Chance of a full time job

Evening all,

I’ve been back on the agency a little while but have had a call to attend an assessment and interview. This interview is for Stobart out of Teesport. Now me personally, right now I don’t have room to pick and choose jobs so I can’t really turn it down.

My question then is this, do any of you have any recent experience of the assessment and interview day, and could you offer some advice at all?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can do so.

Usual thing mate.

Stobart like to do a 2 day induction that shows you how they want you to do EVERYTHING, so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Dress smart for the interview, if dropping / picking up a trailer on assessment, use the air suspension, they like the 5th wheel to stay horizontal after you’ve dropped a trailer and when picking back up, they don’t want all the grease off the 5th wheel all over the bash plate of the trailers :wink:

Cheers bud, seems pretty standard then.

One thing though is they have said the assessment and interview are at the same appointed time…how the hell should I dress? Boots and a shirt don’t strike me as appealing for an interview and driving assessment.

if was me would dress smart casual, bring clean boots, hard hat and hi-vis vest in the car. if they do interview first and say they want you to go driving just say you will run out to the car to get boots and vest.

pump:
if was me would dress smart casual, bring clean boots, hard hat and hi-vis vest in the car. if they do interview first and say they want you to go driving just say you will run out to the car to get boots and vest.

Or visa versa I guess would surely be acceptable, considering.

Polo shirt, or shirt? :laughing: :blush:

Stick some work kit it in a bag and take it with you.
Then if they want you to drive you can get changed.
Then you can appear in clean smart work wear and show them what you’ve got
Try not to pull out wrinkled smelly grease covered jeans and tee shirt.
Nice clean high viz vest, boots,work trousers and polo shirt.
It shows not only that your prepared but smart enough to be part of their “team”

Stobart get a lot of slagging on here but a jobs ajob
Good luck

Soldier z:
Stick some work kit it in a bag and take it with you.
Then if they want you to drive you can get changed.
Then you can appear in clean smart work wear and show them what you’ve got
Try not to pull out wrinkled smelly grease covered jeans and tee shirt.
Nice clean high viz vest, boots,work trousers and polo shirt.
It shows not only that your prepared but smart enough to be part of their “team”

Stobart get a lot of slagging on here but a jobs ajob
Good luck

Thanks for that, certainly appreciated. As you say a job is a job, and not many people can afford to turn jobs down.

When doing a pre trip check,test the horn and check if enough wash in the windscreen bottle.
Check road tax and O licence.May have put a dud one in to see if you noticed.
All the tyres,a good nose around.
Seat belt condition.
Good luck.

I had an interview at Stobarts in Sherburn 18 months ago, they did it in 3 parts, first a multi-choice quiz on highway code signs, ( study the obscure ones not the ones you see everyday :wink: ) . Also basic drivers hours regs, remember its all multiple choice so the correct answer is always in front of you, if you pass this ( 75-80 % plus is good enough ) you get a driving assessment and walkround check, around the local roads for 30 mins approx, use both hands on the wheel and check your mirrors constantly, the ADI that rode shotgun with me stated outright that he failed half a dozen old hands for both these faults. If you pass this then its an interview with the OPs manager, who will outline the shifts on offer and rates of pay, type of work etc. He will shake your hand say he will be in touch. I had the assessment on friday pm and a phone call on Monday at noon offering a job, which i subsequently turned down. Hope that helps and good luck.

Make a point of noting the height of the trailer and make sure the fifth wheel clip is in.
If the trailer is loaded have a look and make sure its secure and safe to run with. Small ■■■■ points i know but they like that stuff trust me
Good luck. Theres a lot worse jobs about

roadrunner:
I had an interview at Stobarts in Sherburn 18 months ago, they did it in 3 parts, first a multi-choice quiz on highway code signs, ( study the obscure ones not the ones you see everyday :wink: ) . Also basic drivers hours regs, remember its all multiple choice so the correct answer is always in front of you, if you pass this ( 75-80 % plus is good enough ) you get a driving assessment and walkround check, around the local roads for 30 mins approx, use both hands on the wheel and check your mirrors constantly, the ADI that rode shotgun with me stated outright that he failed half a dozen old hands for both these faults. If you pass this then its an interview with the OPs manager, who will outline the shifts on offer and rates of pay, type of work etc. He will shake your hand say he will be in touch. I had the assessment on friday pm and a phone call on Monday at noon offering a job, which i subsequently turned down. Hope that helps and good luck.

