Changes to the CPC

JeffA:
I hope they keep the section on how to put diesel into the fuel tank - did you know you must put the nozzle into the hole in the side? That had always escaped me.

Judging from the mess I typically see around the HGV pumps (and smell on my boots afterwards) you’re not the only one…

JeffA:
I hope they keep the section on how to put diesel into the fuel tank - did you know you must put the nozzle into the hole in the side? That had always escaped me.

Several places…

That I attended when ad-blu made its first appearance, suffered from windscreen washer fluid being dispensed into the ad-blu tank.

You know the rules, if it can be ■■■■■■ up, it’ll be ■■■■■■ up.

Franglais:

robroy:
But as I said I’m purely on a ‘‘need to know basis’’ on all this crap, not because I find it difficult, just that I ain’t [zb] interested basically :smiley: …but I still get by with no infringements.

Unless you read it, and take the time to understand it…how do you know, whether or not you need to know about it?
Sounds like one of those speed readers:
“I only read the bits relevant to me”. How can they know what is/isn`t relevant, until after they have read it? :smiley:

The headline “How to drive legally for 12 hours straight” is probably enough to know you don’t have to read any further. [emoji848]

stu675:

Franglais:

robroy:
But as I said I’m purely on a ‘‘need to know basis’’ on all this crap, not because I find it difficult, just that I ain’t [zb] interested basically :smiley: …but I still get by with no infringements.

Unless you read it, and take the time to understand it…how do you know, whether or not you need to know about it?
Sounds like one of those speed readers:
“I only read the bits relevant to me”. How can they know what is/isn`t relevant, until after they have read it? :smiley:

The headline “How to drive legally for 12 hours straight” is probably enough to know you don’t have to read any further. [emoji848]

But if you do read further, you discover that the additional 2 hours also applies to “duty time”, so even if you’ve driven nowhere near 9 hours but have spent an hour here, an hour there dossing on the bunk and are still a long way from home there’s an option there to get you back to base legally and start your weekend Rest on Friday evening rather than having to stay out (another) overnight and run in on Saturday morning.

I can’t say it’s ever likely to feature on my radar (I break out in a cold sweat if I get past 10 hours duty time and have only ever done two nights out in the last 15 years), but I can say that because I’ve bothered to read and understand it. Simply dismissing it as being “not relevant to me” without bothering to understand what it says is a bit bloody silly TBH.

Why is it silly if I’m going to be pointing my truck home before 6 hrs drive, 10 hrs duty expires. If that’s not long enough to get home under normal rules, I will be stopping before they expire.

I’m pretty sure Raymondo that the unforeseen event extension your talking about cannot be used if it happens anytime before you are on your way back to operating centre or home. If it happens at start of shift for example then they will expect you to follow all rules in regards to breaks and rests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boris1971:
I’m pretty sure Raymondo that the unforeseen event extension your talking about cannot be used if it happens anytime before you are on your way back to operating centre or home. If it happens at start of shift for example then they will expect you to follow all rules in regards to breaks and rests.

The words used in the relevant legislation are unforeseen circumstances that occur “during the journey”. Besides that - at what point are you “on your way back”?

It states to reach operational centre or drivers home, not a delivery or collection point, that’s how I read it but I may be wrong.

yourhavingalarf:
Several places…

That I attended when ad-blu made its first appearance, suffered from windscreen washer fluid being dispensed into the ad-blu tank.

Even now I’ve heard of that happening, and I’ve heard drivers say things like “that can’t be ad blu, it’s not blue!” :laughing:

Boris1971:
It states to reach operational centre or drivers home, not a delivery or collection point, that’s how I read it but I may be wrong.

Not wrong at all IMO.

As for the other post on “At which point are you on your way back…” Good question, for my money I’d say if you’ve finished your scheduled work (whether that be collecting or dropping off or a mix of the two) then you’re on your way back, but I would be more focussed on the actual events which would allow you to categorise it as “unforeseen circumstances”.

Zac_A:

Boris1971:

Not wrong at all IMO.

As for the other post on “At which point are you on your way back…” Good question, for my money I’d say if you’ve finished your scheduled work (whether that be collecting or dropping off or a mix of the two) then you’re on your way back, but I would be more focussed on the actual events which would allow you to categorise it as “unforeseen circumstances”.

Interesting.
Assume you`re on your 6th day, and have used both tens already, and are scheduled to do an 8 hour round trip. 4hrs each way. Straight out from base and return.

If you hit a 90min diversion after doing the drop, then you`re free to go to home base. Fine.

If you hit a similar diversion before doing the drop?
I would say that you are going away from base, you could pull a U-turn and get home totally legally, without using this rule.
Your difficulty in getting back is no longer unforeseen. It may have been unforeseen when you left base, but it was foreseeable when you elected to carry on with the schedule, rather than turn back.

