Change to requirements CPC?

Just come across this …

http://www.nolgvbrokers.co.uk/category-c-acquired-rights-and-driver-cpc-the-rules-have-changed/

Does this effectively mean that as an aquired rights licence holder I dont have to do an initial 35 hours of CPC training to get my card, and that just modules 2 and 4 of initial training is all I need to do? ( still requiring the periodic 35 hours of course )

This has apparently been in force for a while but only recently been promulgated to trainers.

If this is the case - any trainers offering this in the W Mids send me a pm !

Gerry

Yes, that is the case and has been for the last few weeks. But the tech people at DVSA haven’t got the booking system sorted so it can be long-winded.

Another way of doing it, which we do on a regular basis, is to use a trainer who has practical C and CE training approved for driver cpc periodic training. That way you end up with your driver cpc with no extra effort and minimal additional cost.

Just a thought.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As has been said acquired rights holders now have 2 options for obtaining their first DQC card. Before deciding on which route to take you may want to consider to pro’s and con’s of both options.

Taking the 2 Initial CPC tests
Pro’s:-

1. It will save possibly taking 5 days off work to attend classroom courses
  2. It can be studied at home in your own time and the Mod2 test taken locally at a time to suit you
  3. If Mod 2 has been passed before the driver training starts, it might be possible to take the Mod 4 test at some point during the practical driver training.
    Con’s
  4. Both tests come with a Pass/Fail possibility so retests may be needed
  5. It will not provide the same in depth industry knowledge as periodic training

Taking the 35 hours Periodic training
Pro’s

1. There are no tests to pass. You only need attend to become qualified
  2. There may be certain subjects that you would like in depth understanding of. ie Drivers hours, Tachographs etc
  3. Some or all the hours may be taken at the same time as the practical driver training (subject to trainer approval)
    Con’s
  4. It might require you to attend 5 days classroom training, possibly meaning time off work
  5. It may well be more expensive that the Initial CPC option

Thanks guys.

In my situation taking the 2 intial modules would be the lesser of 2 evils - taking a week off work to sit in a classroom is not a good option, and finding local trainers willing to do a weeks course anyway is like finding hens teeth, unless you want a personal course created - which for one person is not going to happen.

Studying at home for Module 2 is not a problem - there is much information and study material available online.

If Mod 2 has been passed before the driver training starts, it might be possible to take the Mod 4 test at some point during the practical driver training.

What is meant by practical driver training? do you mean something like a half day course to prepare for the Module 4 ‘show and tell’ type thing ?

I wont be doing any courses to learn how to drive Lorries or Coaches etc, I just need my card so as to do sporadic deliveries to other company customers - and to tow a trailer with a pickup (still for company work)

So does Module 2 have to be booked by a training company or can I book it myself anywhere - I understand Module 4 cant be taken until Module 2 is completed, how do you book Module 4? can it be booked ‘in anticipation’ of passing module 2 or do you have to wait a while?

Thanks

Gerry

You can book your own Mod 2 online. You cant book Mod 4 until Mod 2 is passed. I recommend you contact a trainer, with the correct equipment, for training and they will organise the test. You will need a vehicle which they will supply.

The training is around 2 or 3 hours depending on group size.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Gerry,

As an acquired rights holder I went down the route of doing the 2 and 4 tests. You have to contact Pearson Vue on 0300 200 1188 or customercare@pearson.com as the online booking system hasn’t been updated yet. They will then run an eligibility check with the DVSA which could take up to 2 weeks. When that comes through they will phone you back and you can book your module 2 over the phone.
I then went to a training company and had a couple of hours training before my test, which I passed with 100%. Definitely worth getting your hands on the wagon before the test so you can act out the scenarios. Search youtube for LGV module 4 and you’ll find some handy vids on there.
As Peter said try and get your driving hours towards the CPC also. I believe I am right in saying, if you get your initial DQC via modules 2 and 4, then also get your driving training hours (C and CE = 28hrs) you will then have 14hrs left to do which will cover you for the 5 years after your initial CPC runs out (I think that makes sense). Basically with little extra cost and effort you could be covered for ten years. I could be wrong but that’s what I’ve been led to believe. Unfortunately I went with a school that wasn’t registered to convert the driving hours to CPC. Ah the benefit of hindsight.
Anyway, good luck with it all.

