chain skips

anyone able to explain the 7 levers on a skip motor?

Main arms up and down. Extra reach on the arms x 2. Legs up and down x 2. Tipping hook. The last one could be a couple of things I think, handle to control your revs/dead mans handle.

Arms down fast (empty skips only)
Arms up and down
Extra reach, both arms,
Extra reach left,
Extra reach right,
Jack leg left,
Jack leg right,

Hooks on the small separate valve and the revs will be on a switch nowadays, the switch held in with the cable tie, is a form of deadman switch.

cheers for the responses anyone got any pictures to match the levers up to the functions

reason im asking im in seeing a local firm next week want to have a bit prior knowledge

thanks man was at my mates truck today think button layout was slightly different he had the up and down arms 2nd in from right with the faster up and down the furthest right :confused:

Yikes when I drove one they used to have
1 for the stabilisers
1 for the lift beam
1 for the tip/lock hook
and a throttle control :open_mouth:

edinburgh_newbie:
thanks man was at my mates truck today think button layout was slightly different he had the up and down arms 2nd in from right with the faster up and down the furthest right :confused:

Don’t fret about it - it will likely be labelled, or if it is old and knackered then ask! They will get you to play around in the yard first anyway and that is the place to make mistakes.

th2013:

edinburgh_newbie:

Don’t fret about it - it will likely be labelled, or if it is old and knackered then ask! They will get you to play around in the yard first anyway and that is the place to make mistakes.

and make sure ur chains are secure and not swinging like a pole dancer :wink:

stick at it im on my 4th week doing skips and can operate the controls now with my eyes closed, plus love the job, handy wee number

The lever layout will depend from truck to truck, we have 5 trucks and each one is different

edinburgh_newbie:

Probably a hyva or nooteboom back end. All layouts of controls will differ depending on the make Webb, hyva, maclift, gurgen etc but they all do the same thing. The fast offload is really for dropping emptys in the yard or on building sites, you wouldn’t I hope slam a bin down on your own block pave or Tarmac drive so don’t do it on someone else’s. Off loading a full bin especially a heavy one will ■■■■ the rams up the time you save will soon be cancelled out by the time the tricks off the road having the rams repaired or replaced don’t do it!. Be careful who you take advice off watch those who fly around the yard arms horizontal making 20 shunts onto a stack of bins, chains swinging because they can’t be arsed bringing the arms back up a bit and leave them to it don’t copy them it saves no time. The majority of skip drivers are not greatly respected. Always in a rush drive around like loonies ,chains swinging of skips because they can’t be arsed to pull over and put them back on, half arsed attempts at sheeting a load don’t become one of them. Always sheet loads up, even if it looks like there’s nothing that would fly off its quicker to sheet it then it is to pull over and explain to the old bill why you haven’t whilst your picking ■■■■ up on the side of the road and always fold the net away neatly it’s easier to roll a folded net over a load and unfold it to cover the bin then to through a screwed up tangled net on and spent 5 minutes ■■■■■ around trying to un tangle it. And the first thing to do when you pull onto a job is look up! Telephone cables and electric lines cost a bomb to have put up and it won’t go down well pruning someone’s tree. Hope there’s some useful pointers in there for you.

Many years ago I collected a skip from a commercial building site ,alI I had was a net no sheet.I didnt know that there were boxes of polystyrene chips in the skip once I got going it was like a blizzard behind me.