CB ariel

So i thought i would chuck my old cb into this truck as it looks like the ariel and power lead are already fitted and most of my work is Scotch and they still get used a lot up there , however when i.ve opened the blank panel where it would fit the end of the coaxiel cable is much smaller than i remember and is way too small to fit on my old cb , is there an adapter i can use or is this not for a cb at all ?

I will try and add a pic which will no doubt come out sideways :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks more like a in cab phone aerial. No good for CB.

Not a CB antenna connector. Needs to be one of these, a PL259:

There may be an adapter sold by the manufacturer or you may need to cut off that one and put on your own. Beware though that the CB antennas or mounting points the truck manufacturers put on usually means that the range is crap because they’re put in the worst place possible.

Conor:
Not a CB antenna connector. Needs to be one of these, a PL259:

There may be an adapter sold by the manufacturer or you may need to cut off that one and put on your own. Beware though that the CB antennas or mounting points the truck manufacturers put on usually means that the range is crap because they’re put in the worst place possible.

I appreciate the range is crap but i only want it to see whats happening up the road so as long as i can get a couple of miles it will be enough, i.ve just checked the part number on the ariel and it is a MAN part for 2 way radios , they reckon you buy an adapter to mate up to the standard co-ax plug, cant seem to find one though

Give these guys a call. Tell them what you have and they will sort you the relevant adapter. Worked for me and they were very helpful.
kcb.co.uk

Casper68:
Give these guys a call. Tell them what you have and they will sort you the relevant adapter. Worked for me and they were very helpful.
kcb.co.uk

Cheers Casper , it would seem i need one of these

The plug in the pic is half of a BNC plug and no good without the the other half. A BNC plug would suggest that it’s not attached to a CB aerial, most likely it’s PMR or digital comms device, using your CB on transmit with that aerial would probably blow the PA due to the bad SWR.

Martin:
The plug in the pic is half of a BNC plug and no good without the the other half. A BNC plug would suggest that it’s not attached to a CB aerial, most likely it’s PMR or digital comms device, using your CB on transmit with that aerial would probably blow the PA due to the bad SWR.

the screenshot pic is misleading as you have to click on it to see the other half and the plug you can see here isn’t the one the ad relates to, it was more the text I was showing, I rang them and its definitely what I need so it should be right

Dont get bamboozled and muck about.
Buy a magmount, suitable ariel, (springer)
If your heading Scotland regular call in at the CB shop at first roundabout at carlisle, they call it the fleece, the big guy in there will sort you out to perfection.
CBs have got to be insalled correctly , otherwise its a total waste if not.
Happy trucking

ringfur:

that’s always what ive used in the past but where do you put a magmount on a fibreglass roof ?

Martin:

Even if you don’t blow the PA, if the aerial is not for a CB, it’ll be the wrong length for the CB frequency. So you’ll be lucky to transmit as far as your tailboard :laughing: You could fit a PL259 plug, and screw a correct length CB aerial onto the aerial mount. But you must check the SWR before trying to use your set. The co-ax cable ‘may’ have the correct impedance, so if the aerial mount is properly grounded, you might get lucky.

chaversdad:

ringfur:

that’s always what ive used in the past but where do you put a magmount on a fibreglass roof ?

Buy the 90 degree angle type, and put it on the back of the cab, just below the guttering to keep the antenna tip high enough to clear the roof spoiler.

Depending on the thread base on the bottom of your chosen antenna, you may need a further straight type adaptor to plug into the female screw end on the elbow, which in turn you screw your antenna base in.

Ken.

90 degree.jpg

chaversdad:

ringfur:

buy magmount…remove whip,heat last inch or itl break,and bend it with pliers to 90 deg…sorted…isn’t your sunroof hatch made of metal?

SiAmon:

Martin:

Even if you don’t blow the PA, if the aerial is not for a CB, it’ll be the wrong length for the CB frequency. So you’ll be lucky to transmit as far as your tailboard :laughing: You could fit a PL259 plug, and screw a correct length CB aerial onto the aerial mount. But you must check the SWR before trying to use your set. The co-ax cable ‘may’ have the correct impedance, so if the aerial mount is properly grounded, you might get lucky.

Just to clarify it is a proper MAN factory fitted cb aerial thats on there, i.m not doubting it will be crap but it is a proper aerial just with a different fitment than usual on the end

If you take the coax from magmount in through the door or sunroof you pinch it and eventually the inner insulation gives up the ghost so you end up with a dead short and it can be as soon as the first time you shut the door or the sunroof. 99.9% of problems with magmounts are because of this.

Quinny:

chaversdad:

ringfur:

Buy the 90 degree angle type, and put it on the back of the cab, just below the guttering to keep the antenna tip high enough to clear the roof spoiler.

Depending on the thread base on the bottom of your chosen antenna, you may need a further straight type adaptor to plug into the female screw end on the elbow, which in turn you screw your antenna base in.

Ken.

It did cross my mind but tbh i was only fitting the cb again because there was an aerial already fitted, if it doesnt work i,ll just put it back in the shed,