Central roadways / hamford transport / thomas barker

Two companies Central Roadways and Hamford Transport were both operated from the same base on outskirts of Willington village (Bedfordshire) on the A603 Bedford to Sandy road in the 1960s by Thomas Barker, mainly on bricks and coal/coke (bulkers), does anyone remember/worked or have any photos of these firms lorries. Their original base was Fenstanton, Hunts. before moving to Willington in 1963.
They were mentioned in the Commercial Motor mag. April 30th.1965 for ‘poor maintainance’ i.e a string of GV9s, 15 serious faults on one vehicle and 11 on another. At one point in 1964 out of a fleet of 9 vehicles only 2 or 3 were serviceable.

The fleet included S.20 Foden artic, Guy Invincible (long door) artic, two Guy Warrior 6-wheel flats, Foden 8-wheel bulker, Seddon Mk.15 flat, Thames Trader 6-wheel flat + bits laying around with grass growing through them.

It would be good if any pics did turn up, I have model making projects under way and my memory is fading!!

I thought Central Roadways were from Crewkerne in Somerset. Red andwhite motors.Probably wrong as usual.

Nice to get a swift reply charlie one, I think there have been a few firms bearing the name, one was wound up in the Peterborough area in the last year or so.
I do remember the one you mention though.

The Central Roadways from Willington were painted with dark green cabs with white roofs and black chassis. The Guy Invincible artic arrived new and worked out of the local brickyards.

Hi Skandiahamn.Just sitting here eating my dinner when I suddenly remembered. It wasn’t Central Roadways that I mentioned.It was Central Road Transport. Sorry mate.Another senior moment. :laughing: :laughing:

Hey Charlie one

From memory wasnt central tpt something to do with Axminster transport
and Crewkerne tpt i think it was the same owner ■■?Axminster tpt
were very smart looking .

Hi DEANB. I don’t know if Central Road were ■■■■■■■ with Axminster Transport or not.I can remember when I worked for Frigoscandia in the seventies I used to load out of Chard Meat on a Sunday morning.There were always a couple of Central Road lorries loading. Great guys as I recall. Axminster Transport always did have a smart fleet. :laughing: :laughing:

charlie one:
Hi DEANB. I don’t know if Central Road were ■■■■■■■ with Axminster Transport or not.I can remember when I worked for Frigoscandia in the seventies I used to load out of Chard Meat on a Sunday morning.There were always a couple of Central Road lorries loading. Great guys as I recall. Axminster Transport always did have a smart fleet. :laughing: :laughing:

Theres a nice pic of one of Axminster tpt f88 on truckerash thread on the 80s
trucking if you have a look,cant remember which page.The driver from there
i remember most was Cliff Luxton who was always a good crack,i can
remember the faces of other but im buggered if i can remember their names?