changing a wheel.

i’ve had a bit of a bad run. 2 punctures, and 1 blowout in 4 weeks.
the first 2 i changed myself, but i couldn’t do the 3rd, as i didn’t have a spare.
it’s much quicker to do a wheel change myself, than wait for someone to come out.

how much do employers pay their drivers to change a wheel nowadays?

do any other drivers on here change their own wheels?

I know Kane’s drivers (yellow tippers) from Redbourn, St Albans, change their own tyres be it puncture, blow out or normal wearand tear - no extra money though :exclamation:

I doubt anyone pays extra to do the job you are paid to do anyway, how much do employers pay to shut the back doors or close the curtains properly?

We don’t carry spares so it’s not an option to change it myself these days.

When I started with Exhell many years ago I noticed there was no spare. When I reported it to the office I was told they don’t carry them as they didn’t want drivers doing it. To this day I’ve never changed a wheel on a truck.

I used to change wheels on trailers in the 80s, it was part of the course then, I now think the job has moved on since then, don,t think I,d do it now, got more sense, apart from the fact I aint as fit as I was then :cry: , the job don,t pay enough for me to risk my life on the hard shoulder, anyway you,re still getting paid when waiting for callout, so whats the problem, this is the attitude I take now, brought on by crap wages

Wheel Nut:
I doubt anyone pays extra to do the job you are paid to do anyway, how much do employers pay to shut the back doors or close the curtains properly?

I always thought it was just a part of the job. this was until i was given £100. i asked what it was for? he said it would have cost him a lot more to call someone out.
which was nice. :smiley:

I changed one once - in about 1965 I think.

I also started a truck with a starting handle in the same month.

Never done either since. Nor would I.

limeyphil:
I always thought it was just a part of the job. this was until i was given £100 which was nice. :smiley:

How many tyres do you plan to let down in future Phil :wink: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Changing tyres? ■■■■ that [zb]. Paid to drive not to be a tyre wallah. Broken tyre = ring-ring noise in ATS office.

:unamused:

Depends on the situation. On TIR you would have your blowout on a trip & save it until you needed it&later in the week park outside a good cafe ,get lagged,start late next morning & blame it on the blowout. That goes for any other mechanical probs too. That way you got paid & had a good time too :smiley:
No point on UK work.

I’ve probably changed a dozen or so in my time but not for many years now. They won’t even let you change your own tyre on a French autoroute nowadays.

At denby’s you got paid £25 for changing a wheel , in this country or abroad, very rare to call out tyre company, just bring it back and get new spare in yard :confused:

with H&S as it is, some companies won’t let you change a headlight bulb if it involved tilting cab. changed a tyre about 20 years ago, since then, touch wood, not had the need to, or not been carrying a spare.
Managed to puncture 4 trailor tyres once. was driving into a yard that had drop down bollards at the entrance, one of the covers had not dropped properly, and it gashed the inside of both sets ot tyres on a tandom trailer! Problem was, only the back two went down immeadiately, so ATS only bought 2 replacements, when he got the back two off i noticed the gashes in the front two. he had to return to his depot for two more and hour trip. pity it was a bank holiday, and i was on double time! :wink:

Bashed a ■■■■■ -big bang & bent rim & flat tyre -on the steel gate post at the empty box depot Pentalvers Sotton. Luckily I could lift the axle. Got to a parking place ,called 'em out & the guy arrived after a looong wait with a new cover on a new wheel. Took the old one off & realized the tyre was perfect. I gave it to him as a present. :cry:

limeyphil:
the first 2 i changed myself, but i couldn’t do the 3rd, as i didn’t have a spare.
it’s much quicker to do a wheel change myself, than wait for someone to come out.

■■■■ poor planning, you should have done your daily checks properly :unamused:

we give em £50. to change the own tyres, trailer or unit on eurowork,

shuttlespanker:

limeyphil:

■■■■ poor planning, you should have done your daily checks properly :unamused:

1st one, i got a screw in it. 2nd one woke up and it was flat. 3rd one, ok i’ll let you have that one, should’ve done daily checks properly.

sorry Phil, going by your theories from a thread last year when the woman was killed on the M40 by the slapper who was texting whilst driving, IT’S YOUR FAULT FOR NOT DOING YOUR DAILY CHECKS PROPERLY

that was what you was saying about the woman who got killed

Never driven a truck that even carried a spare,most companies now just use a tyre company,which is a good thing as far as i’m concerned ,as i would not want to be changing wheels on a truck unless i owned the truck, as most jobs your are only paid to drive and help load/unload not become a kwik fit fitter,lol