Change from 1000X20 to 1100X22:5 wheels

Another welcome innovation in the very late 60’s was the introduction of Tubeless 1100 x 22:5 wheels my first new motor a D1000 came equipped on 1000X20 Michelin X tyres the second new motor I bought in late '69 a Mastiff unit I specc’d on 1100X 22:5 Michelin and from then on every new unit I bought was shod on tubeless. There was no contest as far as I was concerned as the 1000X20 was built up of 6 pieces Tyre, tube, flap, wheel, rim and locking ring !! plus all the heat that this set up generated ! 1100 X22:5 = tyre and wheel !! end off !! :wink:
Has anyone else got memories from those times regarding springs and tyres ? :wink: Cheers Bewick.

Hi Dennis, Hope you are well,
This is a coincidence as I was standing next to a Mercedes Atego with split rims on today, and I was
thinking how glad I was to not having to deal with these for quite some time & hopefully I will never
have to strip one down now or in the future, mind you I probably couldn’t if I tried but I won’t.

One thing about tyres nowadays that baffles me is why the width is quoted in millimetres but the rim size is in inches.