Changing bad habits!

I have my Class C test soon, I know I have some bad habits!
I’ve been driving (cars) 34 years.
I have been a company car driver/rep for 24 years with anual mileage in excess of 40k. Plenty of time and miles to pick up bad habits!
I know my mirror, signal & manoeuver tends to be mirrors/signal simultaneously then manoeuver. Hand brake into neutral tends to be, clutch down, hand brake, switch ignition off, leave in gear.
I have read a few old posts with similar situations so I know I’m not alone.
So my questions are…
How do you change years of bad habits?
What did you do that helped?
Any tips from older trainees would be most welcome.

A few days of lessons should sort that out surely?
I had 30 years of driving and the same bad habbits but 4 days of driving with an instructor ironed em out.

Do you know an advanced driver :question:
If you do then how about asking them to critique you on a 1 hour drive in your car :bulb:

I have been a company car driver/rep for 24 years with anual mileage in excess of 40k. Plenty of time and miles to pick up bad habits!
I know my mirror, indicate & manouver tends to be mirrors/indicate simultaneously then manouver. Hand brake into neutral tends to be, clutch down, hand brake, switch ignition off, leave in gear.
I have read a few old posts with similar situations so I know I’m not alone.
So my questions are…
How do you change years of bad habits?

You’re not alone with this - by a long way! Reading between the lines, it looks like you’re always in a rush. So stop it!! There is no rush when driving a truck - whether or not you’re on test. Choose a good instructor who will be able to coach you out of these habits (that you acknowledge are BAD). And, having passed your test, don’t throw it all away. Instead, take pride in your new found skills. Stay safe and enjoy.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for the replys. Certainly true that I am in a rush, like many reps, constantly pressured to meet and exceed your targets. Hence the reason for wanting to change my line of work.
Pete, I take on board your advice, I will try slowing things down.
Rog, I don’t know any advanced drivers other than my father, he was a police advanced driver. Had plenty of criticism from him over the years. Sadly his driving days are long gone.
What doesn’t help with my lazy use of the hand brake is the modern electric type with auto release. Driving my wife’s car makes me realize that, when trying to pull off with the hand brake on. :open_mouth:

Bear in mind that use of handbrake (should be known as PARK brake) on a truck is not as often as you might think. Similarly, into D for drive at the start of the test and leave it alone until you are going to stop the engine at the end of the test. Even then, most trucks will put themselves into P for park if the engine is stopped.

Listen to a good instructor and you’ll be home and dry. Think about it - but dont overthink it.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing: