CB's - do you use 'em?

I’'ve recently been given a new(ish) wagon that came complete with a CB. I managed to get an aerial hooked up a few days ago.

Being used to day cabs (DAFs and volvos) this particular truck (Scania sleeper) has reignited my interest in our line of work.

Is CB’ing a dying method of communication these days 'cos these past 3 days hardly anybody seems to be using it (channel 19 specifically)?

Being a CB newbie my knowledge of CB lingo is bobbins. Can you lot inform me RE cb slang?

Cheers

Paul

Yeah,talk normal. Don’t Americanise anything you say or no one will talk to ya. Just call the name on the truck you wanna talk to. A cb chat really shortens a loooooooooooooong journey :smiley:

I’ve been starting with “breaker breaker” is this a bit OTT?

Is all the 10-4 business a bit unecessary?

Say what you like when you like .Works for me and nobody knows who you are anyway !!! :sunglasses:

How is it that you can’t talk one a mobile phone while driving, but you can use a CB radio, which is possibly more distracting as you have a big flexy cord dangling across your view if it’s mounted above the screen?

I’ve got a CB fitted and it’s on most of the time. If you spot me, give me a shout, I drive THIS. I switch the CB off around the Glasgow, Birmingham and Hull areas. To many childish home basers hogging channel 19.

UK CBers don’t do the ‘Convoy’ CB speak, we just talk normally, mostly.
We definitely do-not 10/4 anything, except as a mickey take.
‘10/4 Good Buddy’ would really be taking the mick.
There are a few 10 codes still used, but not many.

You can try ‘19 for a copy’, asking for anyone to reply, to chat.
‘19 for a rig check’, means how are you receiving me, (signal strength and clarity)?
If you hear a couple of drivers chatting, ask to join the chat with ‘On the side’, at a break in the conversation. Hopefully they’ll say ‘come on in’, or something along those lines.
We do use ‘Roger’ a lot, in several variations - ‘Rodger Dodger’,‘Rodgy Dodgy’ etc
A lot of company drivers, running together, will arrange to use a particular channel. Search through the channels to find them, then ask to join in the chat with ‘on the side’. too.

My handle is ‘Stardust Mick’. And i too don’t get to many answers on channel 19. I think some people can hear me and just ignore me. Maybe my accent puts them off?!!

Mike-C:
I think some people can hear me and just ignore me. Maybe my accent puts them off?!!

Lol, perhaps they think you are going to nick their hubcaps Mike!

Chocs away Charlie is my favourite on the CB. He has been going for years, and even though he does a better mickeytake out of scousers than Harry Enfield ever did i still think he’s cool. Does anyone actually know him?

It says ERF not RAF:
Say what you like when you like .Works for me and nobody knows who you are anyway !!! :sunglasses:

Bit like trucknet UK really :smiley:

Kiowan:
How is it that you can’t talk one a mobile phone while driving, but you can use a CB radio, which is possibly more distracting as you have a big flexy cord dangling across your view if it’s mounted above the screen?

From what I know of the law, which is not a great deal, if you use a CB whilst driving on the public highway, you could be deemed ‘not in proper control of the vehicle’ or if deemed distracted, then ‘driving without due care & attention’ and a nice 6 penalty point to follow - IS IT WORTH THE RISK :question:

PS, I am that ‘ROGER’ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

Kiowan:

From what I know of the law, which is not a great deal, if you use a CB whilst driving on the public highway, you could be deemed ‘not in proper control of the vehicle’ or if deemed distracted, then ‘driving without due care & attention’ and a nice 6 penalty point to follow - IS IT WORTH THE RISK :question:

PS, I am that ‘ROGER’ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:unamused:
Jesus ,mary and the carpenter - learn to live a little man :sunglasses:

learn to live a little man

:confused: :confused: :confused: :question: :question: :question:

Kiowan:

As part of the Wireless Telegraphy act, you cant actually be done for it. One of the reasons is because if you need both to concentrate you can say hang on, drop the mic and do what you have to do. It used to be because the police could drive and use a mic. I did have a webpage somewhere with all the information on.
But really if your moving all over the road, and talking on CB then you could be stopped for it, other wise you cant.

Mike-C:
Chocs away Charlie is my favourite on the CB. He has been going for years, and even though he does a better mickeytake out of scousers than Harry Enfield ever did i still think he’s cool. Does anyone actually know him?

is chocs away still nockin about aint heard im for a long time good buddy :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mike-C:

A charter flight was flying in dense Fog and had lost its way the co-pilot said to the pilot where are we ?

“Two seconds and I will tell you”

The pilot stuck his arm out of the window for 10 seconds and then pulled it back in again, he turned to the co-pilot and said

" We are Over Liverpool"

“How do you know” asks the co-pilot

“My Watch has gone” Said the Pilot"

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

As part of the Wireless Telegraphy act, you cant actually be done for it.

There is a piece of legislation somewhere to this effect,because it was a question I asked when taking my Foundation radio amateur licence,however,the Police could possibly have you for not being in proper control of your vehicle.

But as I’ve said before,CB is dead,so go and do your ham radio licence instead.

Ken.

Got to agree with Quinny. I have had some great chats on Amateur radio with lots of different people. Theres a lot of lorry drivers on there, and the repeaters mean you can talk to each other for a longer distance.

There are loads of idiots home based with cb’s who just chat with burners over the top of everybody on ch19.

We use channel 2 to chat in convoy or when passing, here at Vehicle Movements.

can you still get the normal uk cb channels on a ham radio