Cats to germany(diary)

well this was my last run for alan taylor and it was to load 3 mini catapillar diggers and take them to achim near bremen in germany.so off i goes to widdowsons near leicester to load as they do wharehousing and distribution for cat .when i got there the despatch guy told me i was 3 in line to be loaded as there were 3 trucks bound for achim one was chambers and cook and the other an ownerdriver called tony hayward from shropshire who subbed to c and c.now tony had an imaculate volvo F10 that was 14 years old the classic round twin headlamp model. anyway we all got loaded and headed out together down the m1 m25 m20 as far as ashford truckstop for the night.in the morning we were up at and away for 6 down to the chanel tunnel and onto france by this time id learnt that the only food you have on the train is the continental breakfast as it aint cooked .50 mins later were in france and off the train heading along the corridor e40 towards gent and then along the a14 to lokeren for the first break of the day and to top the tanks lokeren truckstop then ran a system that depending on how much fuel you put in you got a meal token worth about 4 or 5 quid so i thought id use that to buy my lunch but tony said keep it and me and gary the c and c driver will get yours.the reason for this was we got to talking wages on the way there on the cb and i told them it were my last run cuz the money wernt great.although that were the only downside to the job as alan was a great chap to work for.anyway lunch out of the way and its back on the road heading for antwerp and then into holland which was flat but very nice and there canals are like our rivers,the dutch barges that travel these canals are awsome things and sit so low in the water its a great site.so through holland we trundled breda tilburg nijmegan onto arnhemand then picking up the e30 all the way to the dutch german border by this time it were early evening and we stoped for tea at a resturant at the border my food paid for again :wink:so after eating and a few coffees we pushed on into germany and osnabruck from there we took the national 51 towards bremen as we were needing somewhere to park which turned out to be a layby in the forest which this road ran through now it were pitch black when we parked up .but in the morning we all got a suprise there were deer in the forest and we all had a drink and breakfast watching the deer have theirs .breakfast out the way and on up the 51 we went towards bremen back onto the a1 e37 past bremen then pick up the 234 south for achim for a short while then offj24 and into the ind est to cats dealer.we were met by this bloody great german who spoke great english and was a really nice guy he tipped all three of us and then took us for somthing to eat .while we were there c and c called and we got our reloads gary was off to hamburg and me and tony were going south tony to i think munster and i had 2 collections gelsenkchn and just below it bochum so we all head off and say buy to gary and me and tony head for osnabruck now if you think uk roads are bad the a1 e37 from bremen to osnabruck isnt the best its potholed and rutted like you wouldnt beleive any way tony says have you got a german map so i says no mate right ok the next services pull in and i,ll give ya directions to your collections so he did and he also gave me his brandnew shell germay map and said i wouldnt want ya to get lost.so we go our seperate ways but i wrote my number down for tony as he said he would meet me at my last collection at bochum.only one problem after having a natter and a coffee i took the paper with my number on with me .i got well lost in gelsen only finding the place by accident after driving round for an hour ::)now this is where the fun began i had a stepframe tilt and the pallets of lead ingots i was collecting were to be loaded through the back doors with a forklift only one problem even with the air on the trailer up and down on the rear of the unit it was no where near so they couldnt load me ,that was until the morning when i had to pull inside the factory and strip both sides of the trailer oh what fun.anyway once loaded i ask for directions to jaeger transport in bochum so i can top up the load and get the paperwork from the agent.no problem says the guy that loaded me you will be there in 30 minutes great thanks i say,now nearly 2 hours later i still cant find it so i stops the truck next to a garage and asks at the shop no joy there so i ask at the garage next to it now the guy i asked was what youd call your steryotypical german a big bloke blonde hair and dungerees so he said yes i know this place follow me so off i trots behind him and he says no, no,you camion me car you follow ,so in the truck and i follow him and within ten mins im there and he gets out of his car takes me to the office of jaegers and asks me what i want and then tells them in german once he,s done that he then says i go to oxford and i drive round and round for 2 hours finnaly i stop and ask a taxi driver and he show me the way i need to go so i know what its like to be lost in a strange country .so after thanking him many times he,s away and i have some rocket fuel disguised as coffee man this stuff was strong and after 3 cups i could of drove to the moon and back.so paperwork sorted seals on its back on the long raod home this time on the e34 towards eindhoven antwerp gent calais and the tunnel not much to say about the last leg as it were flat out all the way back to the tunnel.on the train no problems through and out the other side up the m20 m25 and you know your back in england as you sit in traffic all the way to the m1 up the m1 and back to the yard and that was it the last one.i never did see tony again but i do know he,s still about and id just like to thank him for helping me out and his advice and he had some great stories of doing yugoslavia the czech republic even russia but my favourite was the one where he did a changeover at the transmarc truckstop just outside calaias and ended up taking an illegal immigrant all the way to spain.tony found him and asked what he was doing there he said english trailer go to england tony says no english trailer go to spain on hereing this he said the guys face was a picture.but tony being tony he got him a meal gave him a towel to get a shower and a blanket for sleeping .a true gent if ever there was one

Certainly an entertaining read. I seem to recall seeing a white Renault Premium recently with Tony Hudson painted in blue across the front. Could it be the same one?

Where are you getting these accounts from, they are good reading?

A very nice read Carl,Thansks a lot.

any chance of using paragraphs on the next post i might make an effort to tread it

Well this was my last run for Alan Taylor and it was to load 3 mini caterpillar diggers and take them to Achim near Bremen in Germany. so off i goes to Widdowsons near Leicester to load as they do warehousing and distribution for cat .when i got there the dispatch guy told me i was 3 in line to be loaded as there were 3 trucks bound for Achim one was chambers and cook and the other an owner-driver called Tony Hudson from Shropshire who subbed to c and c. now Tony had an immaculate Volvo F10 that was 14 years old the classic round twin headlamp model.

Anyway we all got loaded and headed out together down the m1 m25 m20 as far as Ashford truck stop for the night. in the morning we were up at and away for 6 down to the channel tunnel and onto France by this time id learnt that the only food you have on the train is the continental breakfast as it aint cooked .50 mins later were in France and off the train heading along the corridor e40 towards gent and then along the a14 to lowered for the first break of the day and to top the tanks Lokeren truck stop then ran a system that depending on how much fuel you put in you got a meal token worth about 4 or 5 quid so i thought id use that to buy my lunch but Tony said keep it and me and Gary the c and c driver will get yours.

The reason for this was we got to talking wages on the way there on the cb and i told them it were my last run cuz the money weren’t great. Although that were the only downside to the job as Alan was a great chap to work for. anyway lunch out of the way and its back on the road heading for Antwerp and then into Holland which was flat but very nice and there canals are like our rivers, the Dutch barges that travel these canals are awesome things and sit so low in the water its a great site. so through Holland we trundled Breda Tilburg Nijmegan onto Rangeland then picking up the e30 all the way to the Dutch German border by this time it were early evening and we stopped for tea at a restaurant at the border.

my food paid for again :wink:so after eating and a few coffees we pushed on into Germany and Osnabruck from there we took the national 51 towards Bremen as we were needing somewhere to park which turned out to be a lay by in the forest which this road ran through now it were pitch black when we parked up .but in the morning we all got a surprise there were deer in the forest and we all had a drink and breakfast watching the deer have theirs .breakfast out the way

on up the 51 we went towards Bremen back onto the a1 e37 past Bremen then pick up the 234 south for Achim for a short while then offj24 and into the ind est to cats dealer. we were met by this bloody great German who spoke great English and was a really nice guy he tipped all three of us and then took us for something to eat .while we were there c and c called and we got our reloads Gary was off to Hamburg and me and Tony were going south Tony to i think Munster and i had 2 collections Gelsenkchn and just below it Bochum so we all head off and say buy to Gary and me and Tony head for Osnabruck now if you think UK roads are bad the a1 e37 from bremen to Osnabruck

isn’t the best its potholed and rutted like you wouldn’t believe any way Tony says have you got a German map so i says no mate right ok the next services pull in and i, ll give ya directions to your collections so he did and he also gave me his brand-new shell Germany map and said i wouldn’t want ya to get lost. So we go our separate ways but i wrote my number down for Tony as he said he would meet me at my last collection at Bochum. Only one problem after having a natter and a coffee i took the paper with my number on with me .i got well lost in Gelsen only finding the place by accident after driving round for an hour:

) now this is where the fun began i had a stepframe tilt and the pallets of lead ingots i was collecting were to be loaded through the back doors with a forklift only one problem even with the air on the trailer up and down on the rear of the unit it was no where near so they couldnt load me, that was until the morning when i had to pull inside the factory and strip both sides of the trailer oh what fun. Anyway once loaded i ask for directions to Jaeger transport in Bochum so i can top up the load and get the paperwork from the agent. no problem says the guy that loaded me you will be there in 30 minutes great thanks i say, now nearly 2 hours later i still cant find it so i stops the truck next to a garage and asks at the shop no joy there so i ask at the garage next to it now the guy i asked was what you’d call your stereotypical German

a big bloke blonde hair and dungarees so he said yes i know this place follow me so off i trots behind him and he says no, no, you camion me car you follow ,so in the truck and i follow him and within ten mins i’m there and he gets out of his car takes me to the office of jaegers and asks me what i want and then tells them in German once he’s done that he then says i go to oxford and i drive round and round for 2 hours finally i stop and ask a taxi driver and he show me the way i need to go so i know what its like to be lost in a strange country .so after thanking him many times he’s away and i have some rocket fuel disguised as coffee man this stuff was strong and after 3 cups i could of drove to the moon and back.

so paperwork sorted seals on its back on the long road home this time on the e34 towards Eindhoven Antwerp gent Calais and the tunnel not much to say about the last leg as it were flat out all the way back to the tunnel. on the train no problems through and out the other side up the m20 m25 and you know your back in England as you sit in traffic all the way to the m1 up the m1 and back to the yard and that was it the last one. I never did see Tony again but i do know he’s still about and id just like to thank him for helping me out and his advice and he had some great stories of doing Yugoslavia the Czech republic even Russia but my favorite was the one where he did a change Transmarck truck stop just outside Calais and ended up taking an illegal immigrant all the way to Spain. Tony found him and asked what he was doing there he said English trailer go to England Tony says no English trailer go to Spain on herein this he said the guys face was a picture. But Tony being Tony he got him a meal gave him a towel to get a shower and a blanket for sleeping .a true gent if ever there was one

i know it still needs tidying up but i did my bit

hitch cheers mate i does look better ta :laughing: :wink:

Where are you getting these accounts from, they are good reading?

cheers neil it is all my own work, i never took any pics of my trips across the water and i never wrote a diary either but after reading yours i just thought id have ago. this one as it was my last run and italy and back was my first and one i,ll never forget. i posted them on a friends site and i got alot of nice comments so i thought id air them on here aswell.so thanks for the kind comments from yourself and everyone else
cheers :laughing: :wink:

Whats your friends site adress Carl?

Carl:
cheers neil it is all my own work,

Didn’t realise it was your own, the way you had posted it with the quote thing sort of threw me. :wink: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Great stuff, keep 'em coming please.

ive got em saved neil and using quotes is the only way i know of transfering mate im a bit of a computer numpty :laughing:

Carl:
ive got em saved neil and using quotes is the only way i know of transfering mate im a bit of a computer numpty :laughing:

Just highlight all the text in the saved version. Press Ctrl+C then click directly in the message body box you use to make a post and press Ctrl+V, no need to use the

tags at all. If you delete the

tags from the start and end of each account then it will appear as a normal post.

job done cheers neil :wink:

Nice Read :smiley:

Jaegers in Mausgatt, Bochum is a bit awckward to find the first time isn’t it :smiley: ?

Good read mate.

Jaegers in Mausgatt, Bochum is a bit awckward to find the first time isn’t it ?

simon tell me bout it .they were on a reclaimed bit of land formaly a scrapyard behind a supermarket if memory serves

found a couple of pics of tony,s volvo the first pic is when he subbed for beresford and the second is after its repray when he subbed for bassets of tittensor hed not long finished with them and started for chambers and cook when i met him iirc

Thanks for rekindling that post Carl. I think I met Tony Hayward a few times when we used to park up in Nachtweide BASF near Ludwigshaven.

Seem to remember him as quite a nice chap.

he,s a cracking bloke malc,he helped me no end on that run and i,ll be forever grateful to him :wink:

Thanks for the excellent read and also
showing that truckers are still the shareing and careing kind of people,
nice also to read about the nice side of the germans who do often amaze people
by their helpfullness,