Caught drink and drug driving.

Winseer:
I must remain against legalizing recreational drugs beyond what they already are. Over-Drinking of Alcohol - can be contained at least…

No comment here about legalisation of other drugs.

But legal alcohol use in the UK?
Public Health England estimated in 2016 the costs to the economy:
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … e_2018.pdf
The executive summary is worth more than a quick glance.

“For many, alcohol is associated with positive aspects of life; however
there are currently over 10 million people drinking at levels which increase their risk of
health harm. Among those aged 15 to 49 in England, alcohol is now the leading risk
factor for ill-health, early mortality and disability and the fifth leading risk factor for illhealth across all age groups”
“In England, the average age at
death of those dying from an alcohol-specific cause is 54.3 years. The average age of
death from all causes is 77.6 years. More working years of life are lost in England as a
result of alcohol-related deaths than from cancer of the lung, bronchus, trachea, colon,
■■■■■■, brain, pancreas, skin, ovary, kidney, stomach, bladder and prostate, combined.”

JeffA:
The main reason it should be legalised is we are all supposed to have dominion over our own bodies.

That’s fine but often it results in affecting other people who have no interest in it, usually either in the form of violence, road traffic accidents or the anti-social ■■■■ that comes along with it. My next door neighbour was the local dealer so I’ve seen plenty of what kind of person takes this. I also have friends who smoke weed and they share one common factor, that they have no drive to do anything, their lives seemingly are obsessed by the stuff and their relationships with their wives and kids are suffering as they spend every evening monged out just wanting to sit there doing nothing. One ended up with his missus leaving. I say friends but TBH I barely see them anymore because they just want to sit there puffing away.

Conor:

JeffA:
The main reason it should be legalised is we are all supposed to have dominion over our own bodies.

That’s fine but often it results in affecting other people who have no interest in it, usually either in the form of violence, road traffic accidents or the anti-social [zb] that comes along with it. My next door neighbour was the local dealer so I’ve seen plenty of what kind of person takes this. I also have friends who smoke weed and they share one common factor, that they have no drive to do anything, their lives seemingly are obsessed by the stuff and their relationships with their wives and kids are suffering as they spend every evening monged out just wanting to sit there doing nothing. One ended up with his missus leaving. I say friends but TBH I barely see them anymore because they just want to sit there puffing away.

Thats like saying everyone who drinks is a violent thug. You ever heard of joe rogan? Solid muscle, expert in ju-jitsu worth 100 million - he says hes stoned on pot most days - helps him concentrate do his job and train. Look at the athletes who train on cannabis - certainly a lot fitter than I or you will ever be.generalising about millions of people doesnt really work - arnold schwarzenegger liked pot - nobody more driven than him

JeffA:
Theyve legalised it in a dozen states in the US already winseer - not been an upswing in people diving under the wheels of passing vehicles.

The main reason it should be legalised is we are all supposed to have dominion over our own bodies. Its like you enjoying football and some one saying “im banning it cos I dont like it”. Where did these people get the idea they can decide what you do with your own body? It comes from the same place as the old homosexual laws - busybodies and bigots forcing you to be like them

I’m inclined to agree with you there… “Died with Covid” would be on the death certificates in all cases where the body was still in one piece… :unamused: :unamused:

Im with you tho winseer - if you are high as a kite then you should be prosecuted. Its the “trace amounts” that I dont like.

Deleted.

Winseer:
Alcohol is legal to drink at any levels, providing you are not driving nor operating/in charge of machinery, or being a general nuisance in public.

Spot on, its not illegal to drink alcohol it is illegal to drive while over the drink drive limit, it is illegal to take the type of drugs the roadside drug test picks these drivers up on so the message is if you take illegal drugs don’t drive.

Bin Man:

Winseer:
Alcohol is legal to drink at any levels, providing you are not driving nor operating/in charge of machinery, or being a general nuisance in public.

Spot on, its not illegal to drink alcohol it is illegal to drive while over the drink drive limit, it is illegal to take the type of drugs the roadside drug test picks these drivers up on so the message is if you take illegal drugs don’t drive.

If the only argument against something is “cos its illegal” then its a good bet it should be legal.

JeffA:

Bin Man:

Winseer:

If the only argument against something is “cos its illegal” then its a good bet it should be legal.

