CB radio help

Hi guys im thinking of getting a cb radio for my lorry but ive never used one before and dont know the first thing about then i just think it could be a bit of fun can anyone please explain to me how these things work and how you find people to talk to… as you can tell im a total noob to this lol thanks in advance …

To look for people go to channel 19, in the olden days channel 14 was an open channel too, channel 9 was always kept clear as the emergency channel.
Many new cb’s now have UK and Euro channels.

Hardly worth wasting the money today,I have one but rarely do I hear anyone on it.Handy if your running with someone who also has a CB but if your
interested in communicating with other drivers…just wave…it’s cheaper.

Thank you both for your posts and armagedon i was thinking does anyone still use them so thanks for that i dont think ill bother now you made a good point with ‘just wave its cheaper’ lol made me laugh

I have only used them this century on my 4x4 when we are in a group :laughing:

They can be useful if you get caught up in a hold up on the motorway just get on channel 19 and ask if anyone knows what the hold up is, 9 times out of 10 either someone stuck in it further up or someone running the other way will let you know how major the hold up is. Or if you run on the A75 regular the Irish lads will keep you informed of mobile speed traps :wink:

aint worth it fella . £60 down the pub would be better :wink:

Not worth the bother I am home based licenced Ham and occasionaly flick onto CB bands to listen in nothing much to be heard,save your money

Had mine 2 or 3 months. Not spoken to a soul on it, and anything I’ve earwigged has been pretty mundane dross

They’re a tipper thing nowadays. “Roger Dee” and all that ■■■■■■■■ are/were still spoken last time I had one. Even the coffin dodgers that once used them in their sheds to discuss bunions and the Radio Times have either got bored or snuffed it. Looking back they’re a waste of money in the days of mobile phones etc.

I had one.It was before the internet forums and they would slag everyone off on their CB’s.
I was parked in Portugal and i could hear a conversation between two truckers in the USA.
The signal bounced off the clouds over the Atlantic.I forget the technical word for this.

It’s called “signals bouncing off clouds”. Hth Tobes. :wink:

the maoster:
It’s called “signals bouncing off clouds”. Hth Tobes. :wink:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think its called Skip :wink:
(1980’s head on) :blush:

Good if your on nights and running with somebody . Last time i used them midland and cobra were good makes but dont scrimp on a decent aerial .

Hiya…but wasn’t they good in the late 70,s early 80,s.and before sat nav, if you went into a bigish town you’d
give a call asking where a street was. next minute someone was there to get you to your delivery brilliant. then
come along the unmarried mothers with home bases and made a cockup of things just gabbling on to a mate
2 doors away on the 1 nine…CB,s was a good thing they should have been all 24 volt and used megga amount
of power so you couldn’t have run one on a battery at home for months, that would have maybe kept the idiots away.
they was also good warning of stationary traffic on motorways, you was ready to slow down as you already knew
of a holdup miles before you saw the brake lights,bring them back for trucks only they would be a good safety
feature.
John

They WERE good John, especially for us on tippers needing to find jobs and where works accesses were etc. Good to run with your mate on a longish trip as well, certainly passed the time nattering away about nothing in particular! Channel 12 was our home channel, anyone around the Ashbourne area needing assistance could drop on it and get decent information. Days long gone alas. I thought about getting one for my van, but then who would I talk to? :slight_smile:

Pete.

I helped out with sugar beet bulker work over the winter and (nearly) all of the lorrys had CBs on them, mainly because of the narrow and windy places we had to navigate to get to the Maus (the loading machines) who also has a CB as well.

If nothing else, as well as getting directions and keeping an eye out for one another, on the longer journeys and you are with something else, you can have a good chin wag! :smiley:

It’s also a useful gauge for when people are approaching / how far away they are. :slight_smile:

windrush:
They WERE good John, especially for us on tippers needing to find jobs and where works accesses were etc. Good to run with your mate on a longish trip as well, certainly passed the time nattering away about nothing in particular! Channel 12 was our home channel, anyone around the Ashbourne area needing assistance could drop on it and get decent information. Days long gone alas. I thought about getting one for my van, but then who would I talk to? :slight_smile:

Pete.

still is channel 12 in Ballidon pete