Shame they aren’t so fussy about paying a decent rate!!

Stobbies make me smile. They pretend to want the best in the business (see above), yet they offer a paltry rate, easily beatable just about anywhere.

Anyhow, good luck with it. I wouldn’t worry. From some of the Stobbies’ driving standards I’ve seen, if you don’t crash you’ll get the job. :grimacing:

Truckulent:

roadrunner:

Stobbies make me smile. They pretend to want the best in the business (see above), yet they offer a paltry rate, easily beatable just about anywhere.

Anyhow, good luck with it. I wouldn’t worry. From some of the Stobbies’ driving standards I’ve seen, if you don’t crash you’ll get the job. :grimacing:

Indeed, precisely the reason i turned it down, 1 hour commute each way and rate too low, the ops manager did mention he thought the fuel costs were his “main concern” on the rate offered :laughing: . But that said its easier to get a job when you are in a job, i always view jobs as stepping stones nothing more and there are a few companies around West Yorkshire that pay less than Stobarts , run clapped out trucks and just general cowboy outfits. I was impressed with the depot spotlessly clean and all units and trailers i gave a cursory glance at were in very good order, i have no axe to grind with them at all and should rates improve ( yes and pigs might fly, i know …) i would re-apply.

Take sum clean ovies. Talk with a lisp. And if it snows on ur assesment when u lose traction keep ur midlift down don’t try dumping air from it… Call the recovery company. And ull prob get the job… It worked so well for 2 of them, they made a telly program :unamused: :smiley: THIS IS A BIT O FUN. TRY NOT TO TAKE IT 2 SERIOUSLY :laughing:

roadrunner:

Truckulent:

roadrunner:

Indeed, precisely the reason i turned it down, 1 hour commute each way and rate too low, the ops manager did mention he thought the fuel costs were his “main concern” on the rate offered :laughing: . But that said its easier to get a job when you are in a job, i always view jobs as stepping stones nothing more and there are a few companies around West Yorkshire that pay less than Stobarts , run clapped out trucks and just general cowboy outfits. I was impressed with the depot spotlessly clean and all units and trailers i gave a cursory glance at were in very good order, i have no axe to grind with them at all and should rates improve ( yes and pigs might fly, i know …) i would re-apply.

I have no axe to grind either. Decent trucks (if a little naff with the wraps they use), but still fine. Typical work. The only issue I have with them is they pay shelf stacker (or less) wages, yet pretend to be such a pro outfit and demand the highest calibre people. You don’t get the highest calibre with the wages they currently pay, sadly.

Agency have asked me a few times to work over there. But until they add about 50% to the rates they reckon are ‘maximum’ for Stobbies I’ll be steering clear of the mean green machines! :smiley:

‘Shelf stacker rate’ it might be but like it or not it’s also Class 1 rate. The fact that they need to pay no more to get people in the saddle defines that.

What makes me smile is lorry drivers who seem to think that they’re above shelf stackers, Tesco checkout people and the other occupations trotted out derisively in an attempt to portray lorry driving as some kind of super-skilled, country-would-collapse occupation. It is unskilled work, simple as that. Just like stacking shelves is.

70 hours sat on my arse looking out the window. Easy peasey.
70 hours on your feet stacking shelves? Er no thanks.

can someone please show me where i can find these elusive shelf stacking jobs for £9.50-£14.50 an hour? which company is it? Just i can get my missus a job then as it sounds a bit hard work for me… might break a sweat… plus cant drink coffee and eat my pork pie when i want to either!

I cant find the anywhere in jobcentre… And Yes I wear a green shirt :grimacing: