Cavewood transport

Yes Ian, you are on the right track there!

aidey:
So how did a thread on cavewood manage to get round to women eh tony :smiley: and it’s still your turn for the teas

Do i know you aidey ■■?

Woul’nt have thought so. The comment was for eastcoastrucker.

kindle530:
I met a driver of Cavewoods when i was on for Morrison Freight Tony, (95-96). There was around a 20km que on the 4 coming into Germany, we were both trying to get down the 61, he was behind me in the que. He had the last (im sure thats what he told me at the time) Megaspace SK Merc it was in purple. I think it was at the time they were changing to the new colour they have now. He came from Liecester depot, quite a big fella, his name was Dave, and i remember him saying he had a Range Rover.
I met him in Corby when i was driving for Badger years later, he was still at Cavewood.

Big Dave - with the Merc in the background. Last I heard he was on for Stobbies following the closure of the Rugby depot.

thats the fella! nice to know hes still about, cheers.

not seen dave 4 a long while carl and it was not the lsat but 1 of the 1st in the uk with magaspace top i had a 1844 jusy after we got that 1 .dont worry aidy i will get the t next time

Big Dave was otherwise known as “■■■■■■■■”, he will tell you why ! something to do with a couple of doggers in on the beach in Calais. I worked for Cavewood from Leeds depot in the 90’s.

I didn’t even realise Cavewood had closed the Rugby depot. We used to take groupage in there.

Ian_Leeds:
Big Dave was otherwise known as “■■■■■■■■”, he will tell you why !

ISTR he wouldn’t go to the Xmas do for a couple of years after that, for fear of someone letting his nickname slip in front of his missus - leading to some awkward explanations…!!!

hi i knew of one driver from cavewood he was called big dave you to meet up with him in swiss at muttenz doing customs i dont no if he about anymore i would like to know

That Merc was the first Eurocab in the UK - K434 YBH

I used to get backloads from Keith at Desford in the 80`s

Who I used to round trip Hamburg with

Old F12

FH12 Globetrotter

eastcoasttrucker:
i drove for cavewood out of there leicester depot from 1988 to 1997 started at the age of 21 doing groupage in a daf 2100 with top sleeper pod.then had new volvo FL6 4 wheeler with air ride that i was running all over europe in carrying computer equipment .then moved onto artics with a F12 then FH12 doing mainly germany holland and belguim.sailed out of felixstowe a lot with P+O then norfolkline also sallyline from ramsgate and the love boat into sheerness.made a lot of good friends and had some great nights out at wallystop bp at breda and the tank wash at lokeren. all good time shame but i dont think they will return tony

GARY BURTONS SPOT ON JANICE AND OLD BRIAN ROBSON ON THE POMPEY TO LE HAVRE ROUTE

Does anyone remember Eddie Charlton (ex cawthorn), Ronnie taylor, Eddie Taylor,John Dutton (Perfect gentlemen) Graham & Mick Shortland ? all worked or still work for Cavewood, Leeds depot. had many a good night on the “love boat” with them.
They all have my utmost respect! would love to hear if anyone knows them.

hiya,
knew dicky parker very well did a lot of germany for cavewood, he passed away some years ago quite suddenly, i was speaking to him when he had just returned from over the water he complained about not feeling very well and didn’t look it, he died the following day lived just down the street from me very nice lad he did work for gallahgers for a long time prior to his stint with cavewood, bit of a miss used to keep me up to date with the job.
thanks harry long retired.

Hello Harry,
I knew Dickie, too. He was a gentlemen and a true professional. R.I.P Dickie

hiya,
yes dickie one of the best always neat and tidy better dressed for work than i am for going out can see his house from mine and pass the time of day with his good lady most days usually when picking our grand kids up from school he offered to take me with him to germany with him one trip he delivered at a place where i have friends but at the time my friends where on holiday in australia so never made that one and now it’s too late,
thanks harry long retired.

Hi all,
The lady driver for Cavewood was Janice, me and Lynn shipped with her every week for a long time Portsmouth to St Malo, we still get cards at Christmas and the occasional letter. She is married with two sons and living on the Isle of Wight. Janice works for Fowler Welch on Nights (well she did at xmas) but i don`t know which depot.
Geoff

I remember Janice when I used to ship out of Southampton in the early 80s, sat up on the boat with her 1 night coming home drinking coffee & shooting the breeze, nice girl, that was the 1st time we had met but we had a good long chat. She had a left ■■■■■■ DAF wagon n drag, she could handle it too! I heard somewhere she ended up with a Dutch driver?