Cat C Test

Hello all,

Today I went for my test and did not pass on going backwards so any help from you guys on going backwards would be a great help, the drive it self was great even going through town centre at 8:45am.

I am taking it again on the 23 sep which is on a a week come this Monday.

Many Thanks
Peter Myers

petermyers:
Hello all,

Today I went for my test and did not pass on going backwards so any help from you guys on going backwards would be a great help, the drive it self was great even going through town centre at 8:45am.

Many Thanks
Peter Myers

Which bit of the reverse did you have trouble with?

Always stop short!

You can then get out have a look (once) and work out how much farther you need to go.

I think I did that and was on the mark first time. Glad I didn’t go for the mark I was aiming for as I’d have hit the barrier!

Take your time and just go through the process you’ve been taught.

Good luck for the 23rd.

Cheers
Gareth

ROG:

petermyers:
Hello all,

Many Thanks
Peter Myers

Which bit of the reverse did you have trouble with?

just going backwards towards one of the cones that I could not see and thought I would miss it but went right over it, the thing is that I did not see it and just went on, like I say never mind because the drive it self went great.

gar374:
Always stop short!

You can then get out have a look (once) and work out how much farther you need to go.

I think I did that and was on the mark first time. Glad I didn’t go for the mark I was aiming for as I’d have hit the barrier!

Take your time and just go through the process you’ve been taught.

Good luck for the 23rd.

Cheers
Gareth

Thanks Gareth, System Training who I took it with worked fast in getting me back asap, such a good lot their

The most common cone to be run over is B cone - the one in the middle that you should go round first. And the most common reason for hitting it is down to a weak position at the start. Looking at cones A and A1 (the ones furthest from you) you should aim to be as far to the left as possible without covering the cone. But the examiner will show you a diagram showing the vehicle central between the cones. If you do that you’ve made your life much more difficult as you cant get and keep the lock on as the OSF wheel is now heading firmly for the yellow line.

Another common scenario is to position well but, for reasons best known to the candidate, reverse in a straight line before steering - and then steering slowly.

One of my specialities is training LGV instructors; the above scenarios come up on a regular basis.

Let’s hope it goes better next time.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
The most common cone to be run over is B cone - the one in the middle that you should go round first. And the most common reason for hitting it is down to a weak position at the start. Looking at cones A and A1 (the ones furthest from you) you should aim to be as far to the left as possible without covering the cone. But the examiner will show you a diagram showing the vehicle central between the cones. If you do that you’ve made your life much more difficult as you cant get and keep the lock on as the OSF wheel is now heading firmly for the yellow line.

Another common scenario is to position well but, for reasons best known to the candidate, reverse in a straight line before steering - and then steering slowly.

One of my specialities is training LGV instructors; the above scenarios come up on a regular basis.

Let’s hope it goes better next time.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi, the cone I hit was the left hand one going into the bay that I was going into, anyhow will just take my time on it and if I need to go forward then I will,

Many thanks
Peter Myers

petermyers:
Hi, the cone I hit was the left hand one going into the bay that I was going into

that is the B cone

petermyers wrote:Hi, the cone I hit was the left hand one going into the bay that I was going into

that is the B cone

B cone is the one in the middle - stands on it’s own.

The “left hand one going into the bay” is C cone.

Ironically, I had a candidate fail today as he lined up incorrecty at the start of the exercise and promptly reversed over B cone.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

As already stated the key is good positioning at the start. As far to the left as possible towards the cone on the nearside. As soon as you start moving backwards apply FULL left hand lock. You should have this on within about 1 foot backwards. Run your front offside wheel parallel to the yellow line about 6 inches inside it.

Once you can see cone B in the offside mirror apply more left hand lock until you see another cone with a stick. This is one of 2 cones marking the bay entrance. Keep both cones on your right hand side about 1-2 feet from the body of the vehicle. You will not be able to see the left bay entrance cone until you are safely in the bay. If you have any doubts about your position take a forward shunt.

KEY POINTS

1. Start as far to the left as possible
  2. The front bumper can cross the yellow line but not the front offside wheel
  3. Keep both cone B and the right hand bay entrance cone (both have sticks) on your offside about 1-2 feet from the vehicle’s body
  4. Take a shunt if needed ie you can’t see the cones you expect to see
  5. Get out to check position at the end (only allowed out of cab once)
  6. Dont use accelerator only clutch. (this keeps right foot available for brake if needed)

Peter Smythe:

petermyers wrote:Hi, the cone I hit was the left hand one going into the bay that I was going into

that is the B cone

B cone is the one in the middle - stands on it’s own.

The “left hand one going into the bay” is C cone.

Ironically, I had a candidate fail today as he lined up incorrecty at the start of the exercise and promptly reversed over B cone.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I thought he was referring to going forward and setting up in the start bay - my bad

I failed my test doing the exact same thing hitting the cone, the nerves really did get the better of me not enuf full lock and I reversed a good foot without turning wheel.
During training I nailed the exercise every time.
My drive would have been a pass, I have my re next next Monday fingers crossed.

petermyers:
Hello all,

Many Thanks
Peter Myers

How many hours training are you taking before your re test?I failed my test doing the same thing I had 14 hours training in total. And I have 2 hours before re test

LGV Trainer. How to you apply FULL left hand lock ten apply more left hand lock?

Just saying as could confuse a Newb

LGVTrainer:
As already stated the key is good positioning at the start. As far to the left as possible towards the cone on the nearside. As soon as you start moving backwards apply FULL left hand lock. You should have this on within about 1 foot backwards. Run your front offside wheel parallel to the yellow line about 6 inches inside it.

Once you can see cone B in the offside mirror apply more left hand lock until you see another cone with a stick. This is one of 2 cones marking the bay entrance. Keep both cones on your right hand side about 1-2 feet from the body of the vehicle. You will not be able to see the left bay entrance cone until you are safely in the bay. If you have any doubts about your position take a forward shunt.

*** at this point the wheels will not have full lock applied because they were adjusted to run along the yellow line

hello all and many thanks for the infor, I did not pass my test on the 23rd of sep and went back in for it on the 01-10-2013 and passed no problem…at last! the reason I did not pass the 2nd time was not down to me just another road user just pilled right in front of me and I stopped in a keep clear making and before I moved off my lights went red, do lose it when I got back to the test centre but put it behind me and went right back in a week later and passed no problem.

Peter Myers :smiley:

Well done.
Bloody annoying when somebody else ruins your day eh? Failed my 1st test when I turned right into the path of some wonka in a Jag running a red light.

:smiley: :smiley:

ROG:

:smiley: :smiley:

Thank you and like the photo you sent made me smile