CB Radio - AM frequency

Came across my first ever CB the other day in my garage, a Midland FM. I think it was 1980 and I paid £60 for it, a fair sum in those days, but what fun it was and I used it for years, illegally of course. Eventually I went over to FM because I was in the minority but couldn’t bear to part with the old set despite a few offers to sell it. Anyway, I wondered if anyone out there still use the old AM frequency. Regards to all, Haddy.

haddy:
Came across my first ever CB the other day in my garage, a Midland FM. I think it was 1980 when I [zb] out £60 for it, a fair sum in those days, but what fun it was and I used it for years, illegally of course. Eventually I went over to FM because I was in the minority but couldn’t bear to part with the old set despite a few offers to sell it. Anyway, I wondered if anyone out there still use the old AM frequency. Regards to all, Haddy.

My AM days were short lived when the Home Office were in Dover searching for AM CBs, mine was confiscated. They said I could pick it on my way back out, but from that day on I shipped out of Newhaven, Folkestone, Felixtowe, Harwich and Immingham so I never sawt again!!

haddy:
Came across my first ever CB the other day in my garage, a Midland FM. I think it was 1980 and I paid £60 for it, a fair sum in those days, but what fun it was and I used it for years, illegally of course. Eventually I went over to FM because I was in the minority but couldn’t bear to part with the old set despite a few offers to sell it. Anyway, I wondered if anyone out there still use the old AM frequency. Regards to all, Haddy.

During the winter months if the skip is high,you can sometimes hear American CB’rs talking,with a homebase and a big twig and burner several of us used to talk to them in the 80’s,good old days.
Cheers Dave.

i used to copy the yanks same time dave . sitting in the queue at onllwn opencast on top of the mountain. i had an 80 channel midland tweeked to about 10 watts and a big firestick twig , and if the skip was right i could talk to them as well . damned good rigs , there was a lass near ledbury , i copied her at j7 most days , and talked all the way to the severn bridge , fm was rubbish in comparison . my handle was my user name on here , cheers , dave

rigsby:
i used to copy the yanks same time dave . sitting in the queue at onllwn opencast on top of the mountain. i had an 80 channel midland tweeked to about 10 watts and a big firestick twig , and if the skip was right i could talk to them as well . damned good rigs , there was a lass near ledbury , i copied her at j7 most days , and talked all the way to the severn bridge , fm was rubbish in comparison . my handle was my user name on here , cheers , dave

I may have heard you Dave.I could copy Ledbury ffrom here,which is about forty miles by road.There used to be a breaker in Hereford with the same handle as you.There used to be a breaker called Battery Top who lived on top of Leckhampton near Cheltenham,he used to make the speakers vibrate when he fired up.The drivers running the M5 gave him stick which got him riled,so he gave it more power,but I haven’t heard him for twenty years.I expect he gave up like a lot of others.
Cheers Dave RENEGADE

rigsby:

I remember at the height of the illeagal CB craze( never was interested my-self!) there was a model aircraft club that flew in the Lythe Valley near Kendal and they couldn’t understand that every now and then some of their models just nose dived from a great height into the ground!! cost some of them a fortune in lost models,and when they sussed it it was all down to these illeagle CBs that were in use!!! It was my Insurance broker who told me at the time as he was a club member.Our fleet Engineer had a top of the range Midland set in the Glove box in his company Granada and the electric radio ariel doubled as his CB antenae so you couldn’t tell he had a CB in the car!! Bewick.

when fm came in i ran a 100 watt burner , but performance was nowhere as good as 10 watts on am . who were the quarry lads i used to meet around craven arms / leominster area ? they all ran big burners , might have been channel 18 , not sure though , they broadbanded everthing for miles around , wasn’t you was it ■■ cheers , dave ps about 1981or 2

rigsby:
when fm came in i ran a 100 watt burner , but performance was nowhere as good as 10 watts on am . who were the quarry lads i used to meet around craven arms / leominster area ? they all ran big burners , might have been channel 18 , not sure though , they broadbanded everthing for miles around , wasn’t you was it ■■ cheers , dave ps about 1981or 2

Possibly the drivers from the quarries near me Dave,which were run by Tilcon then,a lot of them had burners,also could have been Clee Hill quarry,but most of these up here would drop down a channel off 19 if they were running together.
Cheers Dave.