Certificate of professional competence

i saw an advertisement in truck stop news for a company looking for holders of C.P.C. and i was wondering if anybody is doing this or was doing it and what the rewards were…and the downfalls…for example how can someone in London act as a transport manager for a company in Liverpool…would they have to visit the company for example to look at the tachos or are they sent through the post…is it risky ? as a persons repute is on the line not to forget losing his c.p.c…answers on a postcard please. :laughing:
have a nice day

a mate of mine (who is a member of trucknet) showed me the paperwork sent out by probably the biggest / best known of these companies - it all sounds fine but as you say how does someone who’s remote, with several firms to “look after” do so in an acceptable way?

judging by some articles in the press recently (montana freight ltd?) they’re not popular with the traffic commissioners, and the papers i was shown stress a lot about how you are only doing it in the interim, and how you’re supposed to actively help the firm towards finding and/or training their own c.p.c holder

now i’m not the brightest person but passed both mine first go at 17 years old, so anyone who cannot pass a “multiple guess” exam about their own job maybe shouldn’t be responsible for running trucks - to give a comparison it’s a bit like a surgeon not passing his medical exams but instead employing a part time person to come into the hospital now and again, while he still operates on people on his own - a bit extreme i know but you get my drift :question:

The test isn’t as easy as it used to be, but it’s still fairly straight forward. I looked into the possibility of mearning an easy buck, but the old saying still stands, “There aint no such thing as a free lunch!” My advice, for what its worth, steer clear.

its not a problem of taking the test, i dont need to, i have the national and international cpc`s…just thought i could earn some pennies whilst sitting at home on my backside…and wondered what the risks were…
have a nice day

In short; the risk is that as CPC holder it’s your ‘repute’ that is on the line should the wheels come off either physically or metaphorically. It is you that will be standing before the TC, and saying that you lived a couple of hundred miles away and only saw the tachos once a month if somebody remembered to send them to you will cut absolutely zero ice in a Public Inquiry. Traffic Commissioners are also getting very nervous about ‘absentee’ TMs’ and are now including a form with the licence application requiring you to state which licences you are acting as CPC holder for. Remember, making a false statement to obtain an Operator Licence will get you a trip to Court. Afterwards you can guarantee a PI and loosing your ‘repute’ as well.

Don’t forget that there is much more to being TM than looking at tachos. You have to be able to exert ‘effective’ control over the transport operation, difficult if your at the other end of the country. If maintenance inspections are missed or the frequency slips from the agreed time limit, the next VE visit won’t be so friendly!

This sounds awfully negative but you are literally putting your head in the noose and standing on the trap door! Just be careful and ask why the company hasn’t got it’s own TM. On a brighter note, once you’ve passed the CPC exams you cannot have the qualification taken away from you, bit like O-levels, A-levels etc.

many thanks for the information, i`ll give the long distance management a miss…i would ideally like to get into the t.m. line of work, and with my experience i could make a great contribution…but…like truck driving itself no one wants to let you in the door without real experience of management, so i think thats a no go area too…back to the drawing board i suppose…
have a nice day

Oh well, im in a similar situ then trucky, i have got my cpc since 89, but if the experience thing screws ya, looks like i’ll struggle to get in the traffic office if I want to anyway.