Category B+E - Quick question

Hi Guys

Quick question - not sure if anyone can help.

When the law changed recently, those with a manual car license who had previously passed their test in an automatic LGV/PCV are now entitled to drive a vehicle with a manual gear box. Is this also the case with car and trailer (BE) license?

We have a driver who passed their BE some years ago in an autometic vehicle, and just wondering whether they would be entitled to drive a manual vehicle and pull a trailer, or whether they would need to retake the practical test?

Searched for a while but to no avail - hope someone can help

Many thanks. :smiley: :smiley:

No. It also doesn’t work with C1 just out of interest.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Peter. Very helpful.

Didn’t know that about C1. Guessing it is the same for D1 too.

Many thanks again.

Yep.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
No. It also doesn’t work with C1 just out of interest.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Does make you wonder why with C1.

When I passed C, looking online at my licence details I have 2 C1 entitlements showing. One that finishes same as car which is obviously my grandfather rights version and the other finishes same as C in 5 yrs.

You’d think they’d let you have manual on the C1 as its still LGV. Though I wouldn’t know how to check as I’ve passed all my tests in manuals . I assume it’s a restriction code if automatics only

The mysteries of DVLA

78 - restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission

the 78 will be next to any category with such a restriction

If you pass car (B) manual then pass C and CE in auto you will get all these in manual
B BE C1 C1E C CE

If you pass car (B) manual then pass C1 and BE in auto you will get
B manual
C1 and BE in auto

Here is a weird one
If you pass car (B) auto then pass C1 and BE in auto you will get
B BE and C1 in auto
But then if you pass C manual you get
B C1 C in manual
BE remains auto
Then pass CE auto you get B BE C1 C1E C CE all in manual

ROG, you need to get out more!!

I’ll stand by my statement - mystery of DVLA!! No wonder people get confused and drive vehicles they probably shouldn’t !

dcgpx:
I’ll stand by my statement - mystery of DVLA!! No wonder people get confused and drive vehicles they probably shouldn’t !

Its a clash between EU and UK law which is causing this situation

If UK law was to make a few changes to match the EU law changes then it would make more sense

ROG:
If you pass car (B) manual then pass C and CE in auto you will get all these in manual
B BE C1 C1E C CE

If you pass car (B) manual then pass C1 and BE in auto you will get
B manual
C1 and BE in auto

Here is a weird one
If you pass car (B) auto then pass C1 and BE in auto you will get
B BE and C1 in auto
But then if you pass C manual you get
B C1 C in manual
BE remains auto
Then pass CE auto you get B BE C1 C1E C CE all in manual

Thanks Rog. Confusing, but helpful nonetheless.

On a side note, does this mean you can now go from an auto B to a manual C1/C/D1/D? I was always under the impression you must hold a manual B in order to progress to higher manual categories.

Thanks

BishBashBosh:
On a side note, does this mean you can now go from an auto B to a manual C1/C/D1/D? I was always under the impression you must hold a manual B in order to progress to higher manual categories.

Thanks

You have always been able to go from auto B to any other manual - on passing the test it will upgrade B to manual

It’s not important, but I’m reliably informed that the reason the C1 doesn’t get manual if it’s taken on auto is that the DSA (now DVSA) forgot to include it in the changes.

Sounds about right!