Casual Working direct

Hi, does anyone have any tips or info?

Ive been forced into going LTD company and its not to my liking. I preferred it when I was sole trader and did all my own books and VAT. The agencies I have dealt with for years have now said they will not use sole traders, so Im thinking of knocking on a few doors and trying to get my own work.
Invoicing, accounts and VAT returns do not bother me, I am ok with those aspects.
I believe some of you guys on here already go direct and was curious to know how you get on.

Thanks

Water tight terms of business required which you get each client to sign. I’ve posted the ones I used on here.

Approach the companies you used to drive for on agency who you used to go to a lot and who thought you did a good job to get started with. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO APPROACH THE LARGE BLUE CHIP COMPANIES IF YOU’VE DRIVEN FOR THEM. Too many think that only small local hauliers will be interested. Offer them a rate a couple of quid an hour above what the agency was paying you. Makes you about 10-15% cheaper than the agencies are.

Bank as much money as you can out of the invoices you get paid for the first 6 months. You’ll find many of your customers are on 60 day payment terms or more, especially the bigger companes and especially when they’re doing their year end. It helps if you’ve enough money to live on for 2 months with no other income coming in when you start. Once the invoices start rolling in then you’re fine, its just surviving until that first invoice gets paid.

Thanks Connor. I had dis- counted the bigger firms for the reasons you state. I will approach them based on what you say. After all they can only say no.

That’s the spirit. Biggest company I had as one of my clients was Arla Foods. They have over 20 sites and 18000 employees. Excellent payers other than year end when they’d be a couple of weeks late and the fact it was on 60 day payment after receipt of invoice.