Cheers

Rich

Richienic:
I believe I am right in saying, if you get your initial DQC via modules 2 and 4, then also get your driving training hours (C and CE = 28hrs) you will then have 14hrs left to do which will cover you for the 5 years after your initial CPC runs out (I think that makes sense). Basically with little extra cost and effort you could be covered for ten years. I could be wrong

Not wrong but mods 2 and 4 must be passed before taking any dcpc approved practical C lessons because periodic hours cannot be granted in advance of initial mods

The down side for anyone who already has some periodic hours but not all 35 who chooses to do mods 2 and 4 is that those periodic hours will be lost as periodic cannot count before initial is passed

ROG:
The down side for anyone who already has some periodic hours but not all 35 who chooses to do mods 2 and 4 is that those periodic hours will be lost as periodic cannot count before initial is passed

I see. There had to be a catch with that one. So it’s possible as long as you do 2 and 4 first.

I"m afraid that scenario won’t work. Even though a person can pass Mods 2&4 before the practical driving, the CPC card will not be issued until the driving test (module 3) has been passed. It is therefore not possible to begin the 35 hours periodic training until after cat C has been passed, unless the person already has a C1 entitlement on the licence.

LGVTrainer:
I"m afraid that scenario won’t work. Even though a person can pass Mods 2&4 before the practical driving, the CPC card will not be issued until the driving test (module 3) has been passed. It is therefore not possible to begin the 35 hours periodic training until after cat C has been passed, unless the person already has a C1 entitlement on the licence.

It is for those with acquired rights so they must already have a LGV category of some kind

LGVTrainer:
As has been said acquired rights holders now have 2 options for obtaining their first DQC card. Before deciding on which route to take you may want to consider to pro’s and con’s of both options.

Taking the 2 Initial CPC tests
Pro’s:-

1. It will save possibly taking 5 days off work to attend classroom courses
  2. It can be studied at home in your own time and the Mod2 test taken locally at a time to suit you
  3. If Mod 2 has been passed before the driver training starts, it might be possible to take the Mod 4 test at some point during the practical driver training.
    Con’s
  4. Both tests come with a Pass/Fail possibility so retests may be needed
  5. It will not provide the same in depth industry knowledge as periodic training

Taking the 35 hours Periodic training
Pro’s

1. There are no tests to pass. You only need attend to become qualified
  2. There may be certain subjects that you would like in depth understanding of. ie Drivers hours, Tachographs etc
  3. Some or all the hours may be taken at the same time as the practical driver training (subject to trainer approval)
    Con’s
  4. It might require you to attend 5 days classroom training, possibly meaning time off work
  5. It may well be more expensive that the Initial CPC option

So, I passed my cat C (class 2) around September 2014, done module 2&4 weach I had to study and go for exam and pass, got my CPC card valid for next few years, that means I’m fully legal regarding that matter?? Asking this as agency who I paid all my licence fees, they are after me to pay them another £300 to do the 35hours, I already paid £300 to obtain my CPC card with the modules I mentioned above! Are they trying to get more money from me,or their story it’s legit? Appreciate your help as I’m a new driver and feeling very confused at moment :-/

You need to complete 35 hours before the expiry of the current DQC. Doesn’t matter when you do them - but they’re not likely to get cheaper as time goes on.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Woah, I’m confused now. I have C1 on my licence (passed my car test in 1994) and did 35 hours CPC to get my DQC card, Do I now have to do these 2 and 4 modules? :confused:

sammy770:
Woah, I’m confused now. I have C1 on my licence (passed my car test in 1994) and did 35 hours CPC to get my DQC card, Do I now have to do these 2 and 4 modules? :confused:

NO

You are already a DQC holder for LGV so only periodic can be done for LGV

ROG:

sammy770:

NO

You are already a DQC holder for LGV so only periodic can be done for LGV

Phew! Thanks Rog