Cat C assessement

Hi,
Did my cat C assessement drive the other day and the trainer believes I require 4 days (of 4 hours per day 07:00 - 11:00) training followed by the test on Friday morning.
It was my first time stepping in a 7.5tn truck and I must say it is bigger than I expected seeing as I have never even been in a big van never mind a big truck (!) and the car I drive is a Corsa so a little bit of a difference compared to size lol.
The assessment drive was pretty scary as well due to the truck having an 8 speed gear box and me getting confused with it when you need to ‘click up’ for gears 5-8 and ‘click down’ for 1-4 but I suppose I will get used to it the more time I use the gears.
Then got more confused as to why you can pull away in gear 2 or sometimes gear 4 (?!) on a level road (no downhill) - please can someone tell me why this is as I never used gear 1 at all when pulling off in traffic etc, is it part of ‘ECO SAFE DRIVING’ for CPC or something??
The instructor said I did ‘fairly well’ as I listen and take it on board when I make a mistake and he tells me ‘how to do it correctly’ etc.
Overall I feel I just need to get used to the size of the vehicle and get my positioning right at junctions when pulling out so I don’t hit the kurb like I did several times!

Can someone please answer the following questions including the one above, it would be much appreciated;

1 - When coming up to a juntion and turning left or right, is the best postion to be as far away from where your turning (i.e. if turning left, stay as far right as possible) so you make more room for the trailer to prevent hitting the kurb if turning left etc?

2, How do you know when to change gear as at times on my assessment I didn’t here the engine rev at a high pitch like a normal car would and the instructor was telling me to change to the next gear?

3, As above, can someone please advise why you can move off from a higher gear than 1 when on a level road and not facing down hill etc?

4, Last one, what is the best way to judge the size of your vehicle especially when overtaking cyclists? Any tips would be greatfully appreciated, honestly.

I have not done a lot in reversing so can not advising if I will need any questions answering but will ask as people on hear (especially Peter Smyth) as you are very helpful!

Thanks in advance, Charlie

CharlieBoy:
Hi,

1 - When coming up to a juntion and turning left or right, is the best postion to be as far away from where your turning (i.e. if turning left, stay as far right as possible) so you make more room for the trailer to prevent hitting the kurb if turning left etc?
Your trainer will help you with road postioning
2, How do you know when to change gear as at times on my assessment I didn’t here the engine rev at a high pitch like a normal car would and the instructor was telling me to change to the next gear?
You don’t rev a lorry like you do a car, and after a few goes it will come naturally to you
3, As above, can someone please advise why you can move off from a higher gear than 1 when on a level road and not facing down hill etc?
Because a lorry is designed to carry a load so the lower gears would be used if loaded.
4, Last one, what is the best way to judge the size of your vehicle especially when overtaking cyclists? Any tips would be greatfully appreciated, honestly.
Again your instructor will advise you on this

I have not done a lot in reversing so can not advising if I will need any questions answering but will ask as people on hear (especially Peter Smyth) as you are very helpful!

CharlieBoy:
Hi,
Did my cat C assessement drive the other day …

… but will ask as people on hear (especially Peter Smyth) as you are very helpful!

I have to ask the obvious question…
If you value Peter Smythe’s opinions, and you are in Nottingham, did you not consider going to Peter for your assessment? :confused:

OnlyAlan:

CharlieBoy:
Hi,

… but will ask as people on hear (especially Peter Smyth) as you are very helpful!

If you value Peter Smythe’s opinions, and you are in Nottingham, did you not consider going to Peter for your assessment? :confused:

+1

And another point. Do you actually only want 7.5t on your license. You do realise that you can go straight to a full size rigid, don’t you?

Foxstein:

CharlieBoy:
Hi,

Your trainer will help you with road postioning
You don’t rev a lorry like you do a car, and after a few goes it will come naturally to you
Because a lorry is designed to carry a load so the lower gears would be used if loaded.
Again your instructor will advise you on this

Thanks Mate

OnlyAlan:

CharlieBoy:
Hi,

I know a LGV instructor who’s very local (10 mins away) so rather than travelling up to Mansfield where it would be a good 1 hour trip seeing as I live the other side of Nottingham, it would be easier to go to someone more local, hence the above.

dar1976:

OnlyAlan:

CharlieBoy:
Hi,

+1

And another point. Do you actually only want 7.5t on your license. You do realise that you can go straight to a full size rigid, don’t you?

Sorry mate don’t understand, this is the cat C 7.5tn I have to complete before I can do C+E

Either way I am doing both, yes

Cheers, Charlie

hi charlieboy, on QUESTION 1… when you are going to take a left, take a little of the white line on right hand side about 1 foot, always watch for traffic on your right, and watch your tail swing, and watch down your back left for the kerb as u turn, thats a fail on test day, QUESTION 2… when you are starting of you will start in low range which is button down in 3rd 4th gear, and work ur way up the gears try stay in 6th or 7th, when come to juction stay in gear put foot on clutch at juction, traffic lights etc, put handbrake on, and get ready start of 3rd 4th etc and so on, QUESTION 3… as above you start of in higher gear 3rd 4th etc because the cat c lorry you should be in would be empty, you would use 1st 2nd when you have a load on, you will be asked by your trainer to do a hill start which would mean you would be on a hill lol, with ur handbrake on, and in 3rd gear up hill starts are, you would get the bite of the clutch before moven of down hill starts are the same thing only when you are faceing down hill have your handbrake OFF, and foot on pedal, in 5th gear, QUESTION 4… when over takeing cyclists make sure leave bout 2-3 foot gap between them and your lorry, always check your mirrors when passing them, hope this has helped, gud luck m8t with test :wink:

davy1111:
hi charlieboy, on QUESTION 1… when you are going to take a left, take a little of the white line on right hand side about 1 foot, always watch for traffic on your right, and watch your tail swing, and watch down your back left for the kerb as u turn, thats a fail on test day, QUESTION 2… when you are starting of you will start in low range which is button down in 3rd 4th gear, and work ur way up the gears try stay in 6th or 7th, when come to juction stay in gear put foot on clutch at juction, traffic lights etc, put handbrake on, and get ready start of 3rd 4th etc and so on, QUESTION 3… as above you start of in higher gear 3rd 4th etc because the cat c lorry you should be in would be empty, you would use 1st 2nd when you have a load on, you will be asked by your trainer to do a hill start which would mean you would be on a hill lol, with ur handbrake on, and in 3rd gear up hill starts are, you would get the bite of the clutch before moven of down hill starts are the same thing only when you are faceing down hill have your handbrake OFF, and foot on pedal, in 5th gear, QUESTION 4… when over takeing cyclists make sure leave bout 2-3 foot gap between them and your lorry, always check your mirrors when passing them, hope this has helped, gud luck m8t with test :wink:

Thanks Davy - much appreciated

CharlieBoy:

dar1976:

OnlyAlan:

CharlieBoy:
Hi,

+1

Sorry mate don’t understand, this is the cat C 7.5tn I have to complete before I can do C+E

Either way I am doing both, yes

Cheers, Charlie

Cat C1 is 7.5t. Cat C goes right up to 32T

You only need Cat C as a pre-requisite to CE. So make sure you are not being taken for a ride by your trainer and make sure that you are going to be tested for the C category.

Dar. Think of C as a rigid truck rather than a max weight limit. Same as attics being bendies (except buses). Easier to explain :slight_smile:

Please excuse my bewilderment. You go elsewhere for an assessment, come away confused and then come on here and ask for my advice. Please bear in mind that we are the ONLY DSA Accredited LGV training centre in Nottinghamshire. My help and advice is free to all - but I wish you’d come here for an assessment. You don’t find my candidates on here asking such basic questions. This is what you pay your trainer for. Maybe you should give him a call?

Feel free to book an assessment - FOC of course.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Oh and for the record. I know just a little more than ‘Dented’ about Categories and weights.

But just can’t be arsed with arguing about it.

So I wish you well in your training.

But don’t bother coming on here moaning when it all goes wrong.

That for me is it.

Someone in admin please take note… I want my account deactivated as of NOW

dar1976:

Please help this guy, and do as he says … :unamused:

dar1976:
Oh and for the record. I know just a little more than ‘Dented’ about Categories and weights.

But just can’t be arsed with arguing about it.

So I wish you well in your training.

But don’t bother coming on here moaning when it all goes wrong.

That for me is it.

They won’t do that.

Anyway, everything else has been said here that needs to be said.

dar1976:
Oh and for the record. I know just a little more than ‘Dented’ about Categories

m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationContr … 1203231725

Take a look at the link. There’s no upper weight limit for rigids, it’s goods vehicles over 7.5T towing a trailer up to 750kg. Dented is right.

dar1976:

Crikey! Dummy and spat spring to mind.

[quote=“dar1976”
Someone in admin please take note… I want my account deactivated as of NOW[/quote]
What’s this about Dean?
Alan

Bit OTT isnt it Dean :open_mouth: Bad day on the buses or what :confused:

Why is there no option to deactivate your own account.

I was told that 2 axles had a limit of 18t, 3 axles - 26t, 4 axles - 32t on a rigid vehicle.

Oh well. Crap advice from me then.

As you were.

End of my contributions :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Hey I got to drive a 6 axle crane on my c license for the agency and that was way over 32t!

Bit slow thou :astonished: