Changing name of company and o license

my brother may want to put some capital into my buisness and combine his garage buisness with my 1 truck 2 trailer operation, now my question to those in the know is can we do this without completely doing a new application or can we do it as a major change, it would still be me driving the truck and the operating centre wont change, it would just be the name of the company, obviously if he invests he want to see some sort of new company name incorperating {sp} himself,anyone know how i stand?

sorry mate is a major change so you need to re apply for a licence (see the bold bits below)

WHAT DO I DO IF THERE ARE CHANGES IN THE BUSINESS?
7.21 Licences are not transferable. If changes are made in a business which affect, in law, the
identity of that business, a new licence must be applied for using form GV79.
The Traffic Commissioner must be told in writing:

• of any change in the control of the business - for example, if someone new is taken on as a partner or director, or if the business is converted to a limited company (a new business must apply for its own licence);
  • of any change in the correspondence address of the business (this must be notified within 28 days);
    - of any change in the name of the business;
    -of any change affecting professionally competent partners or nominated transport managers (including any re-organisation that affects their control of vehicles). Notifications should be made on form GV80A enclosing the professional competence certificates for any new Transport Manager;
    -if the licence holder, or any director or partner, is declared bankrupt; and
    -if the company goes into liquidation; an administration order is made; or a
    receiver/manager is appointed.

copied from here

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/G … r%2009.pdf

We had a name change of the company earlier this year, same CPC holder, same operating centre and same fleet, literally the only thing that did change was the name. You have to apply for a license under Schdule 4 which basically means we had to do everything except advertise in the local rag. And it took two months! :angry:

Bugger, think i,ll try and get his money but keep it in my name :smiley:

How about if you both kept your businesses as is but formed a holding company incorporating both business with you both as directors of the holding company with shares comparative to your stake in your own business?

Stan

Stanley Knife:
How about if you both kept your businesses as is but formed a holding company incorporating both business with you both as directors of the holding company with shares comparative to your stake in your own business?

Stan

But we would still need to apply for a license in the name of the holding company wouldnt we? {excuse my ignorance its not something i,ve ever had to look into}