CB FM81 vs AM

I recall lots of controversy when the Govt ruled CB legal but made everyone use FM instead of AM. What happened in the intervening 27 years? Do drivers still use CB and if so FM or AM? I recall the continentals used AM which meant some people ran both types of rig.

I also recall what a thing of beauty the Midland 4001 was, it matched an ERF B series interior!

Ah yes, I desired one back in 1980, my mate had one with a silver rocket base antenna, but I ended up with a cheapo FM one instead!!

Thats the beauty! do people still use 'em?

chorcheela:

Ah yes, I desired one back in 1980, my mate had one with a silver rocket base antenna, but I ended up with a cheapo FM one instead!!

its got nearly as many knobs as the port of felixstowe.!!! :slight_smile:

Strewth, i had one of those in AM, and it was a great bit of kit.

Running early hours of the morning with no skip about would talk (the usual rubbish) with others sometimes 20 or so miles away. Usually in East Anglia.

To be fair, the longest copies were when i’d talk to someone who was home based with a big un (oo er missus).

Sure miss them days, the job just don’t feel good no more.

Not many of the old school left out and about now.

Juddian:

Running early hours of the morning with no skip about would talk (the usual rubbish) with others sometimes 20 or so miles away. Usually in East Anglia.

To be fair, the longest copies were when i’d talk to someone who was home based with a big un (oo er missus).

hey brian, come over to canada, nearly all trucks have a cb and all are am.
and on our outfit the company buys them.
steve

STEVE OWEN:

Juddian:

hey brian, come over to canada, nearly all trucks have a cb and all are am.
and on our outfit the company buys them.
steve

Hi Steve.

Don’t know bout that long distance stuff any more, havent done a night out in 4 years (thats likely to change soon though).

I kinda like going home around 5 ish.

Plus i’m a very lucky fella, got one of the best ladies made.

However if they need transporter drivers with a few years under the belt, (plus the grey hairs to go with it) and minimal nights away, then we could be in business.

Talking to some of my old lags recently and quite a few of em trying for Canada/anywhere, there seems to be this idea that Englands finished, where do they get that notion from… :open_mouth: ttfn

Jeez must be '84 when i last keyed a mike.

Actually saw a CB radio in the cab of one of the lorries at the Dorset Steam Fair today - guess they must be in use still then!