Cement Mixers

I’ve just been offered a job driving a mixer wagon, I’m just thinking of the pro’s and con’s of this type of work. Any thoughts on this type of work anyone?

Frank

Don’t let it go hard.

Sorry :blush:

First and foremost, are the money and hours suitable?

Ok. From someone who’s done this job.

• Don’t wear nice stuff to work, it’ll get messy.
  • The motors, when loaded, are a bit of a pig, heavy, and the concrete slops around like a tanker.
  • Take care when cornering, as it’s top heavy. Weight will shift to the front driver’s side wheel under braking. These trucks do fall over if driver too hard.
  • Good boots are a must.
  • Most building sites are ok, but you always meet some ahem who want’s the job done his way, and blow everything else.
  • If you cannot go somewhere on a site and do it safely, then don’t do it.
  • Wash the motor down well after each job.
  • Be very careful over your daily checks, as site work is very hard on a truck, esp tyres.
  • carry something to help get stones out from between the twin wheels at the back.
  • Always keep your drum spinning from the minute you start up in the morning, until you are ready to go home at night, unless told otherwise for a specific job.
  • Make sure your water and fuel tanks remain topped up. The fuel tanks are usually pretty small.

It’s good manouvering practice, and if you can do it well, it’s a great job, with plenty of work.

mixer driving is a very good job imho, i drove for a ‘‘bretts’’ OD on the ctrl ,its easy work,took about 10 mins to learn the controls ,then its a case of learnin the slumps (dif mixes) ,some of the batchers are a pig to get onto as yr always covered in cement dust but once ya get the knack :wink:…ohhhh one other thing…always be very nice to the batcher,he can keep ya runnin and calls the shots when it comes to where and wwhen yr going …hth

Thanks to all who replied, I just wanted to see if any experienced bods out there could tell me summit I hadn’t thought of before taking the job. The hours are the main plus for me plus the money is adequate for my needs at the mo.

Frank

ps, I presume the “batcher” is the bloke who pours the cement into the wagon?

Alikat wrote;

• carry something to help get stones out from between the twin wheels at the back

I recently mentioned to the tyre fitter that i’d prised a brick from between my tyres on a site. He said that I shouldn’t do it as there is a risk of the tyres exploding :unamused: :unamused:
The correct way to remove a brick is to remove the outer wheel :confused:
Maybe he was just touting for business :question: I’ll have to remember to check on it cos if hes right I can see me stuck on sites a hell of a lot :smiling_imp:

Doesn’t the moderator on ownerdrivers forum run a mixer
regards derek

yes, there is a risk if you try and remove something that is sharp and pointy from between tyres, however, if it flies out and smashes the vehicle behind you, you’re liable. If it’s an old brick, a couple of whacks with a hammer usually shatters it.

Have you though about all the mud? :smiling_imp: It gets every where not to metion getting stuck. Not just by sinking up to your axles but also with no traicton. Also what sort of truck, 4x2, 6x4, 8x4, unit and trailer. I have drove them all and got them all stuck at some point. It can be a great job but some days you’ll wish u did some thing else.