Cement Mixers

My agency are sending me to do some mixer work tomorrow. As I’ve never used one before I was hoping some kind folk on here might be able to give me a head start as to using the equipment and any potential pitfalls. Thanks!

Warren T. Claim:
My agency are sending me to do some mixer work tomorrow. As I’ve never used one before I was hoping some kind folk on here might be able to give me a head start as to using the equipment and any potential pitfalls. Thanks!

Haven’t got a clue,but good luck and keep it rolling

dont turn the drum the wrong way while on the road :slight_smile:

Treat it like a baby…take your time so easy to ■■■■ it up and it will cost a lot of money,allways wash your hopper and shutes after your tip…make sure you allways have enough water on board…so when youir loading put the hose on and fill your tank up…easy to tip over no eractic driving…im sure where you are there will be another driver to show you the ropes and if your lucky you mite get to go to the same job as the others…dont act like you know it all just ask …keep your drum moving at all times…good luck matey just take your time you will soon pick it up… regards…shytalk. :sunglasses:

Keep your drum moving!

Make sure the drum is emptied of water before you load it, else load will be very wet :laughing:

dont go to close to hole (if on footings),as said keep drum moving… not to fast though, wash out /in properly or its going to get nasty quickly!
always keep water tank full,dont let contractors use all the water cleaning tools.
jimmy

Cement mixer is’nt that what a brickie knocks his muck up (mortar) in?, watch the slump if it’s too wet & rejected the batchers default is"I saw the driver wetting it up under the plant" :laughing: most batchers are to**ers and would be out of a job if it was’nt for the drivers,same go’s for managers/plant supervisors all unemployable morons :wink: :wink:

splitshift:
Cement mixer is’nt that what a brickie knocks his muck up (mortar) in?, watch the slump if it’s too wet & rejected the batchers default is"I saw the driver wetting it up under the plant" :laughing: most batchers are to**ers and would be out of a job if it was’nt for the drivers,same go’s for managers/plant supervisors all unemployable morons :wink: :wink:

Come on splitshift…slump ! you and i mite know what slump is but a new guy forget it, as long as he gets the basic do’s and donts i wouldnt confuse him with slump…he mite only be on it a day or two and never see one again… :laughing:

splitshift:

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused: wondered what they were talking about when a USA contractor aked me the slump of the Mud.
batchers mostly ex redimix drivers over here.
jimmy

Isn’t a slump test what they do to test the thickness of the mortar?

It’s all well keeping the drum moving with a workable load but if carrying a dry or stiff load, stop the drum while travelling. A dry load can really have you leaning over on adverse road cambers. Discharge some of the load when landing on site and get the customer to ok it. If they want more water, gently does it. You can always add more but you can’t dry it up! Be careful on sites they can be a minefield of obstacles. And if discharging into a pump as the operator where the button for the hooter is so you can alert them when you’re empty. It’s not a good idea letting the pump run dry. Hope this helps.

splitshift:

Is that mixer drivers slang talk lol?

Warren T. Claim:
Isn’t a slump test what they do to test the thickness of the mortar?

More or less. In a slump test a cone is filled with concrete, the cone is turned upside down. The cone is placed next to this heap of concrete and the amount this heap has “slumped” by is what we call the slump (measured in mm) obviously the greater the slump the wetter the concrete was.

splitshift:

If a customer wants more water added, note it on the ticket; If the load is then failed you or the concrete producer wont be liable as the customer has signed to request the mix out of spec.
Remember to fold the chutes in before you leave site too!

shytalk:

splitshift:

Come on splitshift…slump ! you and i mite know what slump is but a new guy forget it, as long as he gets the basic do’s and donts i wouldnt confuse him with slump…he mite only be on it a day or two and never see one again… :laughing:

Yeah you’re right but I’m bitter&twisted :laughing:,I must say that in country plants it’s a different game(no high rise C50s C60s) and nice helpful plant staff so with any luck he will be OK :wink:

Warren T. Claim:

So just wondering how you got on with it?

truckDAFt:

Warren T. Claim:

So just wondering how you got on with it?

Fine thanks! They were a great bunch of lads and the help I received off here was most useful! :smiley:

Glad we could help…hope your day ran smoothly…plenty of drivers on here willing to help if they can…it can look a bit confusing at first move this leaver press that watch this ! just another string to your bow on your driving cv eh? regards, shytalk. :wink:

most batchers are to**ers and would be out of a job if it was’nt for the drivers,same go’s for managers/plant supervisors all unemployable morons

I disagree strongly with this ^^^

I have been delivering bulk powder to batchers for nearly 8 years and have found them all to be decent folk to work with . They never moan , even if we are late , and almost always direct you to the kettle when you arrive on site . Its one of the main reasons I have stayed in the job so long , much better than dealing with gate Hitlers, jobsworths and gobshiiite forkies :wink: :wink: …oh and we don’t have to sit on a plastic chair in a holding pen of an RDC , listening to the same old ■■■■■■■■ day after day …innit