Cattle Floats in South Gloustershire

I helped Humphrey Shackel in the late fifties to mid sixties when I met him in 57/58 he had a Bedford 28hp petrol chassis with a 16ft Drew Bros cattle float, in 1959 he purchase a S Type Bedford 330 diesel with a 18ft Taylor Bros float. He had to they had to buy the hydraulic tail board springs from Drew’s as they invented them and held the pattern. I spent every available minute I could travelling regularly to Keynsham market on Mondays Bath on Wednesday and Chippenham on Friday Tuesday and Thursday we either worked on his small holding in Lower Hamswell or did anything that came up. Right down to the nitty gritty. I remember hearing of Jim Northover but never met him if I am correct they had the old Bedford 28s fitted with Perkins P6 they also had milk lorries they also replaced the Bedford 28 with S Types Nd later TKs l think they kept with Perkins engines in both the S Type and TKs. A.F. Cook was mentioned especially Sonny I remember him strutting around the markets with his big stick. The drivers of the cattle trucks I remember were Reg Ansty I know the registration on the AEC split screen cab was RDF I had can’t remember the numerals one of the other divers who also drove an AEC was called Fred and his registration was PAD, the other driver Len Charles drove a Commercial TS3 extended chassis. Their bodies where built b Carmichael’s The Butts Worcester I think they were 23/24. Other hauliers I remember were Reg Cambridge Henry Durnell, Harriways from Weston Super Mare Eric Vick Townsend from Church Down, that all for now