Carry bricks right way to fasten down

does anyone know how to hold these loads down right.as one of our drivers pulled a load out of hamilton area straped the first row then every 3rd one till he got to the back row and put the strap over twice.then set off got half mile on the m74 and was pulled by the police who sad it was not safe to travel like that and it was inscure load and gave hima fix penlty and £60 fine.he went to court over it to try and get of with it but still got the 3 pionts and a £50 instead.
now i have see brick wagons with nets and sheets and some even just strap the back and some do not even use anything at all.personally i use the full length fly sheet i have on the back of the cab.
so what is the right way to carry loads like these as if u a strap it is only pully on the 1 or 2 bricks on top and the 1s below them but none of the others.they also told the driver they had stopped a driver with bulk bags on with just 1 rope crossed over the 2 back bags but nothing on the 8 bags on the top.
so if loading ot of hamilton area look out as the cops are on the look out for loads that are not sucured right

So you have paid a fine on the strength of a policeman saying that it was insecure in his opinion. :unamused:

Wheel Nut:
So you have paid a fine on the strength of a policeman saying that it was insecure in his opinion. :unamused:

I agree with the sentiment Wheel Nut.

Does anyone have any experience of anything like this? I assume that the policeman would make you re-secure the load before you can carry on.

BUT if you wanted to appeal then you would need to get the load checked in its current state by someone better qualified in load security than the policeman and yourself…
So do you call for such person to come to the scene (assuming you know one), or take photographs for later examination?
Or ask the copper to get someone from a commercial vehicle unit to come and take a look at it, which I would imagine would ■■■■ him off greatly - especially if he is from the CVU!

Genuinely interested in what people think the best course of action is.

Alex

Basically when it comes to the law and HGVs, the coppers don’t have a clue. I’ve argued the toss about everything from drivers hours to tyre tread depth with them. I’ve yet to have lost one.

I used to work out of a quarry in Essex carrying 1ton bags of sand, ballast, etc to builders merchants, trailers were ex tilts with ally sides, always used to have 6 - 8 bags on top with no straps or ropes and never had any probs with police / vosa etc, some trailers didnt even have sides and only put rope / strap round last 2 bags, never a problem

A lot of the brick carrying trucks in my area usually have netting and straps over the load.
I’ve been told by a few of them that this is required for H&S purposes - whether that is law, I do not know.

Seen a few using netting and ropes with rubber pads between where the ropes and bricks meet.

H&S is the law duty of care etc

it is very rare to see bricks and blocks secured safley even the mob who strap each shrink wrapped pack usually leave a gap in middle for load to move into
dunno how many g it would take

i think we need to contact someone at MIRA

hitch:

it is very rare to see bricks and blocks secured safley even the mob who strap each shrink wrapped pack usually leave a gap in middle for load to move into

There have been tests carried out, and were shown on a video as part of a Corus steel loading training course.
It’s no surprise as to how far and how fast these bricks/blocks covered in just a net will move off the side of a truck.
Scary.

thunder367:
does anyone know how to hold these loads down right.as one of our drivers pulled a load out of hamilton area straped the first row then every 3rd one till he got to the back row and put the strap over twice.then set off got half mile on the m74 and was pulled by the police who sad it was not safe to travel like that and it was inscure load and gave hima fix penlty and £60 fine.he went to court over it to try and get of with it but still got the 3 pionts and a £50 instead.
now i have see brick wagons with nets and sheets and some even just strap the back and some do not even use anything at all.personally i use the full length fly sheet i have on the back of the cab.
so what is the right way to carry loads like these as if u a strap it is only pully on the 1 or 2 bricks on top and the 1s below them but none of the others.

I’ve carried blocks and before they would release the paperwork, the load restraints were checked by the yard foreman. We had corner pieces under the straps, so the whole pack was under restraint. Lengthen the corner piece, and you can secure two packs with one strap.

they also told the driver they had stopped a driver with bulk bags on with just 1 rope crossed over the 2 back bags but nothing on the 8 bags on the top.
so if loading ot of hamilton area look out as the cops are on the look out for loads that are not sucured right

And so they should be. Anybody who carries an insecure load wants locking up.

I keep hearing about shed loads on the radio traffic news. Perhaps they are brick sheds.

Carried bricks ,blocks and roofing tiles for 17 years on an artic without any problems , using a net ,corner boards and ropes. Remember one of the guys at Frank Tucker ( Westbrick ) contract getting done for inscure load by having a couple of loose bricks inside the net bouncing about.

Kate got it INSECURE LOAD says what it means!!! Your licence, your points!! Hi WHEEL NUT police check insbruck 100 EUROS fine, 24 pallets -11 straps. Should have been twelve straps, no argument, load in taut liner :imp:

hitch:

The gap in the middle is so that they can be off loaded with a block grab.
:unamused:

Used to rope bricks and blocks but a few years ago the concrete block association did some tests which concluded ropes and nets were really not up to the job. I was working for Canutes at the time and as soon as this came out we changed over to straps. Having said that it really does come down to the driver to minimise the risks with your driving style.

The gap in the middle is usually filled by a wooden wedge (that looks like a cut down pallet) that stops the packs moving inwards.

the few times Ive shifted bricks and blocks Ive strapped them down with the angle iron running along the tops of the packs and got the straps as tight as I could, and then netted it ,havent lost any yet.

seen a few places that dont bother with anything over them especially builders merchants wagons

i carry bricks blocks tiles all the time and the way i look at it is its beta to spend an extra ten mins in the yard securing the load properly i guess its down to the driver but im amazed at how many bick block waggons i see going up the road without any thing securing the load i guess times more important than saftey for them.

The gap in the middle is so that they can be off loaded with a block grab.
:unamused:

[/quote]

The bit in the middle is filled with a bit of wood so the load does not move around.
We have sides on our Trucks, if it is concrete blocks or bricks these are never strapped down, but if it’s thermalite blocks then these, if above the sides are strapped down and that is each pallet/pack.
I’ll see if I can get a picture of a Thermalite load next week.

gringo:
Kate got it INSECURE LOAD says what it means!!! Your licence, your points!! Hi WHEEL NUT police check insbruck 100 EUROS fine, 24 pallets -11 straps. Should have been twelve straps, no argument, load in taut liner :imp:

If you read Brit Petes Euro tips you will find there are laws in Europe which can be enforced, although the consignor is liable as well as the driver, there is a big difference between the German and Austrian Police and the plod in Hamilton.

An insecure load is one that has fallen off the truck or moved to cause a hazard. If you read any of my posts about load security you will find that I dont condone using pvc and gravity to fasten a load on a trailer.

I do however object strongly to someone with no training, following in a car and fining me for either an insecure load or going round a roundabout a bit fast

veeboards.com/images/products/bg24_3.jpg

I guess thats the way to do it.