Chances of being employed with points on licence?

hi guys

I’ve been unemployed for 6 months and its gettin frustrating to say the least

I’ve turned my attention to the possibility of doing a HGV course - which in itself isnt cheap. I know the jobs are there good or bad - right now i cant be fussy!

However, I have two MS90’s on my licence to the total of 12 points (MS90 - Faliure to provide details).

If i was to obtain the licence would the 12 points leave me where i am or is there a chance i would get employment? I dont want to invest that amount in getting the licence and then still being stuck here.

I spoke to driver hire the agency who did say most companies allow at most 6 points and that with agency work it wouldnt be easy.

Mani:
I spoke to driver hire the agency who did say most companies allow at most 6 points and that with agency work it wouldnt be easy.

Also MS90’s aren’t liked by insurance companys unfortunately. Good luck with it though :slight_smile:

I’d say don’t bother and save your money most firms won’t touch you but how long have you got left on your points good luck with your choise I know what I would do.

if you havent got long to wait for the points to come off might be worth getting your licences and then looking for work after , it would mean you have your pass and the 2 year thing will be counting down one less of a problem , only if you have the money though as is a lot of expense to be not able to get anything back for a while , but as said most places 6 points is the most they will accept any more and is very hard ,
it will be hard for you though and maybe not a viable option at the moment :cry:

Unfortunately I got two years left on the points!

I was thinking to do it and count down the two years but the financial spend is a lil too high to wait around.

With 12 points forget it i know guys with experience and no points that struggle i doubt with 12 points any insurer would touch you dont even waste money training wont do u any favours

Hi there I don’t know if you have provisional entitlement for LGV’s but f not when you ask for one you have to put down all your points and in the form there this

Your conduct
If you are applying to renew your licence after being disqualified from driving in the United Kingdom or another country, please give details
of your disqualification.
All applicants for and holders of lorry and bus driving licence entitlement, are subject to more stringent conduct requirements than ordinary licence holders.
When applying for these licences, applicants must declare any findings of guilt, fixed penalties and cautions for offences relating to driver’s hours, vehicle roadworthiness or loading.
In addition, applicants applying for a minibus or bus licence must declare any other findings of guilt, fixed penalties and cautions, even if they are not driving offences, for example, assault.
If you are under 21 years of age, penalty points recorded against you may prevent you from holding lorry entitlement.
The Secretary of State for Transport may refer any case where a question arises relating to the conduct of a lorry or bus driver to the Traffic Commissioner
for the area in which you live.
In all cases of conduct, the Traffic Commissioner, acting on behalf of the Secretary of State, will decide whether or not to grant you entitlement to drive lorries or buses. In so doing all endorsements on your licence will be taken into account, together with all other relevant findings of guilt, fixed penalties and cautions, before making a decision.

and as other’s have said you could waste some money

hope it helps

I was able to get C provisional with 14 points.

I guess I was lucky to not have a visit to the TC.

If your heart is set on it, go and do it but be prepared for lots of knocking on doors when you pass

I’ve got no points, nearly 12 years Class C experience, yet when I tried to apply via agency for “immediate start…2 years exp etc” the agency made all the excuses under the sun once I said I’d been on tippers for that time. I think Mani will only get a start with a Hell Driver outfit, then of course there’s a high chance of getting a speeding fine…bang goes license. I take it you can have it revoked at 6 points in your first 2 years?

Muckaway:
I take it you can have it revoked at 6 points in your first 2 years?

This only applies to the first licence you get which in most cases will be the car licence.