cement mixers

been offered a job working for a owner driver for bardon was just wondering what this work was like is it similar to tipper work rushing about all day? the guy said the drivers are guaranteed 50 hours is this the norm or does this work demand alot more than 50?

I ave done tipper work and there was no rushing about involved. Some drivers would rush about driving a hearse.I havent noticed cement mixers going particularly fast.I would give the job a go but comply with the law, remember its your licence.

Get as many hours as ya can while it’s there grab it with both Danny’s cos it’ll slack off with Xmas etc
Haven’t worked on mixers myself but we deliver cast concrete to the building sites and we drop off

I do it but I’m not an owner driver so can’t comment on the rushing about so much. Few lads at our place race round for the load bonus. I don’t bother. I don’t waste time but I’m not going to break weight limits and speed limits.

Job itself is interesting. Everyone is always happy to see you you never really have to wait about. If your good and make their life easy getting a good slump for them you’ll often get a drink for it. Few lads have made £60 before now on a tricky job!

Work is busy atm. In the winter it’ll be dead. Doesn’t affect me as I’m employed but I wouldn’t like to be an owner driver then!

All pretty local, no nights out and normal working hours I love it! Not much to worry about with load security unless you have a full load on a steep hill with a wetish slump then some can trickle out the back but a bit more drum speed cures that.

There’s only 3 trucks run out the plant and its based in leith docks (Edinburgh) think they are kept busy all year the guy said.

I have been doing some refuse work for the local council via agency for the last year but the lure of permanent is attractive

You need to find out if he will pay you if the trucks parked up at Xmas say no work?
Most people pay 8 hours but I’d get it in your contract pal

2 weeks holiday at xmas

so i did my first couple shifts this week really enjoyed it wasn’t hard pushed and plenty of time to catch a breather when reloading. some of the construction site reverses can be a bit tight but so far (touch wood) the on site banksmen have been real helpfull