Cat 2 training..... how many hours?

Hiya guys, wonder if I could get your opinions on the length of training needed to pass class 2. I’ve been booked in for 14 hours of training over 4 days. I know this obviously depends on my ability but it does feel like it’s the bare minimum, even though I was assured it would be plenty. While looking at other places I have seen suggested that training should take between 16,18,20 hours inclusive of test. I would of course appreciate any feedback regarding your experiences.

I had 14 it’s plenty of time mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks For sharing your experience mate, I’m seeing others passing on their fourth attempt and doubting 14 hours being adequate but then again I’m a self proclaimed decent driver :slight_smile:

Yeah I i passed on the 4th, fails where not down to a lack of training just me being a muppet, 14-20 seems the typical amount could be a good idea to speak to a training school and have an assessment drive and they can often have a good idea

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

I’m all booked in mate with a very reputable, well known school. I’m sure it will all be good but as I’m only doing a few hours each day then having a break over the weekend before my test I was a little worried by having the minimum hours. With retests taking so long at the moment I didn’t want to be short of a few hours training to make it over the line. Fingers crossed all will go well. To be fair I’m reasonably confident but was really just looking for reassurance that this was a typical amount of time.

Loads of views but not so much feedback yet guys… it’s clearly something we all taking on training have an interest in. Does anyone have any other personal experience on how long their training took. No need for big reply’s if you haven’t all got the time, just a number from as many as possible I’m sure would set a lot of our minds at rest… appreciate your time :slight_smile:

Trucker Jimbob:
Loads of views but not so much feedback yet guys… it’s clearly something we all taking on training have an interest in. Does anyone have any other personal experience on how long their training took. No need for big reply’s if you haven’t all got the time, just a number from as many as possible I’m sure would set a lot of our minds at rest… appreciate your time :slight_smile:

While I have had more than 14 hours, it has been due to refresh practice sessions, which I booked in to make myself feel better and had quite a wait due to lockdowns, the orginal course was a 14 hour but due to the November lockdown my test was on the 5th, so I had the day before and training on the day of test cancelled so I had time before the test when it could be booked in. So had 6 weeks wait a day of training then an early test the day after.

Even with the split training times the end of day practice I was nervous for my test, but felt confident I knew what I was doing. So yes I failed my first test then but It was because I made a bad manoeuvre on my last pull over to the left, the 4 I did beforehand where all good, my examiner said to pull over on the left… and I pulled over too quickly I saw a parked car and went in behind it something in my Brian said to me that there’s where she had wanted me todo it and the words in the debrief where you threw it all away in a moment of madness.

So yes personally I think the 14 hours is enough to pass the test, but if you want another few hours in go for it while 14 is enough to teach you to pass it might not for everyone be enough to make you think you are ready and going into the test worrying too much will make it a lot harder

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Not sure why people get hung up on the amount of hors training required.

You already know how to drive to a test standard as you did it in a car.

The difference is getting used to a larger vehicle and how it handles and turns etc. Also coupling an artic and daily checks etc.

If you are with a reputable school they should be able to train within the amount of hours that is normal.

Any reputable trainer shouldn’t put you in for your test if your not ready for it, and should suggest more training if your not ready.

The biggest obstacle to overcome is your own confidence and ironing out bad habits of which we all have many after passing a test, anyone who says otherwise is a liar. We all get into bad habits from time to time.

The industry have a set training period which works very well for most people as far as I can tell.

Also overcoming nerves if you suffer is again another of the biggest stumbling block.

I passed my C in 2003 and didn’t do my C+E til 2016. Admittedly I shunted in the yard for about a year and half before hand so got used to dragging trailers around and reversing so maybe that made it a fair but easier for me.

But on after day one my trainer said there was absolutely no reason I shouldn’t have been able to pass the test starlight away, bar ironing out bad habits etc.

It’s just another test and learning some new additional skills when all said and done.

PSTT offer a pass plus protection that’s allows up to 3 retests but again not all providers do this. A lot comes down the the provider you choose and your own limitations.

When I was a LGV instructor back in the early 2000s this was standard …
2 to 1 all day for 5 days with test on day 5 so for the first 4 days each trainee had 3.5 hours each which is 14 hours before test day
My 1st time pass rate was above the average so that amount of hours worked for the majority

The company I used took me out for a 30 mins assessment drive and told me I needed 10 hrs.
I was driving 7.5t already and had been for years.
I ■■■■■■ the test. 2 minors.
They know what they’re doing after an assessment to be fair.
Any company not doing an assessment first is guessing in my opinion and tend to go over to be safe, with the increased cost this entails.
Good luck with your training and test mate.

I appreciate the feedback guys, the reason I’m potentially getting “caught up” on the amount of training is well for one it doesn’t come cheap, tests are hard to come by and I’m travelling a couple of hours away from home specifically to go to a particular trainer. Either way as I have gone with PSTT I certainly don’t doubt for a minute they know what they are doing and I have absolute faith all will go well… to be honest like I have said previously this is more about getting reassurance and to hear Direct from the horses mouth so to speak on others experiences… can’t wait to get started now :slight_smile:

I’m sure you will be fine. Just remember to take notice and enjoy it as much as you can. Even if you did end up failing don’t take it to heart just regroup and look forward. They have a great team there and will do everything they can to give you the tools you need to pass. The rest is then down to you on test day.

No one can predict how it will go on test day, and always remember it can be someone else’s mistake that costs you on test day, it’s how you react to such situations that will be the deal breaker. I. E reacting to it and avoiding the situation or not reacting to it at all.

Get stuff in you head as much as you can, mirror checks, blind spot checks etc

A really good instructor for 10 hours is better than a not so good instructor for 20 hours

You will be absolutely fine with 14 hours. I once had an amazing driver and his company put him in for 18 hours. It was far too long, he started to make silly mistakes towards the end of the training. This caused self doubt and he failed his first test because he went into panic mode. Just listen to Nick and believe in yourself and you will be amazed how quickly you pick it up. Looking forward to seeing you :smiley:

Thanks Paul, yeah I’m sure it will all go great…with all the lockdowns and delays etc it’s been a long time in the making so wanna make sure I’m giving myself the best chances possible :slight_smile: I will be giving the office a call on Tuesday and it would be good to talk with you about completing the final part of my mod 4. I managed to get the third part completed without a glitch the other day so one step closer. I’m looking forward to meeting all you guys too :slight_smile:

Confusing myself haha, by third part I mean the case study side of it lol … practical and walk around part left to go

I did mine over 2 days, 7 hrs each - with several cig breaks for the instructor as I was cornering on three wheels :sunglasses: and test on the morning of the 3rd day - passed with 1 minor and drove home along the motorway saying - I can drive that, and that and that.

Cramming might not be the best for everyone, it depends on how you take it all on board. Take your time, enjoy life in the slow lane, read road signs, and take your time! Safe progress on all wheels is needed :wink:

I completed my 2 days with PSTT.