cb help

do any of you know where i can get my cb sorted…i have a midland 38 and a sirio ariel but its terrible cant get out very far and its not much cop recieving either i run from felixstowe most days so someone on route from there to the midlands would be good,

cheers

Don’t know the area very well so can’t help you on that one,

Have you done the obvious stuff, I.e. Make sure it’s got a good earth on the ariel (ground plane I think they call it) and set the s.w.r. Up on the ariel?

Get on ch.19 and speak to the guys that do it for a hobby, they’ll bore you to tears but seem to know their stuff.

Judging by the last conversation I had with someone on CB who couldn’t get over the fact I was doing 5 miles in Nottingham with 5W and going over the top of all the other local breakers, I’d say most of them know sod all about setting them up properly.

I’ve given up with cbs. I’ve had 2 in about 5 years and they’ve packed up. My wagons got the factory standard aerial as it’s tougher than the “unbreakable” ones but the range on it is crap-and I don’t know how to SWR it anyway. It’s a shame as our firm fit our cbs and really go all out to make them fit well into the interior (not stuck on a dash etc)

Muckaway:
My wagons got the factory standard aerial as it’s tougher than the “unbreakable” ones but the range on it is crap-and I don’t know how to SWR it anyway.

Change the antenna for an aftermarket one, using the standard factory fit mount that is on the cab as supplied by the manufacturer. (I’m guessing your using either a Daf or a Merc?) You may need an adaptor for the base of the antenna depending on which antenna you buy, although most are 3/8" but to save you getting into the complexities of swr, then go for a Stinger antenna as they are pre tuned. They also come in various colours so you can as near as dammit have the same colour as the truck. They come in 2 lengths as well, 61 inches and 33 inches. If you have a Daf with the mount on the rear of the cab, get the longer one so you can have the end above the top of the cab, whereas if you have a Merc, then the short one will do as the mount is already at roof level at the front of the cab.

They are widely available from all over.

Example:

Ken.

do you get anywhere near lyme services they are good

Or triple C at Bedwas near Caerphilly South Wales,they will sort it while you wait.Parking for artics.

Good guess regarding my lorry, Ken; Foden Alpha (Daf with decent engine,cab and suspension!)
My standard fit is one of those that you can fold down if working under trees. It’s been fairly good but the tops been missing for a while and from what you said, I’m guessing the SWR’s been affected by the antenae.

Give CDC a ring to see if they have an engineer at their Barrow shop near Bury St Edmunds

Muckaway:
Good guess regarding my lorry, Ken; Foden Alpha (Daf with decent engine,cab and suspension!)
My standard fit is one of those that you can fold down if working under trees. It’s been fairly good but the tops been missing for a while and from what you said, I’m guessing the SWR’s been affected by the antenae.

You’ve answered your own question then. If the end is missing then that is why the swr is to ■■■■, no question, however do change the antenna for the Stinger as it’s a fairly robust antenna and needs no tuning. Even if you replace the antenna that was on with the same, it’s going to cost you either way.

Is the mount on the rear of the cab like the XF as I can’t remember, nor can I remember if the CF is rear mounted.

Ken.

Rear cab wall, on a sort of wingnut/spindle setup. Is the stinger the one with the spring as I used to use those with a magmount on the exhaust bracket when I drove fibreglass cabbed Fodens.

Muckaway:
Rear cab wall, on a sort of wingnut/spindle setup. Is the stinger the one with the spring as I used to use those with a magmount on the exhaust bracket when I drove fibreglass cabbed Fodens.

The Stinger should fit straight into the wingnut/spindle but double check.

The Stinger is pictured in the links given above, and as the mount is on the rear, get the taller 61 inch version.

If you lived near me, then we have a piece of kit at our club that is better than an swr meter for checking that all is well. There shouldn’t really be any problem with the feeder cable, (Co-ax.) as it’s all hidden and not prone to problems, although performance can drop over a long period of time, but from what you describe, your antenna is goosed.

Ken.

the new MAN tgx has got two aerials could someone tell me if one of them is for a cb

ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muckaway:
I’ve given up with cbs. I’ve had 2 in about 5 years and they’ve packed up. My wagons got the factory standard aerial as it’s tougher than the “unbreakable” ones but the range on it is crap-and I don’t know how to SWR it anyway. It’s a shame as our firm fit our cbs and really go all out to make them fit well into the interior (not stuck on a dash etc)

Firstly the range is crap because its transmitting directly into the groundplane because the stupid morons who decided to put it there knew sod all about radio communications. A clue: Maximum RF current flows from the base on most mobile CB antennas so its a bit of a stupid idea to put a vertical antenna in a position where the bottom 1/3 of it is next to a vertical bit of metal.

And if it isn’t SWR’d in, - not that you stand much of a chance as most of what you transmit is being reflected directly back at the antenna - you’ll be lucky to get anywhere and in the meantime you’ll be frying the output transistors. That is why they’ve packed up - only you to blame.

Quinny:
If you have a Daf with the mount on the rear of the cab, get the longer one so you can have the end above the top of the cab,

I expected you of all people to know better and to know that when they’re mounted like that you are on a hiding to nothing and that just having the end sticking up above the cab is completely pointless. :unamused: :unamused: