Category C1 question

Can’t seem to find anything specific about this on the DVLA website.

If someone passes a C1 test, do they have to undergo medicals after age 45 if they are not using the licence for working? As far as I am aware you don’t have to if you hold the licence via grandfather rights. If this is the case, it would seem to be a bit of an anomaly.

Question has been raised by a camper-van group I’m with on Facebook; would welcome a definitive answer or link to the right place on DVLA site please.

Sidevalve:

If someone passes a C1 test, do they have to undergo medicals after age 45 if they are not using the licence for working? As far as I am aware you don’t have to if you hold the licence via grandfather rights. If this is the case, it would seem to be a bit of an anomaly.

Question has been raised by a camper-van group I’m with on Facebook; would welcome a definitive answer or link to the right place on DVLA site please.

A D4 medical needs to be passed to retain the C1 licence - using it for work or not does not make a difference

Pre 97 free C1 needs a D4 medical every 3 years from age 70
Passing a C1 test needs that to be every 5 years from age 45 and every year from age 65

DAFT aint it !!

ROG:

Sidevalve:

A D4 medical needs to be passed to retain the C1 licence - using it for work or not does not make a difference

Passing a C1 test needs that to be every 5 years from age 45 and every year from age 65

DAFT aint it !!

I turn 70 in August, I renewed HGV & PSV last year, which as expected, expire in 2023, but for some reason in October, so I checked my car, D1 & C1 expiry dates presuming they expire next month, but they all expire in October 2025 - which is a surprise.

Strange isn’t it how each country differs regarding what is considered healthy.Here in Sweden I renewed my car\HGV license with medical last year at 71 & it was automatically renewed for 5 years.

ROG:

Sidevalve:

DAFT aint it !!

What happens if you take your medical at 63 years old? Does it last for 5 years?

ROG:
DAFT aint it !!

I agree. But we are talking about government here; we’d be even more surprised if they actually HAD thought it through.

shullbit:
What happens if you take your medical at 63 years old? Does it last for 5 years?

My own HGV licence is “out of kilter”; I will be 65 in 2025 but my last medical was last year at age 62. When I got my licence back, it was dated until the day before my 66th birthday; if I’d had the full whack it would have been 67 so I only lost a year.

Can’t specifically answer your question with that but it seems they’re a little more pragmatic than they used to be.

Here in nsw, you don’t even need a medical, only an eye test. The HC licence is renewed every 5 years … no DCPC , no tacho card just a work diary if you go over 100kn as crow flys from base.

Sidevalve:

I believe that it would fall into the category of being a five year licence like any other LGV licence. If not renewed at 45 (edit: not necessarily at 45, but on first renewal after 45) with a medical, then it may default to being a ten year car licence. A renewal of a car licence may cost something if I remember rightly.

I seem to remember effectively having two C1s on my licence, one expiring when I am 70 and the other in line with my LGV entitlements.

Sidevalve:

ROG:
DAFT aint it !!

I agree. But we are talking about government here; we’d be even more surprised if they actually HAD thought it through.

I don’t agree. How can the government possibly introduce a law without being unfair to those that already have the entitlement. There’s going to be a disparity between the two groups until the older ones die out.

That why if you have grandfather rights you have a code 107 at the side

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

rearaxle:
That why if you have grandfather rights you have a code 107 at the side

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

107 restriction relates to C1+E. This discussion is about C1 (which doesn’t have any such restriction).

stu675:

Sidevalve:

ROG:
DAFT aint it !!

I don’t agree. How can the government possibly introduce a law without being unfair to those that already have the entitlement. There’s going to be a disparity between the two groups until the older ones die out.

The disparity exists whether you find it acceptable or not. Laws change over time, there’s a cut off point where an entitlement is retained regardless of other considerations (pre-1997 licences), and the later time point where people do not have that entitlement

Was it fair that those of us who had the freebie C1 due to having a pre1997 licence could work as a 7.5T driver and those with a 1998 licence could not unless they took a further test?

Would it have been fair to remove our pre-1997 bonus entitlement? Potentially putting people out of work?

Is it fair that someone (eg me) had to do a C then a C+E test in order to drive class 1’s, whereas someone today does not have to do that? (NB I personally don’t care about that)

The law is what it is, at some point lines are drawn, that’s life, no good complaining about it.