CAT C+E booked advice needed

Anyone have any advice regarding upgrade to class 1,as I am concerned about the reversing and coupling etc /
also do I need to refresh for show me tell me questions etc its been over a year since I did Cat C
would appreciate any constructive advice .I chatted to an experienced class 1 driver recently and he said reversing was easier than in a rigid (Cat C ) :exclamation:

jimuk:
Anyone have any advice regarding upgrade to class 1,as I am concerned about the reversing and coupling etc /
also do I need to refresh for show me tell me questions etc its been over a year since I did Cat C
would appreciate any constructive advice .I chatted to an experienced class 1 driver recently and he said reversing was easier than in a rigid (Cat C ) :exclamation:

My advice is not to panic, and wait and see…
What you need to know is covered in the training, relax and enjoy it! :smiley:

Go team bellend! :grimacing:

Panic not! You will have 2 show me/tell me questions. So yes, revise those if you want. But you’ll be taken through all the checks in detail during your training in any case. Same with the uncoupling/recouple. You will be thoroughly trained and well practiced.

I spend too much time sorting out folk’s problems with these things because they have selected a poor trainer. You haven’t so you don’t need to worry.

Relax, enjoy.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Go for it, it’s fun. I wouldn’t say it’s “easy” but it’s not as hard as you think it is, I can assure you of that!

Good luck!

TheMissus:
Go for it, it’s fun. I wouldn’t say it’s “easy” but it’s not as hard as you think it is, I can assure you of that!

Good luck!

Thanks for the reassuring post just a bit concerned I should be more confident than how I feel.I passed Cat C in sunny August
this time its December!The reversing and coupling always looked the most challenging part.
Thank you for the positive post!

Firstly enjoy your training. The uncouple/couple back up is easy. Just a set procedure and follow all steps and don’t forget your number plate. haahaa. I find the reversing most difficult. I will be doing my re-test in the new year.

Enjoy your training mate. The couple uncouple is a doddle once you get into a set routine. The reverse isn’t as hard as you might think and once your out on the road in a arctic you’ll feel a million dollars.
Good luck

Moonpigdan:
you’ll feel a million dollars

Can I just have the million dollars Dave? :open_mouth:

How you doing pal, not seen you about for a bit…

I’m lurking mr evil :smiley: I haven’t much to offer other than encouragement to folk about to take on the path to driving nirvana. Next August will be my time to look for work and live the dream. Keep safe mate.
:smiley:

Finished my class 1 training Friday, got my test tomorrow at 2.30.
Couple.uncouple as has been said it’s a set procedure and in all honestly not much init to remember.
Reversing was what I was most concerned about but after the first go or so I was doing it without any shunts.

Listen to your trainer, they will most likely give you little tricks to how to do the reverse, things like reference points on the trailer etc.
Don’t know if any other trainer uses it but was told to remember these

UNCOUPLED -
B RAKE
L EGS
E LECTRICS
A IR
K ING PIN
after this sequence then tell examiner you would remove the number plate.

COUPLE

Do a walk round check to ensure trailers roadworthy
Check mot and that mot and vosa plate number match
Then follow sequence
K ING PIN
A IT
E ELECTRICS
L EGS
B RAKE

Lastly attach number plate and ask examiner if he would mind checking your trailer lights with you.

Moonpigdan:
Enjoy your training mate. The couple uncouple is a doddle once you get into a set routine. The reverse isn’t as hard as you might think and once your out on the road in a arctic you’ll feel a million dollars.
Good luck

Thanks for the post and advice I m looking forward to it just want to benefit from those who been there etc
must admit the reverse is the to me the real challenge!!

busby330:
Finished my class 1 training Friday, got my test tomorrow at 2.30.
Couple.uncouple as has been said it’s a set procedure and in all honestly not much init to remember.
Reversing was what I was most concerned about but after the first go or so I was doing it without any shunts.

Listen to your trainer, they will most likely give you little tricks to how to do the reverse, things like reference points on the trailer etc.
Don’t know if any other trainer uses it but was told to remember these

UNCOUPLED -
B RAKE
L EGS
E LECTRICS
A IR
K ING PIN

Hope you passed and got the fireworks etc from ROG
Thanks for the advice above :slight_smile:
COUPLE

Then follow sequence
K ING PIN
A IT
E ELECTRICS
L EGS
B RAKE

Lastly attach number plate and ask examiner if he would mind checking your trailer lights with you.

dingdong:
Firstly enjoy your training. The uncouple/couple back up is easy. Just a set procedure and follow all steps and don’t forget your number plate. haahaa. I find the reversing most difficult. I will be doing my re-test in the new year.

Thanks for the advice etc Best of luck with the re test etc in the new year

UNCOUPLED -
B RAKE
L EGS
E LECTRICS
A IR
K ING PIN

COUPLE

Then follow sequence
K ING PIN
A IR
E ELECTRICS
L EGS
B RAKE

There’s nothing wrong with the above but it is more than is needed for a test. I’ve highlighted the bits that, although absolutely fine and correct, will not affect the outcome of a test. Note that the ONLY item that must be checked on the walk round check is the park brake. Everything else is nice - but just walk round the trailer looking as you go. No need to get on knees checking tyres etc.

Without wishing to cause confusion, split coupling is also perfectly acceptable on test. It’s rarely taught as some trainers don’t seem to understand this. But it can be easier and I encourage it when it will be easier.

But I repeat, there is nothing wrong with the above - just a bit over the top and this is very common. The problem comes with remembering stuff you don’t actually need at the cost of forgetting to check the park brake. Seen it happen. Heartbreaking.

Thanks Pete for this post so basically remember the park break and you re OK
I thought split coupling was frowned on

Forgetting to check the park brake is a fail. Forgetting any of the other stuff wont have any effect on the test. But, as I said, all the other checks are absolutely correct. No problem with split coupling - if done properly.