CCTV shows van blown around on Forth Bridge

This driver apparently ignored warning signs for high-sided vehicles not to use the Forth Bridge which was being battered by 90mph winds during a storm on 5 December.

Hope the book was thrown at him for risking other peoples lives! And if his stupidity for trying the bridge wasn’t enough, he walks round the van and stands where he could get squashed!
Idiot!

Bet he needed a new set of pants!

It’s not unusual, Drivers often ignore warning signs, they believe they don’t apply to them. Often drivers believe that what-ever the weather, they can still drive as they’d normally do, never taking into consideration the changing conditions. You only need to remember the bridge in fog incident earlier this year. We often get RTC’s were the driver has skidded / aquaplaned etc. The first thing they say is “It’s not my fault! I aquaplaned / skidded”
The guy telling his story about hanging over the bridge of the A580 after aquaplaning on water, said he was only doing 70mph, (I’ve seen the CCTV footage, and he must have a problem with his speedo!) not to mention that the rain was coming down in stair-rods, the whole c/way was covered in water, but it wasn’t his fault!!

Serves the muppet right! Did you see the drivers door :laughing:

Probably didn’t see the warning signs despite the fact they are the size of a tennis court, what was the fool thinking.

We have a weight limit for the right hand lane on the old Severn Bridge there are signs when you leave the toll booths despite this you still have trucks trying to overtake one another the reason for the weight limit is to prevent collisions due to the wind common sense or so you would have thought.

One thing I’ve learned in life, is that you need to treat everyone as stupid, and explain everything in slow and simple terms. We need to change the warning to “bridge closed to all traffic except cars” :bulb:

It’s not windy at all. He’s just delivering a few pallets of Mexican jumping beans.

That’s just the edited version, full lengh shows at least 2 cars on the other carriageway stopping in the off side lane for a better look and a curtainsider going past.

What is the penalty for ignoring these signs if any? I quite often see loads of folk using the A66 when the signs are lit saying its closed to high siders.

Depending on if the signs are accompanied by red flashing lights, if they are they are mandatory, and there is a specific offence for disobeying them. If they don’t have flashing red lights (or red circles for speeds) and you have any sort of a bump /RTC, you leave yourself open to a Dangerous Driving charge.

Thats one of the worst I have saw , most people see the signs and respect them but there s always one(or two) idiots ,
said in the Bbc website a report had been sent to the PF,

Had a conversation with a few drivers with many more years experience than myself earlier this month about the a66 and road closures for high sided vehicles. I thought anything over the size of a standard caravan is high sided but the idiots I work with claim that high sided vehicles only apply to deckers

Smiffys trucking:
Hope the book was thrown at him for risking other peoples lives! And if his stupidity for trying the bridge wasn’t enough, he walks round the van and stands where he could get squashed!
Idiot!

I’m watching it, he goes under the barrier then…wait where’s he going surely not… Nooooooo don’t stand there you nob lol what a plank!.

Must have stood the other side of the barrier to catch it lol numpty :smiley:

is a tanker classed as a high sider? it’s never happened to me yet (touchwood) but some of our drivers say you’re ok to cross the a66 when the signs are up but others say not. the boss says it’s up to me if i think it’s too bad. last week was the worst i’ve known and was surprised it wasn’t closed.

This is from the forth bridge website the only exception to high sided vehicles seems to be loaded tippers.

High-sided rigid or articulated HGVs
Articulated tippers (if empty)
Furniture vans
Luton vans
Transit van style with modification
Vehicles with trailers or caravans
Vehicles with roof boxes or wind-susceptible roof rack items
Motorcycles
Bicycles
Three-wheeled cars
Any other vehicle which appears, in the judgement of bridge staff or the police, to be clearly at risk.
Pedestrians

humbug:
is a tanker classed as a high sider? it’s never happened to me yet (touchwood) but some of our drivers say you’re ok to cross the a66 when the signs are up but others say not. the boss says it’s up to me if i think it’s too bad. last week was the worst i’ve known and was surprised it wasn’t closed.

A mate of mine approached the tolls (years ago) on the Forth bridge pulling an acid tanker after ignoring the “no high vehicles” signs. As he got to the toll booth the Scots guy sticks his head out and shouts “can ye noo read?” To which my mate answers “of course I can old chap, are you struggling with some big words in your paper?” Toll attendant then says " och no, it says no high sided vehicles", to which my mate looks out of his window at his trailer and says “well it hasn’t got any sides!”

Toll man replies “aye, fair enough, on ye go lad”.

Do they still pair tanks up with high sided trucks to run side by side across certain bridges when its windy? Or was that just sensible drivers doing it themselves?