Change to driver cpc _ cat d

I am well aware that this wont interest many as this only applies to potential CAT D or D1 holders.

If you passed your car test before 1997, you have a choice of doing 35 hours periodic training OR doing Mods 2 and 4. Either will produce the same dcpc expiry. But, anyone holding a pre 1997 licence also has C1 as a minimum. So if they were to do Mods 2 and 4 I presume it will state D, DE on the Driver Qualification Card whereas if they do the 35 hours they will have C, CE, D, DE on the DQC.

I can also think of other interesting scenarios but we can get bogged down in this!

To most wannabee bus and coach drivers it’s probably of no consequence. But I found it interesting.

To emphasise, this change has no bearing on wannabee truck drivers.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

This came into force in August 2013 and for those that had already done mod 2 but not mod 4 then they needed to pass mod 4

those that had not done mod 2 were put only in the periodic system

In effect that does not give a choice

The change you refer to ROG was the acknowledgement of acquired rights for the D1 with 101 restriction which previously was disallowed. At that point, the instructions we received were that anyone with a pre 97 licence would ONLY be able to get dcpc by periodic training. The difference now is that there is a choice of Mod 2 and 4 OR periodic training.

Having said that, I have spoken with another reputable trainer this morning and he has never used the periodic training for this - always Mods 2 and 4.

In other words, it’s a mess.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I apologise Peter.

It seems this is a recent thing in giving those with D1 101 the choice between doing either the two initial modules or the periodic as I just confirmed with the driver cpc hotline

Wish they would do that for those with the pre 97 C1 who want to go for C after September this year … maybe they will …

(for cat D1 or D)

Peter Smythe:
If you passed your car test before 1997, you have a choice of doing 35 hours periodic training OR doing Mods 2 and 4

Wish they would do that for C and C1 too. It would make zero sense to me if after September brand new drivers with old pre 97 licenses had to do 35 hours, as the intent of the grandfather rights was to allow the existing drivers to get into the system.

ROG:
Wish they would do that for those with the pre 97 C1 who want to go for C after September this year … maybe they will …

Yes, but I would go further - after September any driver who doesn’t hold a DQC either drives very little or is exempt. So I think after September when the majority of the industry have got their cards, anyone should be allowed to do mods 2 and 4 to get their first DQC.

After all, I would probably learn far more from mod 4 than I would doing these 35 hours.

It would be an interesting test case for the European Court of human rights, why should an older driver be penalised compared to a younger driver if they both pass cat C on the same day (after September), and one can be earning after 1 days training (mod 4) and one needs to do 5 days of classroom. Ok, weekly rant over!

I have a DQC Card for PCV.
To have it for LGV I have to do another Mod2 and Mod4.
You’re right. PCV and LGV is slightly different things.
But after that it’s up to me which periodic training to do, LGV or PCV because it will cover both of them!
No sense for me!