Cat C advice please

Ok guys,

I finally managed to cement my booking with a training company today so went and paid my deposit,
training starts Monday 26 until Friday 30 October, 4 hour slots ending with the test on the Friday afternoon, and to top it off I have my module 2 test on the Wednesday morning as well.

So in light of my newly booked training can anyone give me a few tips on what to expect etc, really hoping this goes well as I have mod 4 booked for November the 5th then want to crack on with C+E asap.

thats how i had mine with the cpc on the wed morning.

slow smooth gear changes - dont rush them.

when reversing into the box, dont try and go straight with the cones on either side as you can see in the mirror as youll be squint. as someone said to me on here a few weeks back when i had the problem, if you look down a railway track it appears to narrow but its an illusion. you want to have an equal sized “wedge” either side of the truck if that makes sense.

You should get the info you need from the link in my signature below

staningrimsby:
Ok guys,

I finally managed to cement my booking with a training company today so went and paid my deposit,
training starts Monday 26 until Friday 30 October, 4 hour slots ending with the test on the Friday afternoon, and to top it off I have my module 2 test on the Wednesday morning as well.

So in light of my newly booked training can anyone give me a few tips on what to expect etc, really hoping this goes well as I have mod 4 booked for November the 5th then want to crack on with C+E asap.

All the best with it all.

My advice is whilst training stay of this forum and trust your trainer.

Paul :smiley:

You will be living in your mirrors. Mirrors mirrors mirrors! I thought I checked my car mirrors plenty whilst driving until I did the training.

Adjust your rear view mirror in your car so you can’t use it any more and get used to checking your nearside, offside, blind spot (or what would be your blind spot in a truck) every single time you start moving (nob off is easy to remember - nearside, offside, blind spot - off you go).

Then get used to checking your mirrors everytime you accelerate, brake, change gear, steer etc.

Even when going along an empty straight dual carriageway your examiner will expect you to be looking in your mirrors every 5 seconds or so.

Start practicing now so it is second nature. Its hard to do at first because you’re so busy concentrating on just driving the bloody truck that you forget the mirrors or you’re so busy concentrating on the mirrors you don’t see the red light, cyclist, roundabout etc.

Other than that just try and relax and enjoy.

The best tip my instructor gave was on test day and that was to imagine the examiner was an instructor who was standing in for the day and you just needed to show him what you had learned so far.

Other than that enjoy, it’s good fun. Oh and mirrors…

danthetrucker:
you’re so busy concentrating on the mirrors you don’t see the red light, cyclist, roundabout etc.

this!! i felt like i was watching mirrors more than what was happening infront of me and so did my fellow trainee

elniniol999:

danthetrucker:
you’re so busy concentrating on the mirrors you don’t see the red light, cyclist, roundabout etc.

this!! i felt like i was watching mirrors more than what was happening infront of me and so did my fellow trainee

It gets easier, when you pass you only need a quick glance rather than completely turning your head to look.

Cheers guys,

I’m also a biker so do use my mirrors quite a lot, kind of hoping that the truck is an auto at least that will ease a little messing about with the gearbox :smiley:

Not looking forward to the reverse though, but I’m sure it will be more straight forward once I have been shown.

staningrimsby:

Ash 001 did a good diary of the training mate.

Best of luck! :smiley:

Hi,

Good luck with the course.

As others have mentioned, read and inwardly digest Rog’s info.
Also, scan back through the last 2 pages worth of topics on this section of the forum.
If there is nothing relevent to something you specifically need help with, then use the search function at the top right of the forum.
Failing that, post a new topic and ask away.

If you are a glutton for punishment and fancy an account of my C training, check out the link in my sig. :sunglasses:

Jon