Caught out by temporary traffic light timings

driving down an A road near maldon this morning came across a set of roadworks with some traffic lights, i was front of the que and lights went to green i pulled off but workmen being workmen had made the gap wide enough for as van/car but not a truck, i had a traffic light and cones to my left and some person very well looked after hedge to my right, so i had to take my time making sure i

a.didnt run over the cones as their were too many wittnesses…
b. didnt take half the person cherished hedge out with the side of my truck.

so i squeezed through the gap and it widened up for the rest of the roadworks but because i had taken a bit of time to get through the gap the lights had changed at the other end just around the corner :open_mouth: :open_mouth: and cars started coming towards me i had cars behind me, the second car coming the other way nearly ran into the back of the first car as it braked seeing me.

they all had to reverse all the way back to the green light :laughing: :laughing: , all 5 of them, but had to wait for everone else in the que to backup to let them back in.

i’m sure the lady in the ka offered me some coffee but i was in a rush do didnt stop.

has anybody else found themselves in this sort of situation?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

depending on what the lady in the Ka looked like, i might have been tempted to stop for the coffee and a chat :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shuttlespanker:
depending on what the lady in the Ka looked like, i might have been tempted to stop for the coffee and a chat :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You get yourself into some pickles cruise :laughing:

I would’ve done every cone until it opened up, and when they put them out for the second time they might put them in the right place

i had a traffic light and cones to my left and some person very well looked after hedge to my right

Use horn to attract workmen so they move the cones or if no-one to do that then It would be perfectly ok in that situation to squash the cones providing that did not cause a problem to other road users

I did a job to a rugby ground in Surrey years ago.
There were roadworks and no sign of any workforce of course. The turn was too tight with traffic lights and railings etc so I got out, threw all their signs, cones and barriers into the hole and carried on my way. Not professional…but very funny :smiley:

it just goes to show how many drivers are like sheep :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
a green light means, if its safe then you can go.

I had great fun taking out a load of cones in some roadworks in Peterborough. They were on a bend and just about wide enough for a car. so I drove over them. They were wider the next night. :smiling_imp:

been on a bin motor that went through the tempory lights on green and had to put some bins on and when the lights changed on the other end a moronic car driver thought they could bully a wagon into moving

oh and they were kind enough to make the gap into a steet only wide enough for a match box so ended re aranging there signs and cones

A very similar thing happened to me when I took my C+E driving test.It was about then I gave up trying which is probably why I passed, :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i’ve had exactly the same thing happen to me. it was a straight bit of road but halfway through the roadworks was a pedestrian crossing which made the lane a bit tight. i inched my way through and sped up again, but the lights the other end had changed and the first couple of cars came charging up to me despite being able to see i was still making my way through! :unamused: of course it was all my fault :open_mouth: and they both offered me coffee as they squeezed between the cones to let me past :smiley:

… and i don’t lose any sleep over the amount of cones i’ve squashed :smiling_imp:

Never never feel you have to reverse for cars - you are big - they are small
eventually they’ll see sense and reverse back - if they don’t just turn off and sit back - they’ll soon get the idea
cheers
Steve

The only thing I miss about driving a bulker on nights was the ability to customize signage. :smiling_imp:

gm:
Never never feel you have to reverse for cars - you are big - they are small
eventually they’ll see sense and reverse back - if they don’t just turn off and sit back - they’ll soon get the idea
cheers
Steve

Exactly!
Stop
Handbrake on
Engine off
Shrug
Reach for flask and bait box
normally works

I believe that the Highway code says something about a Green light meaning you are able to proceed if the way is clear.
If you were already in the road works and they could see you it’s up to them to wait for you to complete you manourve before proceeding.

I had a similar thing a few years back I was delivering to a building site on the same day as they were resurfacing the road outside. it was one of those places you need to swing out to got into, realising this the road workers moved enough cones for me to swing in but that took longer than the drivers coming the other way where willing to wait. The only option is not to panic, but drive towards them with intent and then swing into the building site at the last moment, it’s strange how quickly they’ll bottle out. :smiley:

If that doesn’t work, you could try my brother technique, leap out of the cab shouting and waving your arms, whilst wearing a baseball cap with a stuffed parrot attached to it. Also helps if you’re 6’3". it does seem to stop any sort of protest from the waiting drivers just incase you come over to talk to them. :laughing:

muckles:
I believe that the Highway code says something about a Green light meaning you are able to proceed if the way is clear.
If you were already in the road works and they could see you it’s up to them to wait for you to complete you manourve before proceeding.

I had a similar thing a few years back I was delivering to a building site on the same day as they were resurfacing the road outside. it was one of those places you need to swing out to got into, realising this the road workers moved enough cones for me to swing in but that took longer than the drivers coming the other way where willing to wait. The only option is not to panic, but drive towards them with intent and then swing into the building site at the last moment, it’s strange how quickly they’ll bottle out. :smiley:

If that doesn’t work, you could try my brother technique, leap out of the cab shouting and waving your arms, whilst wearing a baseball cap with a stuffed parrot attached to it. Also helps if you’re 6’3". it does seem to stop any sort of protest from the waiting drivers just incase you come over to talk to them. :laughing:
[/quote]

6"3s a good height.
I normally find if I do have to get out of the cab. The situation normally resolves itself :laughing:

renaultman:

muckles:

[/quote]

6"3s a good height.
I normally find if I do have to get out of the cab. The situation normally resolves itself :laughing:

Fair enough, But wearing a stuffed parrot attached to a baseball cap does just take away the final bit of doubt in thier mind that you might be a bit of a nutter. :laughing:

muckles:

renaultman:

muckles:

[/quote]

6"3s a good height.

Fair enough, But wearing a stuffed parrot attached to a baseball cap does just take away the final bit of doubt in thier mind that you might be a bit of a nutter. :laughing:

you beat me to it lol