Well obviously its not the only reason as i said you can have a couple of pints at 7 p.m and get up for work the next day at 8 a.m you know you would pass a breathalyser, if you have two joints at the same time and get up at the same time you wont pass the test and it makes no odds to me that you think the level in the drug test is too low you haven’t a clue what effect the stuff you have been smoking will have on your driving so don’t smoke anything that could impair your judgment when you are going to drive.

I also hate drug dealers with a vengeance they have invaded our town as they have most towns round here they are the scum of the earth and anyone who keeps them in business, smokes the ■■■■ they sell then drives knowing the consequences deserves everything they get.

In general and certainly in the area I live, the bloke who goes out for a few pints in his car doesn’t carry a blade, machete or a gun, not many sit in a car with his mates getting off their face in the supermarket car park, they then go racing around being chased by dragons and demons

Poor lad. Clearly just called in after a heavy night on the medicinal nose dust, I think we’ve all been caught out in that way one time or another. Just a slap on wrist and send him on his jolly way would suffice.

Bin Man:

JeffA:

Bin Man:

Winseer:

Well obviously its not the only reason as i said you can have a couple of pints at 7 p.m and get up for work the next day at 8 a.m you know you would pass a breathalyser, if you have two joints at the same time and get up at the same time you wont pass the test and it makes no odds to me that you think the level in the drug test is too low you haven’t a clue what effect the stuff you have been smoking will have on your driving so don’t smoke anything that could impair your judgment when you are going to drive.

I also hate drug dealers with a vengeance they have invaded our town as they have most towns round here they are the scum of the earth and anyone who keeps them in business, smokes the [zb] they sell then drives knowing the consequences deserves everything they get.

Yeah but saying “cos i dont like it” isnt much of an argument is it. I hate drunken football fans shutting roads and causing disruption every matchday - but I dont say ban football and arrest them.

Lets set the alcohol level at 2 as well - drink is by far the biggest cause of accidents when driving so by your argument we ban alcohol. Simples.

JeffA:

Bin Man:

JeffA:

Bin Man:

Winseer:

I also hate drug dealers with a vengeance they have invaded our town as they have most towns round here they are the scum of the earth and anyone who keeps them in business, smokes the [zb] they sell then drives knowing the consequences deserves everything they get.

Yeah but saying “cos i dont like it” isnt much of an argument is it. I hate drunken football fans shutting roads and causing disruption every matchday - but I dont say ban football and arrest them.

Lets set the alcohol level at 2 as well - drink is by far the biggest cause of accidents when driving so by your argument we ban alcohol. Simples.

Good logical sense.
I’ll bet health officials are in favour of it.
I’ll bet politicians concerned with votes aren’t.
If alcohol hadn’t been legal for ever and widely used, if it was a “new invention” I bet it would be outlawed straight off.

FFS have you ever thought about changing your username to the twister?

Let me explain again -
If you have two pints and stop drinking at 9 p.m when you get in your car the next morning at 8 am you are not going to be effected by alcohol or fail a test.
2 pints = 4 units it takes one hour for the body to get rid of one unit of alcohol and you must allow one hour for adsorption so 5 hours later you have no alcohol in your system,

Have 2 joints between 8 pm and 9 pm then drive at 8 am as above, you haven’t a clue if you are still effected by what you have smoked and you will fail the test.

You can have a couple of pints,and drive straight away.

commonrail:
You can have a couple of pints,and drive straight away.

Not in Scotland if you want to keep your licence.

Drink drive limit in England
35 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath (the ‘breath limit’)
80 milligrammes of alcohol in 100ml of blood (the ‘blood limit’)
107 milligrammes of alcohol in 100ml of urine (the ‘urine limit’)

Drink drive limit in Scotland
22 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath (the ‘breath limit’)
50 milligrammes of alcohol in 100ml of blood (the ‘blood limit’)
67 milligrammes of alcohol in 100ml of urine (the ‘urine limit’)

I don’t live in Scotland.

commonrail:
I don’t live in Scotland.

Neither do i but i thought it worth mentioning.

In that case…feel free to imbibe,2 pints of low strength ale.
Safe in the knowledge,that you’ll be less impaired,than the bloke that smoked a reefer…2 weeks ago.

commonrail:
In that case…feel free to imbibe,2 pints of low strength ale.

Why mention the strength, you could have two pints of 7% beer and still not have to worry about being breathalysed 12 hours later!

Beer, ale, lager or stout unit guide:
1 x 3% Pint = 1.9 Units
1 x 4% Pint = 2.3 Units
1 x 5% Pint = 2.8 Units
1 x 7% Pint = 4.0 Units