Changing a daf cf headlight bulb

Evening folks.

Mid afternoon had the dipped beam warning come up on the dash & sure enough nearside out. Finished my shift on site & had a look at the driver handbook. No mention how to change the bulb so is it doable by a reasonably hands on driver, if so how? Just narks having to use an offsite workshop & lose got knows how long if there are no rediculous barriers when the bulbs are held by the stores. It’s a 16 plate hook lifter rigid.

Dark by the time I finished but back in tomorrow, in the depot, so will have a better look then.

TIA.

Remove two torx screws on headlight panel, that you see near steps, give panel gentle pull, head light is revealed, undo torx screws holding headlight, swing headlight out change blub, refit…

Drive over pit or
crawl under neath, try and remove bulb from headlight, refit new bulb.

Some plobber will be along shortly to say ring workshop, vor/defect it and refuse to drive a dangerous vehicle, that could kill a fluffy kitten…

That was quick. Thanks BG. :wink:

Last time i changed a CF bulb was on a 18 plate with the later lights, you can go in via the little inspection hole by the steps, But, not much room in there for big mitts, awkward it is Obiwan.

If its previous model with the old lights, you can reach the headlight bulbs from under the grill, easy peasy.

I haven’t seen the design Biggriffin speaks of, or, more likely, i did it the hard way :blush:

You forgot a few things including:

• Last person to have the screwdriver kit lost / pinched that torx piece (unless you have your own).

• Someone has destroyed the torx screw.

• No one in the office thinks bulbs are important so don’t order them, but they do have 3 years worth of post-it notes. And why would anyone ever want a fuse!?

I hope they are easier than the artic CFs post 13 plate. Absolute pain especially as that torx screw is always destroyed, and garage usually resort to lifting cab.

5 min or 30 min job depending how good people are at damaging stuff at your place.

Thanks Juddian. Might have to look in the grill to assess, maybe do a series of photos & post them up if all goes well. If not then I’ll keep my woes private. :laughing:

trevHCS:
5 min or 30 min job depending how good people are at damaging stuff at your place.

That could be nearer an hour with a recent ex colleague & the workshop attention to detail.

Juddian:
Last time i changed a CF bulb was on a 18 plate with the later lights, you can go in via the little inspection hole by the steps, But, not much room in there for big mitts, awkward it is Obiwan.

If its previous model with the old lights, you can reach the headlight bulbs from under the grill, easy peasy.

I haven’t seen the design Biggriffin speaks of, or, more likely, i did it the hard way :blush:

The way you discribe is both models, removing the panel Iirc is handbook way, Norb might be along to confirm.

If you do it through the panel at the steps you will need a hand the size of a 3 year old with 2 thumbs that can bend at 90deg backwards[emoji1787]at least that’s what I found at 04:30 on Wednesday in the ■■■■■■■ rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Artic CF I used to jack the cab up a few inches and slip hand inside the gap created. Its one of the crapiest design faults about!

Did one in Hartshead Moor services on Friday.

From 2014 onwards.

Two torque screws on panel where steps are as others have said.

Remove panel.

Remove black cover on back - top bulb is the dip beam.

Remove bulb by turning counter clockwise. If it’s the first time it’s been changed it’ll be as tight as hell.

Remove and refit bulb - BEWARE THAT IT DOESN’T GO IN THE BULB HOLDER THE WAY YOU THINK IT SHOULD. On the bulb holder there’s a little tab that sticks out. On the bulb there’s also a tab that sticks out on the side with the flat edge. Common sense would have you think that the two tabs should line up but that is not the case. The bulb goes in the other way around. If you do it so both tabs line up the bulb will not sit flat in the bulb holder and your dipped beam will end up pointing skywards. So for everyone who drives a CF/XF where the headlight is lighting up the sky take the bulb out, turn it round and refit. There are also two little dots that stick up out of the bulb holder - these are supposed to go into the groove on the bottom of the bulb and you may find the first time the bulb is changed that you need to squeeze the bulb holder to get them to go into place.

Put bulb holder back into hole, rotate clockwise - the two tabs that stick out from the side of the holder need to go under the two small shiny screws. Again if it’s the first time the bulb has been changed it will be as tight as hell to refit.

One of my pet hates is trucks which need any type of tool to change a headlight bulb.

Harry Monk:
One of my pet hates is trucks which need any type of tool to change a headlight bulb.

Agreed. It can be designed that way, so why not?
Make the opening covered by door so not readily nickable though.

Yes I would agree that the older models were much easier, but it is called progress.
Headlight design is one of my pet moans. Back in the 70’s &80’s almost every truck has the same round headlight that you could buy anywhere for a fiver. Nowadays they are all different and change design on almost an annual cycle and cost hundreds. If all the money spent on development had been channeled into the original design it would now be a fantastic light with cost savings for everybody!
Problem is the value of the aftermarket.

Pete

Yes I would agree that the older models were much easier, but it is called progress.
Headlight design is one of my pet moans. Back in the 70’s &80’s almost every truck has the same round headlight that you could buy anywhere for a fiver. Nowadays they are all different and change design on almost an annual cycle and cost hundreds. If all the money spent on development had been channeled into the original design it would now be a fantastic light with cost savings for everybody!

Pete

Pete

Well I did manage to change the bulb so thanks for the helpfull tips & pointers. Looked behind the grill but still no easy view of the head light rear so off with the torx screws to flip the panel but mindful of biggriffins pointer didn’t move easily as seemed to be fixed on the front face as well as the side.

Eventually went onto the small access panel by the steps the 2 torx screws moved ok so all was good. The black plastic cover was a little stiff but moved once the profanity was uttered. The bulb holder came out after more cursing then finally got the old bulb out. Could have done with a bit more cable to position the holder & new bulb but jeez it was tight what with a clean rag on the new bulb & 1 hand & 3 fingers from t’other all trying to get through the small appature. Took me 25 minutes all in but a satisfied warmth lasted nearly all morning.

Once again thanks to all who posted guidance & tips.

Ive always tilted the cab over to change a CF headlight bulb, and LFs are even worse