Cat C Versus C+E

I just got my cat C and Im currently running the ‘new inexperienced driver employment gauntlet’ and hitting brick walls when it comes to anyone taking me on without experience, lots of place that I call only take on C+E drivers and my inquiry is whether its best to stick with geting some Cat C experience before doing my C+E or whether to get my C+E and just be in the same position as I am now? Some people have said i’m more likely to get taken on as a Cat C driver if i’ve done C+E but I just dont know. Thanks in advance for any response
Skinnyjim

I think you’d still be in the same “2 years” boat even if you qualified for class 1. I don’t think you’re more likely to be taken on class 2 if you’ve got class 1.

DILEMMA, DILEMMA :wink:

Ok, you could look at it this way…

You may still need that 2 years experience for C+E but the earlier you get it, the earlier that 2 years will go by. It may open up new options should the opportunity come along.

Then there is the paying out for something that may not be used for some time - can you AFFORD to INVEST that sort of money for that period :question: :question:

My original advice to newbies was to do a few months on C before going for the C+E but in this current climate that advice has been temporarily thrown out the window…

How do you work out your courses ROG? Do you do a set week/fortnight or by the day as required?

The reason I ask is I took a half day assessment @ £17.00. The man said I needed 3days training @ £34 a day plus test, plus half day pre-test warm up. Since then, I heard my local HGV training outfit takes two week courses only and the local bus firms are training, hiring then firing drivers all the time and charging them £1,200 a time for 2wk course unless they complete 12mths employment.

berewic:
How do you work out your courses ROG? Do you do a set week/fortnight or by the day as required?

The reason I ask is I took a half day assessment @ £17.00. The man said I needed 3days training @ £34 a day plus test, plus half day pre-test warm up. Since then, I heard my local HGV training outfit takes two week courses only and the local bus firms are training, hiring then firing drivers all the time and charging them £1,200 a time for 2wk course unless they complete 12mths employment.

When I was working… how long ago was that now?.. last MAY !!.. lets not go there… :unamused:

The LGV courses were intensive courses of fixed duration 3, 5, 7 days, as examples, with a test on the last day.

It is done this way as the training companies can fit them in better to fill the time.

There is, however, nothing to stop any training school from doing 1 day/half day/1 MINUTE!! a week/month/YEAR!! LGV tuition and then booking the test when you are ready for it - it is totally down to the training school.

What you describe about the bus company training sounds like a contract where the training is given for free in return for a 1 year term of employment with the company.
If the driver quits before the 1 year is up then they forfeit that free training and have to pay for it.
However, if the company release the driver (unless it’s a disciplinary matter) they have no legal right to that training money being recouped from the driver.

An old mate of mine went on the buses and got sacked on the spot after about 8mths for defecting and refusing to take a bus out he didn’t think safe. They took his last two weeks wages in exchange for the training fees.

I told him to see a lawyer about unfair/constructive dismissal, but he just let it go.

berewic:
An old mate of mine went on the buses and got sacked on the spot after about 8mths for defecting and refusing to take a bus out he didn’t think safe. They took his last two weeks wages in exchange for the training fees.

I told him to see a lawyer about unfair/constructive dismissal, but he just let it go.

You gave him good advice and it is his own fault that it cost him money to ignore it

Cheers Jeffa/ROG, just dont know whats best, think i’ll get my C+E asap while im still looking for ‘C’ work, at least then its done and my 2 years start like ROG says. Ta again

skinnyjim80:
Cheers Jeffa/ROG, just dont know whats best, think i’ll get my C+E asap while im still looking for ‘C’ work, at least then its done and my 2 years start like ROG says. Ta again

Will you be going to do your C+E at the same school that you did C with and, if yes, do they train for C+E with an ARTIC or W&D :question: :question:

No def not, I passed cat C with the company that offers ‘free C+E’ if you pass the operators CPC (I dont feel too bad/ripped off about it cos I paid £900 for the lot and passed 1st time), even if I could get through that ■■■■■■■ study manual then its just a W+D not an arctic, theres a local school (L&T) that i’m gonna go with.

I do believe L&T are on the LGV TRAINING SCHOOLS - Recommended by members list :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

berewic:

They had no right to do that.Get a lawer, was it slavecoach.!