CHANGE OF ADDRESS

Morning all,
Just moving house and will need to change my address on both licence and tacho card.
I understand how to go about this with the tacho card, but with the licence, not sure what I’m supposed to do as regards keeping copies of the plastic and paper licence sections whilst awaiting the new docs/card. I do a lot of agency work and every new place I work want to see both parts of my licence (not unreasonably). Any advice please?
Thanks very much,
Paul.

Either scan both parts and carry them on a memory stick or take colour photocopy. Send it recorded delivery and it gets processed faster at DVLA

I’m not 100% certain but I’m pretty sure I read in one off the truck mags recently that you no longer need to update the address on your digi card. Double check but I’m sure this is correct it’ll give you one less thing to worry about.

When I renew my licence I normally keep the old one and tick the ‘lost’ box on the form. I presume you can also do this when updating an address so would do so myself.

mrpj:
When I renew my licence I normally keep the old one and tick the ‘lost’ box on the form. I presume you can also do this when updating an address so would do so myself.

Am I right in saying that to change address is free but to replace a lost is £20 ?

Might be worth £20 to ‘lose it’ …

No legal requirement to change address on digicard

ROG:
Am I right in saying that to change address is free but to replace a lost is £20 ?

Might be worth £20 to ‘lose it’ …

Good point although personnally I’d still pay the £20, photocopies are not accepted if a category’s lost :bulb:

I’ve moved a couple of time recently and popped into the local DVLA office to send off my license. They send it off, give you a receipt and you retain your digi-card and receive a replacement in the post. If the receipts are good enough for VOSA and the old bill, surely they are adequate for an agency… Who must know of your change of address so can corroborate it with any client?

Non of the above dude. Go online and do it. I couldn’t actually believe I was dealing with the DVLA when I did this as it was soooo easy. You’ll need a government gateway password. That’s probably the hardest bit to sort out. One that’s done you apply for new DL and it’s sent out in the post. As soon as it arrives you cut up the old one and pop it in the post along with a reference number you were given online and it’s done, free of chare too. I did it inbetween passing my test and sitting my CPC.

gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Well thanks for all that advice folks! Think I might go with Ailsa’s suggestion and see how I get on with that, although I do know the Govt Gateway is a bit of a nightmare to sort out if past experience is anything to go by…
Anyway, all suggestions much appreciated, thanks very much one and all.

Hello All,

Sorry to jack the post but the title is quite fitting (almost),

I am trying to apply for provisional entitlement for class c + e on my old paper license, the problem is i live overseas and my old UK address is still on it,my plan is to send the license to my friend in UK with the appropriate forms filled in and signed by me,then have him post it to DVLA so it is returned to his address after which he can fedex it back to me.

The question is will they send it back to the address on the license ? ( which is no good as i haven,t lived there for 20 years) Or will they ask why i haven’t changed the address on it ? ( which i haven,t due to having no fixed address )

Any info regarding this headache would be very much appreciated.

Thanks…

ps

Also need to ask can we still use the paper license for entitlement or do we need to change to the photocard ?

I think any overseas address would be questioned… I’m almost certain of that, and yes you MUST update to a photocard I’m afraid.

@pja666 let us know how you get on out of curiosity. My other half just did this last night for his provisional.

Thanks for the reply Ailsa,

I just read that as of 2015 all paper license will become obsolete, anyone found driving with the paper license will face a penalty of 1000 pound,

So to any of you,s out there who are living overseas , don’t come back to the UK after 2015 and rent a car or drive your parents or mates etc as you wont be legal,

Ps Dont expect to be able to renew your paper license via mail as you have to be a UK resident with prove of address WTF!

CHEERS.

Ailsa:
@pja666 let us know how you get on out of curiosity. My other half just did this last night for his provisional.

Hi Alisa, will let you know when I get round to it - up to my neck with kids and rainswept Welsh Campsite right now!
Cheers,
Paul,

I’m sat in a rainswept Watford gap at 9hrs 58mins waiting to be rescued :frowning: