Cat C towing

Hi guys, got my class 2, going out in a 7.5 tonne on monday recovery job, now I understand I can tow upto 750kg, I’ve got a feeling it will weigh upto a tonne.

My question is, if it was weighed do they just weigh the axle? If so would this bring the weight down considerably, also if it is over 750kg, would it be punished for exceeding weight limits or driving without correct license?

Thanks in advance

tommyboy1289:
Hi guys, got my class 2, going out in a 7.5 tonne on monday recovery job, now I understand I can tow upto 750kg, I’ve got a feeling it will weigh upto a tonne.

My question is, if it was weighed do they just weigh the axle? If so would this bring the weight down considerably, also if it is over 750kg, would it be punished for exceeding weight limits or driving without correct license?

Thanks in advance

The limit is 750 kg plated MAM weight

Exceeding the plated weight could get you done on two counts - overloading the trailer and/or driving not in accordance with the licence

I really have no idea on the answer to your question, but I suspect you’d need C1E to tow more than 750kg, so if it weighs a ton, you’re driving otherwise in accordance with your licence and can get substantial trouble - IF you got pulled…

Also, the towing limit is MAM - Max Authorised Mass, so if it’s plated to 2 ton but weighs 750kg you are still breaking the law…

waynedl:
I really have no idea on the answer to your question, but I suspect you’d need C1E to tow more than 750kg, so if it weighs a ton, you’re driving otherwise in accordance with your licence and can get substantial trouble - IF you got pulled…

Also, the towing limit is MAM - Max Authorised Mass, so if it’s plated to 2 ton but weighs 750kg you are still breaking the law…

Daft thing is, you can tow heavier trailers with a car!

weeto:

waynedl:

True.

Cheers guys, think I’m gonna put it on flatbed and take it to a weighbridge see what the crack is first, if it’s not much over i may be able to ‘loose’ some bits from inside

[/quote]

True.
[/quote]
Only if you have B+E entitlement on your licence :wink:

Crap quotes - Sorted lower down the page

trux:

[/quote]

True.

[/quote]
Which i currently do.
DVLA medical board have only just given me my car licence back with the B+E entitlement on it. They are still saying i have to wait a year from my accident for my LGV licence and yet i now go out most days in a l.w.b Land Rover Defender with a 3 axle flat bed trailer moving various cherry picker type machines about.
It cracks me up the way the DVLA think, as the Landy and trailer set up is abit longer than the firms 18 tonner and its alot more of a challenging, (imho) set up to drive, than a freighted 18 tonner.

trux:

waynedl:

weeto:

waynedl:

True.

False!

finally bloody sorted the crap quotes

I didnt mention the specific weights > so true and false :wink: and where necessary i thank you for the correction :grimacing:

source :
gov.uk/towing-with-car

1. Driving licence rules and what you can tow
    The rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.

You can view your driving licence information online to see if you’re allowed to tow.

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
a trailer over 750kg as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)
If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Licences held from 1 January 1997
If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined weight of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg
For anything heavier you need to take a category B+E driving test.

Licences held before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.

This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.

You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Towing heavier combinations
If you want to tow heavier combinations, you’ll have to first apply for provisional entitlement to the new C1+E entitlement. You’ll then have to pass the category C theory test and C1+E practical test.

Once you’ve done this you can drive vehicles and trailers with a combined weight of up to 12 tonnes MAM.

C1E is not the usual 750kg trailer, it is done on the combined weight of no more than 8250kg.

example: unit 5000kg and trailer 3250kg.

I know this as I have driven a mini artic on my C1E before I passed my class 2, the unit was 5250kg and the trailer was 2000kg unloaded.

trux:

[/quote]

True.

[/quote]
Incorrect

This is legal on a B only licence - Vehicle GVW 2000 with trailer plated MAM 1500

trux:
If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg (MAM), you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

they missed the word (MAM) again = typical Gov

Also - there is no difference for any driver using a B or B+E licence no matter when they got it so why the Gov still has various dated rules on the internet is a mystery