Cat D car problem

Afternoon everyone
My step daughter bought a Seat Ibiza last year. She took it into a dealer yesterday looking to get a new car. They told her the Ibiza was a Cat D. It’s the first she knew about this!
So, my questions to my learned friends:-

• Does the Cat D have to be notified to the new owner on purchase?
  • Where is this information recorded?
  • More importantly, does she have to notify her insurance company of the cars status? (now known)
    It was a private sale, so no recourse there.
    Cheers guys
    Paul

Cat D is very light damage ,and a viable repair ,nothing to worry about ,it will/should show on a hpi check though

d4c24a:
Cat D is very light damage ,and a viable repair ,nothing to worry about ,it will/should show on a hpi check though

I don’t think thats correct, I thought Cat D was a write off but repaired. Stand to be corrected though.

It should be recorded on the V5 registration document.

FarnboroughBoy11:

d4c24a:

I don’t think thats correct, I thought Cat D was a write off but repaired. Stand to be corrected though.

here you go

Cat D is the least serious category. It usually means that the vehicle has suffered light damage but the insurance company’s decision to repair it is dependent on the cost of the repairs and the value of the vehicle.

A and B are true write offs for parts only

With a private sale they only have to mention it when asked. If it had been a dealership its a different story.

It is recorded on the MiB database as well as VOSA and can be found out with a £2 HPI check.

She doesn’t have to notify the insurance company.

Personally for Cat D I’d not worry. Cat D is “Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.” Depending on the age and value of the car it can be Cat D just because all the wheels were stolen. Hell my wife once had an old Vauxhall Nova that was going to be written off because of a slight dint in the rear wheel arch where some old duffer decided to drive into the side of the wife’s car and the cost of a proper repair exceeded the value of the car. If that had been written off, the dint filled with a little blob of filler and the car put back on the road it would have been Cat D.

Cat C you need to be more wary of as there’s usually structural/suspension/steering damage involved with that.

Cat d is not a write off.It`s a car that the insurance company consider to be not financially viable for them to repair even though the damage is light.
What it should do though is show up on a hpi check, and what it will do is make the car a ■■■■ sight more difficult to sell on and worth quite abit less.

pete-b:

wrong only cat c will be on logbook sayin vehicle was recorded as damaged/repaired and idenity checked on such a date i know this becauyse yesterday i weighed in my mates pug 306 which was a cat c right off thats been repaired cat D you do not have to declare to a buyer its just good practice to tell them thou

From whichcarcheck.co.uk/insuranc … gories.htm

Insurance Loss Categories - Quick reference

• Category A - Must be crushed. All of it.
  • Category B - Vehicle may not be returned to road but parts may be sold.
  • Category C - Repairable. Significant damage. Cost of the repair is more than book value of vehicle at dealer rates.
  • Category D - Repairable. Probably non-structural damage. May have been economic to repair, but insurer doesn’t want to.
  • Category X - Repairable. Minor Damage

This is a decent small read

telegraph.co.uk/motoring/roa … -offs.html

IMO, I wouldnt worry about buying a CAT D, when you come to sell it people will try it on, but you can find some bargain D’s out there.

I think cat C also has a lower insurance payout value (30% lower than book) as they have already been paid out on once before.

also make sure your you tell your insurer as if you have a bump and it comes out when they re do there checks they prob won’t pay out

You should tell the insurance company really, as it has had a recorded accident against it, so it has had a claim made against the car, so if they do find out the insurance company will pay you less for it against a claim.
I’ve had plenty of cat c cat d cars, have motor trade insurance so never really have a problem, but as already said, there are some real bargains on category cars, but just make sure the cat c have been repaired correctly, because there is no real check on if they have been repaired to any high standard.
When selling the cars I tend to tell the buyer as a matter of courtesy.

peewee:

pete-b:

wrong only cat c will be on logbook sayin vehicle was recorded as damaged/repaired and idenity checked on such a date i know this becauyse yesterday i weighed in my mates pug 306 which was a cat c right off thats been repaired cat D you do not have to declare to a buyer its just good practice to tell them thou

WRONG, I own one, :wink:

http://wrecks2riches.co.uk/2008/03/salvage-catagories-cat-d-cat-c-cat-b/

Clears a few things up
Cat D is only registered on HPI
Only C and above are logged on DVLA and the log books you sometimes do get cat D’s with it on the log book if its been declared to DVLA

d4c24a:

FarnboroughBoy11:

d4c24a:

here you go

Cat D is the least serious category. It usually means that the vehicle has suffered light damage but the insurance company’s decision to repair it is dependent on the cost of the repairs and the value of the vehicle.

A and B are true write offs for parts only

One if those categories means the whole at needs to be crushed, no parts allowed. I think it may be B as I’m sure A is fire damage.

Category D means the car can be repaired and WILL NOT require a VIC check. You also don’t have to disclose the information to the new owner/prospective buyer. I’m pretty sure it doesn’t have to be recorded either. Sorry, sounds like you’ve been dealt a bad hand. Sell it privately.

And yes you should tell your insurance as it may void it, cover your own back in case of an incident. Most cases it wont increase the premium but chances are they will need a copy of a VIC check by a garage (for example Vauxhalls 120 point check or whatever it is). Some insurance companies don’t need to be notified but best to check.

If you are selling the car, save yourself the hassle and dont bother telling them. just get shut of it privately.

Must must cat A be crushed? Even if some parts are salvageable?

bazza123:
Must must cat A be crushed? Even if some parts are salvageable?

Category A. Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.
Category B The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.
Category C Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.
Category D Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.
Category F Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair.

Actually this link is better:

datachecks.co.uk/insurancelosscategories.htm

My experience: 3 years ago I bought an old 3.5 tonne Transit tipper. Three weeks later an old bloke lost control of his car and hit it while parked. The damage was only superficial but came to £1900 plus vat at the approved bodyshop. The insurance engineer 'phoned and I wasn’t surprised to hear he wanted to write it off, asked whether I realised it was recorded as a cat C write off in 2001. I didn’t, as I hadn’t bothered to check due to it being a cheapie and worth to me what I gave for it , and it wasn’t recorded on the V5. He then proceeded to agree that what I paid for it was fair had it not been cat C, but went on to offer me less than half what I’d given ( a bit bigger hit than the 30% hit suggested by m1cks). Long story short, I told him where to stick his offer, we negotiated, I kept the motor and he gave me some money to mend it, I put it in to a little independent bodyshop and ended up in profit! I’ve since given the motor to my brother who’s still running it and it’s still not recorded in the V5. By the way, not only burnt cars become cat A, I remember a few years ago quite a few cars that were in floodwater being categorised A, insurance decide they were a health hazard due to sewage in the water.
Bernard