Cement Mixer (Tacho Exempt?)(agency Explanation)

Wa this company based in sandy croft by chance ?

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Over 5 years, good effort!

Paul

jammymutt:
Was it only used on a site where you didnt go on a public road?.

I used to drive a concrete pump years ago and they were tacho exempt, £33 road tax and ran on red diesel.

That is what I was going to suggest, because with a pump you are not carrying goods, however with a mixer you are.

If the vehicle is equipped to solely, lift, pump or mix something it is normally exempt

An 8 Wheeler can only gross off at 32000kg max

■■■■■■■■, missed the date :laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :blush:

But did we get an answer? :smiley:

Volumetric mixers are a VERY grey area, they have been marketed for years as :tacho exempt, hgv exempt, run on red,no mot,cheap
road tax,no o licence, and run at vehicle design weight eg 38t.

Tacho exempt is still inforce as classed as mobile plant
Hgv exempt i belive is no more just like road cranes
Belive they have to have authorisation to run on red
No mot correct as mobile plant (disgusting especially as running so heavy and no saftey checks)
Cheap tax correct as taxed as plant
No o licence correct as mobile plant
never understood running at design weight but most do and some i know of some running at 44t on 8 wheelers vosa have stopped at this weight and all they could do was make them unload to correct weight no fines possible.

should not be allowed any of these things in my eyes as they are carrying all the materials with them, so no different to a tipper in my opinion should be o licenced and everything that comes with it. but hey ho what can you do.

Iwas on mixers for a few yrs , as stated by another op …32 tonne 4 axles gross, i also worked on a new site for a big retailer…we had 2 mixers on site…no tax no mot no tacho required …you could work 24 hrs a day if you wished , private land and never on a public road .

Many years ago I used to work in telecomms and some lorries that installed underground/overhead cables were classed as plant but you did need a class 3 to drive them. For information the plant that was on the trucks were winches, compressors, continuous rods and overhead platforms. Also had some fun when you were required to tow a cable drum trailer.

We also used some lighter trucks which you could drive on a standard car license but they were only ever supposed to be used for smaller cables/distances, but couldn’t tow a trailer with them beggers.

For avoidance of doubt I operate a simple principal.

If:

a) it has a tacho

b) it is not hired to me for personal use, (ie house move)

c) it has a GVW in excess of 3.5t

d) I am receiving money to drive the vehicle

I tacho it.

Im not going to exceed 6 hours without taking a break and Im not going to drive for more than 4.5 hours straight unless I am stuck in traffic. Why not tacho it anyways.

Wheel Nut:
An 8 Wheeler can only gross off at 32000kg max

talking volumetric mixers
they can run at the maximum design weight of the truck , hence why lots of Renaults are used ,as their design weight is 42/44 tons :wink:

all the grabs at work have tachos but we do not use them either :smiley:

Was it a truck mixer(rotating drum) or a volumetric mixer(the type with a hopper for sand /stone,water tank & cement silo which delivers concrete from a conveyer?) as I have been told they can operate at up to 38/40 tonnes on 4 axles(they are mostly Mercs or Renaults due to the higher design weight of these eight wheelers) and are classed as plant but in some traffic areas VOSA have challenged this, don’t the outcome though!would be suprised if they put an agency bod on one as training/experience is essential :exclamation:

Sat behind one in the queue at a road junction the other day:

marker boards completely covered in cement
n/s rear light lens broken and partly missing
o/s stop light not working
all rear lights flashing when o/s indicator on
n/s/r top marker light missing and wiring waving about in the breeze.

It shot off at a fair rate of knots.

ralliesport:
It can be classed as mobile plant if you dont carry any product with it.

hmmm… doesnt mention it in the regs. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused:

What do crane drivers need for road transport? Id think they would be in the same boat. :unamused: :unamused:

There’s one around here that runs like that (As mobile plant, 38 Tonne limit), it’s one that mixes it on site so carries very little on it till it arrives.

It’s a Scania P-Cab iirc.

(Photo found of Flickr)

bin lorries have tachos in, but they run on log books. the companies on contract to local authorities also run 7.5 and 12 ton tippers with cages on the back, these are for clearing up after fly tippers and the such like. they also deliver wheelie bins to peoples houses in these. they also have tachos in, but they run them on log books as well.
i can understand the bin lorries being on domestic regs (hence the log books), but i’m still a bit puzzled as to how they claim to be excempt from EU regs with the tippers.

the whole point of these mixers is that they carry the sand/ballast,cement,water to the site and then mix the amount as required once there!
there are lots round these parts which run on red derv,no test,no taco, o licence and gross weights top 40 t as a matter of course!

i think there is a tacho exemption for stuff used in the connection of refuse removals and street cleaning so that gets alot of the council stuff away but i do know that the commercial bin trucks the council run taking trade waste away for a fee have to run on tachos wonder if the tippers get away with it becouse of the exemption for it not being the drivers main job.

Spent today in a cement mixer for the agency and the client assured me that the vechicle was exempt form needing to put a Tacho in, and also in the eyes of the law the vehicle was technically not even classed a HGV and you could actually drive it on a car license.

I find this very hard to believe as he also told me that fully laden it could carry upto 38 tonne :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Is this Correct?

Jase

in answer to ALL your questions , NO :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

red7jase:
Spent today in a cement mixer for the agency and the client assured me that the vechicle was exempt form needing to put a Tacho in, and also in the eyes of the law the vehicle was technically not even classed a HGV and you could actually drive it on a car license.
I find this very hard to believe as he also told me that fully laden it could carry upto 38 tonne :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Is this Correct?
Jase

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: i wouldnt go back mate if someone was telling me that load of tosh…it is a HGV look at the vosa weight plate & you should use a tacho on the road while driving it…tell the agency what he said & VOSA as well

Why did they get an agency to provide a HGV driver if it could be driven on a car licence. What a load of toss.

Cheers guys your comments mirror exactly what i was thinking, but they seemed quite adamant. They mentioned something about construction equipment (if that make a differnce).
Trust me though i shall be on the phone to the agency tommorow just find out the score.
Cheers for you comments.