If the wording is in the picture above, its exceptional, not unforseen.
Therefore it just needs to be not a regular occurrence. You could even be planned for a nearly 12 HR drive.

stevieboy308:

Jimjam81:
Also on a side note did anyone know that manual entries were now compulsory. Most drivers at our place haven’t got a clue how to do one just stick the card in press ok and crack on drive! Obviously it’s meant to be all in line with clock in or time sheet times to the entries on your card

That’s not strictly true, manual entries are not compulsory, what is compulsory is you must now record your rest periods, it’s always been a requirement to record other work.

Previously the gaps in your records were accepted as rest unless there was evidence to the contrary. Whilst manual entries for the time your card is out makes most sense, you can do a printout and record the rest period and any other work on the back of that, keep it so you always have the previous 28 days of records with you when driving then hand them in before 42 days.

“ensure that all duties conducted since the driver card was last removed from a tachograph are manually entered onto the card record, using the manual entry facility on the tachograph”

If they do…

Drop it to one 7 hour session, I’ll take it and keep my license entitlements until they expire.

As it stands, I’m not enduring another 35 hours (for which I pay for out of my own pocket) again.

stu675:
If the wording is in the picture above, its exceptional, not unforseen.
Therefore it just needs to be not a regular occurrence. You could even be planned for a nearly 12 HR drive.

Exceptional versus unforeseen amounts to the same thing, I wouldn’t worry too much about the semantics in this case.

And no you couldn’t be planned for a nearly 12 hours drive, if DVSA found someone with one of these incidents on their tacho history they’d look into it in great detail, they’d want all the details of the incident, eg invoices for a fitter call out to the side of the road, or details of where the hold up occurred on the roads - they’d then corroborate that with a database of known major incidents where a holdup occurred.

Most likely they’d visit the operating centre to see if these circumstances were happening more frequently than they might expect. When DVSA visit an OC they aren’t dense or pushed for time - these are the guys who spent four & a half years chasing down the culprits making and selling tacho cheat plug-ins
transportengineer.org.uk/tra … ted/214032

So if they thought an operator was “planning” these 12 hour drives they’d happily spend a few days going through all the records, digging like mad, hoping to find something.

yourhavingalarf:

JeffA:

Several places…

You know the rules, if it can be [zb] up, it’ll be [zb] up.

Had a lad where I worked when adblue 1st started . we was at local filling station he was trying put diesel.into adblue tank
I saw him struggling to get the huge hose into the small hole.
I asked him what you doing . He replied the adblue tanks empty needs refilling. I explained but he didn’t really get what I was saying
Thank god the hole on adblue is small otherwise could be some serious damage if he somehow got diesel in there

Roymondo:

robroy:

Roymondo:
It is of course much easier to stay infringement-free for those of us who only work 3 or 4 days a week :wink:

Yep,.that applies to me these days also. :sunglasses:

That’s why I mentioned it :wink:

But seriously, it’s potentially a very useful trick to have up your sleeve if it all goes pear-shaped on a Friday. Unlike the regular “get to the next safe stopping place” emergency wangle, this one still applies even if the “unforeseen circumstances” delays occurred much earlier in the day and gives you a full two hours of additional duty and/or driving time to get you back to base if needed. Just the job if the M5 comes to a shuddering halt in the morning due to some plank taking out a few cars and a length of central barrier and you get held up for 3 hours then still have to take a diversionary route home…

You’d still need to know the rules, what you are (and are not) allowed to do during those two hours and what you MUST do before doing any additional driving.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

So all those Fridays run out of hours needn’t of happened ( suicidal) , why didnt you bring this up years ago when I was stuck at stibnington diner with a can of lilt / ginsters pasty on a Friday night , bet you & your mates preferred to see me suffer , I don’t know how some drivers sleep at night

dozy:
So all those Fridays run out of hours needn’t of happened ( suicidal) , why didnt you bring this up years ago when I was stuck at stibnington diner with a can of lilt / ginsters pasty on a Friday night , bet you & your mates preferred to see me suffer , I don’t know how some drivers sleep at night

Don’t be too down about it, it’s only been an option since August 2020

MeatCannon:

stevieboy308:

Jimjam81:
Also on a side note did anyone know that manual entries were now compulsory. Most drivers at our place haven’t got a clue how to do one just stick the card in press ok and crack on drive! Obviously it’s meant to be all in line with clock in or time sheet times to the entries on your card

That’s not strictly true, manual entries are not compulsory, what is compulsory is you must now record your rest periods, it’s always been a requirement to record other work.

Previously the gaps in your records were accepted as rest unless there was evidence to the contrary. Whilst manual entries for the time your card is out makes most sense, you can do a printout and record the rest period and any other work on the back of that, keep it so you always have the previous 28 days of records with you when driving then hand them in before 42 days.

“ensure that all duties conducted since the driver card was last removed from a tachograph are manually entered onto the card record, using the manual entry facility on the tachograph”

I need to refresh my ADR next year does this still go towards my CPC hours?
The one that really puzzles me is that the trainers who will know the course off by heart have to do 7 hours a year too , that’s another reason i personally think its a farce