CE reversing

Daft question maby…Will experience of reversing farm tractor n trailers, help or hinder somebody when they start reversing c+e…

enn:
Daft question maby…Will experience of reversing farm tractor n trailers, help or hinder somebody when they start reversing c+e…

HELP - the principals are the same

Definatley help. I’ve seen young lads on farms reversing pretty big trailers like it’s second nature.

Help when I did my ce years ago it was after years on a farm so all I had to learn was how to put it in the box for test against some drivers who may need all day

Excellent just need to make sure I’m up to my nuts in cow ■■■■ n all should be good… :smiley:

Unless you Polish…in which case it will gain you a class 1 licence, the real picture emerges when you get the licence, and put it to practice in the UK. :laughing:

( TBH, i believe that practice has stopped now they are a fully paid up member of the euroclub )

Going backwards is the easy bit… If its not try a different career.

Saaamon:
Going backwards is the easy bit… If its not try a different career.

+1, if a ‘tool’ like me can do it, anyone can…

If you need to ask…!

Mate, like any of us, just take it easy, everyone, bar none, has learned by taking their time. Without exception filling in accident reports takes longer than a few shunts.
Good luck.

I’d say practice reversing on your mirrors,don’t look out the back window as you’ll have no window to look out of on the truck :wink:

i would imagine a farm trailer cuts in a lot lot faster than a lorry trailer as theyre a lot shorter (similar to a caravan?), so if you can back one of them in, a 45ft trl will be a doddle and seem like its taking forever to go round.

Is it a normal farm trailer - ie a-frame style?

It’ll help, but you’ll have to get used to turning the wheel the wrong way 1st.

I had years on car+caravan, wag+drag (draw bar) and artics when I first got in an a-frame wag+drag, and my 1st reverse was a complete BALLS UP :grimacing:

I got the hang of it over a few nights practice, and was there for a few weeks, but I still had to really concentrate on it compared to an artic or drawbar

the main difference with an artic to most other stuff, is when you’ve got a bit of bend in it (say over 45°) it takes a bit of time to get it straight due to the coupling being in front of the axle. anything with the coupling behind the axle you get the trailer pretty much lined up and then take the bend out straightening the outfit, pushing the trailer straight back. with an artic, if you wait until the trailer is lined up you’ll end up over cutting it. if that makes sense? :laughing: :laughing:

Help. Steering is all the same only difference is the speed you need to adjust the steering wheel its a lot slower the bigger you get. Obviously you have to compensate for the extra length too in tight surroundings. But ive seen farmers reverse their tractors and to be honest they are ■■■■ hot at it must be loads eh practice lol.

Having done a decent amount on silage trailers bale trailers and bogie artic trailers leading straw and a good amount of class 1 lorry I’d say the main differences are

Trailer reacts slower on artic
Much less visibility on artic
Far less cows about in RDCs thank on farms

Otherwise uta broadly the same and any experience going backwards wth a trailer is bound to help.

stevieboy308:
the main difference with an artic to most other stuff, is when you’ve got a bit of bend in it (say over 45°) it takes a bit of time to get it straight due to the coupling being in front of the axle. anything with the coupling behind the axle you get the trailer pretty much lined up and then take the bend out straightening the outfit, pushing the trailer straight back. with an artic, if you wait until the trailer is lined up you’ll end up over cutting it. if that makes sense? :laughing: :laughing:

I do this all the time when it’s a really tight and harsh angle of reverse, I would say 70% of the time I over cook it in those situations.

Farm tractor trailer combinations are similar to wagon & drag, they all including articulated vehicle have a place where they pivot / bend where the pin/ hook up point is. And depending on where it is will determine your method of reversing.
If you pass your test in wagon & drag it doesn’t stop you from being able to reverse an articulated vehicle & vice versa, take your time and watch how the unit bends , they will move according to their own characteristics (handle differently ) :sunglasses: :smiley: