Cars and Roundabouts

Anybody else get really hacked off with cars on roundabouts? I can’t count the amount of times I have pulled out onto a large roundabout that has been clear, only to have some little ■■■ in a BMW or similar come around it on two wheels, tooting their horn as if I am in the wrong for not moving off at warp factor ten.

My fully loaded twin-pack dustcart weighs in at about 28 tonnes, and with an automatic gearbox moves about as rapidly as a geriatric slug. Car drivers definitely need to be educated about the fact that a truck does not accelerate like the roller skate they are punting around in :imp:

another pet hate of mine,trouble is,now i find myself stopping the truck dead,getting out,and going to the window to offer the offending person the chance to apologise before i pull their head off.anger management needed i think. :smiley:

On a slightly different subject, I was on the m4 last week and a car was behind me trying to overtake, I was going flat out at 56mph, there was a van by the side of the car preventing him from pulling out, when he did eventually get out and passed he started beeping and giving me abuse for not going faster :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: These car drivers have no clue how a truck operates on the road.

Yep one of my pet hates too, along with cars who pull out in front of you, fine if they speed off but the ones that dither boil my pee, if i have enough speed, am running empty and theres enough room i’ll blast past em and laugh as they cack themselves :laughing:

Also the morons who are in the wrong lanes on a multi lane roundabout and dont move into the correct lane as they go round. For example the roundbout where you come off the A13 from Dagenham to get on the M25 to the dartford crossing, the outer lane clearly says A13 lakeside yet they still come round and stick to the middle lane, so any lorries or cars in the correct lane have to force their way in even though theyre in the right :unamused:

have you noticed how many cars cannot “stick” to the lane going round a roundabout,and cut in?

Ragnarok:
Anybody else get really hacked off with cars on roundabouts?

My fully loaded twin-pack dustcart weighs in at about 28 tonnes, and with an automatic gearbox moves about as rapidly as a geriatric slug. Car drivers definitely need to be educated about the fact that a truck does not accelerate like the roller skate they are punting around in :imp:

I find that a bloody big, heavy, truck pulls away at the perfect speed. :smiling_imp:
It’s the car drivers problem, if they can’t negotiate a roundabout in a sensible manner. :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

I too have stopped on a roundabout, to explain the error of there ways, to horn blasting car drivers. Particularly if they don’t have working indicators.

buck73:
have you noticed how many cars cannot “stick” to the lane going round a roundabout,and cut in?

Yep, most seem to do it automatically these days without even realising there could be a car or truck alongside them, blast of the horn usually startles em :laughing:

Makes me laugh when im going around a roundabout leaving plenty of space for the car alongside me and you suddenly see them slam on their brakes because they think your going to cut in and squash them, even though your miles apart :confused:

Once upon a time lane markings on roundabouts consisted of concentric circles making them easy to negotiate.Someone had the bright idea of changing to a spiral layout ,I presume with the idea of easing traffic flow,but there are many I know,Switch Island springs to mind,that if you follow the marked route it takes you right across someone else’s path.

Anyone enjoy the car drivers who bomb past you on the M/Way and suddenly realise theyre slip is about 50yds away so they decide to jump in front of you and bang the brakes on instead of just slowing down and pulling in behind you■■?

buck73:

Yes I have! Its usually the “gotta get past the lorry brigade” Never mind if they lose their boot lid on yer front bumper. :unamused:

I wonder how many car instructors actually get their pupils to stand near various busy roundabouts and tell them to observe how different vehicles negotiate it (lane discipline) as well as noticing the correct use of indicators - don’t cost much to stand and observe for a while if done in own time…

Grayham:
the morons who are in the wrong lanes on a multi lane roundabout and don’t move into the correct lane as they go round. For example the roundabout where you come off the A13 from Dagenham to get on the M25 to the dartford crossing, the outer lane clearly says A13 lakeside yet they still come round and stick to the middle lane, so any lorries or cars in the correct lane have to force their way in even though they’re in the right

M66 onto the M60/62 is another one of those where am i going junctions and they even painted the road 2 different colours to make it easier for them but no they still get lost. The other hate’s i have are the bugger’s that just can’t wait and come around the front and turn left in front of you , you know the scenario your trying to get onto the doughnut when hey presto gap in the traffic and i may even fit in that one so off you set just to have some ■■■■ in a VW 3series A4 type thing come steaming out next to you and turn left causing you to hit the brakes and lose your chance. Also it’s the others who think its a race track chicane and straighten all the curves and go for the race line kissing the perfect apex and off up the road like schumacher with a rocket up his arrse wondering what the hell was your problem didn’t you see how good i took that series of bends while avoiding that great big dirty truck having an accident with the barrier. To be honest the last ones i always take their mirrors off if i get the chance :unamused: )

scottishcruiser:
Anyone enjoy the car drivers who bomb past you on the M/Way and suddenly realise theyre slip is about 50yds away so they decide to jump in front of you and bang the brakes on instead of just slowing down and pulling in behind you■■?

I absolutely hate this. It happens to me at least twice on every journey I’m on. Time and time and time again it happens and it never ceases to amaze me.

Why would anyone willingly put themselves in front of a lorry of any size that’s travelling at speed and then proceed to slam-on? Why? How does that form as a reasonable course of action in anyone’s mind?! One day they’ll do it and the driver of the lorry will be distracted by something else and will totally miss what’s happening in front of him/her and will punt the silly sod of a car driver off the road and it will be their own fault.

When I was doing my class 2 training last year, on my very first time out in a lorry I was driving through Doncaster on a dual carriageway with a speed limit of about 40MPH, I think it was. We were just passing a petrol station to our left; a woman in a small car (some hatchback; I forget now what) overtook us and then immediately dived into the petrol station. What she’d failed to spot was the horrendous queue snaking back to the forecourt entrance. This left her with over half of her car jutting out BANG in front of me. I’d been checking my offside mirror so I knew the outside lane was clear so I veered into it. If it hadn’t been and I’d had to brake then I’d have gone clean into her. My instructor was a very quiet, mild character but he exploded with anger and disbelief at her. To do that to ANY lorry is bad enough but to one clearly marked-up as a training vehicle was just madness. It was my first time out in one; biggest thing I’d been in previously was a LWB Sprinter and here I am in an 18 tonner and she went and did that!

My instructor told me that once I’d passed and was driving on my own, I’d encounter this sort of thing all the time. He wasn’t kidding. Why can’t people just wait? Just sit behind me and wait. Ten seconds on your journey is nothing compared to what we’ll all have to go through if you do something stupid and I end up taking you off the road as a result. :angry:

Roundabouts are indeed a nightmare at times. I had a cretin in a Vectra try bullying his way in front of me at Tinsley Roundabout here in Sheffield the other day. He was in totally the wrong lane and tried just nosing through at the last second. A good blast of the horn did indeed put him off. If he’d have pulled ahead of me way before the exit we needed and indicated and politely waited I’d have let him in but I’m not going to allow him to wait until the very last second and force his way through; he’d have clipped me anyway with how close he was to me.

Late last year I had someone in a silver car (it happened so fast I didn’t get chance to register what sort of car it was!) cut RIGHT in front of me as I was on that roundabout just passing the M1S exit. I mean, RIGHT in front of me. Slammed-on and sounded the horn then looked to my left to see the car bouncing up the kerb as he tried to get up the slip-road. He’d obviously left it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too late. Why not just go round again? Why risk being hit by a lorry and being bounced over the bloody roundabout? What goes through the heads of these people?

We all make mistakes but goodness me, some people do the most dangerous and reckless things. :neutral_face: :angry:

Sorry, I’ll stop ranting now. :blush:

scottishcruiser:

OOH M5 north jn 16 - 15 is good for that they have a shunt every evening there

ROG:
I wonder how many car instructors actually get their pupils to stand near various busy roundabouts and tell them to observe how different vehicles negotiate it (lane discipline) as well as noticing the correct use of indicators - don’t cost much to stand and observe for a while if done in own time…

Yep do that regularly Rog, but it opens a can of worns, Student ask why are you teaching me different to everyone else?
Why is it only learners and police drivers observe lane discipline and check nearside mirror before giving exit signals? Why don’t other drivers signal left to take 1st exit of mini-roundabouts?
Why do’es the DSA NOT want us to signal our exit when taking 2nd exit at light controlled roundabouts, but do require us to signal exit if taking 2nd exit in offside lane?
Well lets discuss that next lesson when you have paid your next £33.

One of my pet hates just now, and it seems to be on the increase, is indicating right for going straight on, taking the first or second exit.

No indicator required, just indicate left to show you are taking exit. :imp: :imp: :imp:

Deathstar:
Once upon a time lane markings on roundabouts consisted of concentric circles making them easy to negotiate.Someone had the bright idea of changing to a spiral layout ,I presume with the idea of easing traffic flow,but there are many I know,Switch Island springs to mind,that if you follow the marked route it takes you right across someone else’s path.

If you enter the roundabout in the correct lane, and follow the lane markings (spiral style I imagine) to the appropriate exit, how do the markings take you across someones path ?
Unless they didn’t enter the roundabout in the correct lane or follow the lane markings.

I had an idiot in an Audi convertable in Cardiff who came up the slip road yapping on his phone. He pulled straight out in front of me onto the dual carriageway. I had to pull out to the outside lane, so as he had the hood down as I got alongside I gave him a toot :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Nice horns on Daf CFs. I probably deafened the person on the other end too :smiley: :smiley:

A good one for the spiral thing is the A45/m52 junction at the NEC. I often come up the 42 to turn right on to the A45 and these days i avoid looking in my nearside mirror as i pass the M42 exit because there is usually a car trying to occupy the same space as my truck.

havn’t hit anyone yet but must have frightened a good few. :laughing:

if cars dont indicate right, tough now, because if they dont i will pull out as far a as know they are going straight ahead and i have even been known to do it to a fellow trucker so if om a roundabout and you come from my straight ahead and are too lazy to indercate right well lookout
hope that makes sense?