Changes to the CPC

I used to be a sailing instructor. I wanted to be out in a boat. The people (crews) who were with me in the same boat wanted to be there. I gained experience and passed exams ,so had meaningful qualifications . Drivers in the main dont want to sit in a class room and some actually resent being there being told stuff that is in some cases wrong or not really applicable to the job that they do. Lets hope that there are fundamental changes to the DCPC . As I am 69 years young I wont be doing it again.

I have just done the 35 hours in France. There is the ability to do a 3 day and then 2day but it has to be completed in a 3month period, and it’s not funded the same.
Every year, it is obligatory for an employer to pay (800 euros for me) into a training fund.

The instructrice made the course interesting, bearing in mind that 14 overweight, know-alls were in the classroom.
She did say that the content of the course changes again in November as it has to be kept current, and she did say about it becoming 7 hours a year.
Lots of load security and eco-driving this time, along with a refresh of rules. I learnt something, which is always nice. As well as getting home for lunch every day. So a good result.

If the dcpc is done away with over there, then everyone will know everything and there will never be another ‘hours’ thread on this site…

The instructor was probably talking ■■■■■ on too much caffeine.

OwenMoney:
. I learnt something, …

Don’t be shy…■■?

Jimjam81:
Also on a side note did anyone know that manual entries were now compulsory. Most drivers at our place haven’t got a clue how to do one just stick the card in press ok and crack on drive! Obviously it’s meant to be all in line with clock in or time sheet times to the entries on your card

That’s not strictly true, manual entries are not compulsory, what is compulsory is you must now record your rest periods, it’s always been a requirement to record other work.

Previously the gaps in your records were accepted as rest unless there was evidence to the contrary. Whilst manual entries for the time your card is out makes most sense, you can do a printout and record the rest period and any other work on the back of that, keep it so you always have the previous 28 days of records with you when driving then hand them in before 42 days.

stu675:

OwenMoney:
. I learnt something, …

Don’t be shy…■■?

:laughing: Sounds like someone doesn’t believe there’s anything to be learned.

Here’s one for you: when can you legally drive up to a potential maximum of 12 hours, and what things do you have to do to make that legal?

Most TMs on refresher courses don’t know this one, hence the TC being very much on favour of TM Refreshers every five years.

I’m on a need to know basis on all this crap,.I can’t visualise an occasion where I’d want o, need or agree to drive 12 ■■■■ hours so my answer would be…
Who cares :laughing:

robroy:
I’m on a need to know basis on all this crap,.I can’t visualise an occasion where I’d want o, need or agree to drive 12 [zb] hours so my answer would be…

It’s if there’s been an exceptional unforeseen event in the shift and to enable you to get back to base or your home to start a regular weekly rest period.

Giving some flexibility which has often been a criticism of the regulation to allow a driver to get home

robroy:
I’m on a need to know basis on all this crap,.I can’t visualise an occasion where I’d want o, need or agree to drive 12 [zb] hours so my answer would be…

Yes but if the soft stuff hits the whirly thing and your day goes horribly wrong, it’s worth knowing what can save you a £300 fine, or potentially something much more inconvenient, like a driver conduct hearing with your local friendly TC

Well said Rob who the hell wants to drive 12 hours

fuse:

People who’ve had a breakdown or been held up by traffic chaos, and who would like to get back to the yard legally to start their weekend off.

Zac_A:

fuse:

People who’ve had a breakdown or been held up by traffic chaos, and who would like to get back to the yard legally to start their weekend off.

I suppose it’s another Tramper v Dayman thing, if I break down it’s all in my 13 hour day, I’m not interested in making time up and ‘‘getting around it’’ by doing extra hours,either driving or spreadover.I’d just find somewhere to park up…that was my point in the ’ Who Cares’ answer.
I also think 9 to 10 hours driving in a day is more than adequate whatever the circumstances.
If I was a dayman and felt the need to get back to yard, fair do’s there is room for some discretion there , but I’d still not be taking minimum rest to make time up, as it would not be down to me…the hold up that is.

robroy:

Zac_A:

fuse:

I suppose it’s another Tramper v Dayman thing, if I break down it’s all in my 13 hour day, I’m not interested in making time up and ‘‘getting around it’’ by doing extra hours,either driving or spreadover.I’d just find somewhere to park up…that was my point in the ’ Who Cares’ answer.
I also think 9 to 10 hours driving in a day is more than adequate whatever the circumstances.
If I was a dayman and felt the need to get back to yard, fair do’s there is room for some discretion there , but I’d still not be taking minimum rest to make time up, as it would not be down to me…the hold up that is.

You may be missing a significant point - the extension of up to 2 hours in driving and/or “spread over” is only available in order to get home or back to base before starting a Weekly Rest (either Regular or Reduced). It doesn’t apply to a day-man mid-week.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

^^^^^^
I stand corrected.
But as I said I’m purely on a ‘‘need to know basis’’ on all this crap, not because I find it difficult, just that I ain’t ■■■■ interested basically :smiley: …but I still get by with no infringements.

robroy:
^^^^^^
I stand corrected.
But as I said I’m purely on a ‘‘need to know basis’’ on all this crap, not because I find it difficult, just that I ain’t [zb] interested basically :smiley: …but I still get by with no infringements.

It is of course much easier to stay infringement-free for those of us who only work 3 or 4 days a week :wink:

robroy:
But as I said I’m purely on a ‘‘need to know basis’’ on all this crap, not because I find it difficult, just that I ain’t [zb] interested basically :smiley: …but I still get by with no infringements.

Unless you read it, and take the time to understand it…how do you know, whether or not you need to know about it?
Sounds like one of those speed readers:
“I only read the bits relevant to me”. How can they know what is/isn`t relevant, until after they have read it? :smiley:

Franglais:

robroy:

Unless you read it, and take the time to understand it…how do you know, whether or not you need to know about it?
Sounds like one of those speed readers:
“I only read the bits relevant to me”. How can they know what is/isn`t relevant, until after they have read it? :smiley:

Aye if you like. :neutral_face:

Roymondo:

robroy:
^^^^^^
I stand corrected.

It is of course much easier to stay infringement-free for those of us who only work 3 or 4 days a week :wink:

Yep,.that applies to me these days also. :sunglasses:

robroy:

Roymondo:

Yep,.that applies to me these days also. :sunglasses:

That’s why I mentioned it :wink:

But seriously, it’s potentially a very useful trick to have up your sleeve if it all goes pear-shaped on a Friday. Unlike the regular “get to the next safe stopping place” emergency wangle, this one still applies even if the “unforeseen circumstances” delays occurred much earlier in the day and gives you a full two hours of additional duty and/or driving time to get you back to base if needed. Just the job if the M5 comes to a shuddering halt in the morning due to some plank taking out a few cars and a length of central barrier and you get held up for 3 hours then still have to take a diversionary route home…

You’d still need to know the rules, what you are (and are not) allowed to do during those two hours and what you MUST do before doing any additional driving.

I hope they keep the section on how to put diesel into the fuel tank - did you know you must put the nozzle into the hole in the side? That had always escaped me.