CARS AND ROUNDABOUTS

But albion, they could be waiting all day if they can’t gently cut them up ( in your words). Do agree about blatant cutting up tho.

Good post Juddian,like a lot of what we do day to day it’s just “common sense” very often on my way home from work in my little van I “close the door” on a roundabout to stop the BMW&AUDI drivers trying to squeeze past, get the horn,headlights & coffee beans as thanks but think to myself well just saved another idiot from themselves!

Oh forgot about this one,seems to be a feature in the Londonistan area do not indicate your intentions on a roundabout keep 'em guessing!!

Muckaway:
What about when you pull onto a clear roundabout, start to go around when some teararse shoots up behind and blws on their horn because you have made them brake?
People who try and drive as fast as possible around roundabouts ■■■■ me off. All they do is stop other vehicles getting on. Drive steady around and watch a vehicle from most entry points manage to get on.
Oh and busy roundabouts don’t mix with MAN auto 'boxes.
:blush: :imp:

You back with Smiths?

Serious question folks…

You’re driving your truck, approaching a roundabout. You intend to drive straight ahead.

(I’m sure people have already formed the scenario I’m about to describe in their head because it seems to happen so often!)

Car coming from the opposite direction (currently other side of roundabout to you, coming towards you), no indication, positioned to go straight ahead.

Being a truck driver, you like to preserve your inertia to save time and fuel, so you continue ahead at circa 20-30 MPH. You then either strike the car, or the car strikes you because it is in fact turning right, despite no indication.

1. It is your fault. The car failed to indicate, but whatever the other circumstances, the highway code states you give way to traffic already on the roundabout. End of story.

or

1. It is the car drivers fault due no indication

or

1. Likely to go to court and be determined based on the specifics of the incident.

Anybody have any direct experience of this? I get annoyed but not angry at car drivers, because somebody once told me that the older generation were taught only to indicate OFF of a roundabout, i.e. the whole idea of a roundabout is you go round it and indicate off?

Obviously these days you are taught what I consider to be the correct way… Any thoughts?

Javiatrix, unless you’ve managed to nick Mystic Megs crystal ball there is no way to know where mr and mrs numpty are going, you can try to judge by their road positioning their likely route but if they’re too stupid to indicate their intentions with up to 44 tons of no crumple zoned steel approaching then there’s not much hope they know how to drive well, and they are likely to not live long and prosper carrying on like that.

After too many years driving other peoples cars (and some lorry licence holders are just as bad) for them i’ve finally given up, they’ve beaten me down at last, if they can’t be bothered to indicate and having lined themselves up for going straight on suddenly turn right with no indication or slight clue to their intent then tough, if they can’t see the trailer that they will be stopping at one way or another, again tough.

Its the same as when they are coming up slip roads with 200+hp on tap in their 1300kg car, there you are in your 44 tonner shiny bright and clean, lit up like Blackpool illuminations if its even slightly murky and the twerps still can’t manage to see you, if they do see you it doesn’t enter their empty heads to adjust speed accordingly to get out in front of you at a higher speed than you and bugger off (as any one of us would do), Heaven forbid they might have to slot in behind you if all lanes are chocka and you simply can’t get in the middle lane to help them out of their driving incompetence.

OH NO matey, we have to run alongside the lorry till the slip road ends waiting for Merlin the Bloody Magician lorry pilot to wave his magic wand and all traffic disappears, when it doesn’t happen and you’ve been bad enough to not stand on the brakes to let 'em out they go into a frenzy of sheer hatred, likely to (having at last found the bloody throttle pedal) to come tearing past you with acceleration to make Lewis Hamilton jealous shaking with rage and making all sorts of gestures, then dive in front and in their half wit state think they can carve a bloody fully freighted artic up…if it wasn’t so tragic and sad to witness these simpletons it would be hilarious.

The funny thing is i’m sure i’m not alone in bending over backwards to help another driver out, whatever the vehicle, if they show at least some awareness and competence at what they are about to do.

Invariably in the slip road scenario, the proper car driver will have accelerated and slipped out in front of you causing no inconvenience to anyone…as they slip out if the middle lane is clear before their field of vision is clear i’ll give them a quick flash and away they go, a cheery wave or flash of indicators thanks and you don’t see 'em for dust…why can’t more drivers enter slip roads like that.

and breathe… :neutral_face:

Obviously these days you are taught what I consider to be the correct way… Any thoughts?

Who ever told you that people were taught only to signal off roundabouts was talking nonsense.
The highway code has never changed the way drivers should signal on roundabouts.
It is just drivers that do that.They must either forget or cannot be bothered.

mickyblue:

Muckaway:
What about when you pull onto a clear roundabout, start to go around when some teararse shoots up behind and blws on their horn because you have made them brake?
People who try and drive as fast as possible around roundabouts ■■■■ me off. All they do is stop other vehicles getting on. Drive steady around and watch a vehicle from most entry points manage to get on.
Oh and busy roundabouts don’t mix with MAN auto 'boxes.
:blush: :imp:

You back with Smiths?

No mate, with their rival. But would happily drive a Foden over a MAN.

Juddian:
Javiatrix, unless you’ve managed to nick Mystic Megs crystal ball … Snip…|

Juddian you have just saved me a lot of one finger typing as your post is spot on and pretty much word for word what I’d have posted. So that’s a yes from me! :smiley:

the maoster:

Juddian:
Javiatrix, unless you’ve managed to nick Mystic Megs crystal ball … Snip…|

Juddian you have just saved me a lot of one finger typing as your post is spot on and pretty much word for word what I’d have posted. So that’s a yes from me! :smiley:

Glad to have been of some small use then… :smiley:

Javiatrix:
Serious question folks…

You’re driving your truck, approaching a roundabout. You intend to drive straight ahead.

(I’m sure people have already formed the scenario I’m about to describe in their head because it seems to happen so often!)

Car coming from the opposite direction (currently other side of roundabout to you, coming towards you), no indication, positioned to go straight ahead.

Being a truck driver, you like to preserve your inertia to save time and fuel, so you continue ahead at circa 20-30 MPH. You then either strike the car, or the car strikes you because it is in fact turning right, despite no indication.

1. It is your fault. The car failed to indicate, but whatever the other circumstances, the highway code states you give way to traffic already on the roundabout. End of story.

or

1. It is the car drivers fault due no indication

or

1. Likely to go to court and be determined based on the specifics of the incident.

Anybody have any direct experience of this? I get annoyed but not angry at car drivers, because somebody once told me that the older generation were taught only to indicate OFF of a roundabout, i.e. the whole idea of a roundabout is you go round it and indicate off?

I pull out in front of anyone who hasn’t indicated their intentions on a roundabout, they hit my trailer I ain’t gonna feel it pfft…

Rhythm Thief:
And let’s not get into roundabouts with 24 hour traffic lights on them. What’s the point of a roundabout if you’re going to stick traffic lights up every ten yards?

Prefer to have traffic lights on a roundabout than more chuffin roundabouts on a roundabout! mutter, grumble…plough…magic roundabout…sigh :open_mouth: