Carpol tunnel

Anybody ever had this was at hospital this morning and told i need an operation asap.Just asking if anybody whos had it had any bother after the op.

Been told i will be off work 3-4weeks and no driving for 10-14days but dont really know what to expect.It does make me wonder should i have gone to the doctor sooner instead of leaving it for so long.

Chap I know had/has it and years after the op still has pains from it especially in the cold months,he explains it as like an arthritis pain and constantly wears a support bandage on the hand/wrist.
His originated from a job he used to do which caused it and put a claim in against the company for what is a repetitive strain injury.

xichrisxi:
Chap I know had/has it and years after the op still has pains from it especially in the cold months,he explains it as like an arthritis pain and constantly wears a support bandage on the hand/wrist.
His originated from a job he used to do which caused it and put a claim in against the company for what is a repetitive strain injury.

Does not sound good lets hope it settles down but i do agree when its cold your hand and wrist does hurt.

From what I know about it they cut the Ligament as per image below.

carpel.png

I get it every now and them and it can be so painful! hopefully surgery sorts it for you

Colin_scottish:

xichrisxi:

Does not sound good lets hope it settles down but i do agree when its cold your hand and wrist does hurt.

He did say after the op it went from a sharp pain to a dull ache now and again so definitely was worth having it done.

We will wait and see the worst part is when you wake up during the night and the pain is shocking at times.Hope it does but also have an issue with the tendon at my thumb think i should have got it sorted sooner.

If its in the right hand…you are in big trouble :wink: …a beer in the left hand can be managed. :smiley: …carpal tunnel syndrome i believe its called…take the op…have your rest…and good luck buddy.

take the op colin you wont regret it.

JIMBO47:
take the op colin you wont regret it.

Im going to take it and its 3 weeks off work hope it does sort it out .

truckyboy:
If its in the right hand…you are in big trouble :wink: …a beer in the left hand can be managed. :smiley: …carpal tunnel syndrome i believe its called…take the op…have your rest…and good luck buddy.

Correct, carpal tunnel syndrome. I suffered from this around 20 years ago. Can be caused by vibration through the wheel. Luckily, it slowly disappeared over a period of time. It doesnt affect the whole hand, only three digits…

Aye Andrew ,vibration from the scrap I started out on got worse over the yrs especialy in damp winter days…affected my right hand as well 4 fingers ■■■■ things would lock up or worse curl up .used to get injections into the tendon “slide” …a real eyewatering event.

My local GP gave me the carpal tunnel steroid Injection into my wrist 3 years ago and it has been fine ever since, have you not asked for that?
I really think having the operation is a last resort.

Steroid Injection for CTS

Take the operation as soon as you can. I left it too long and still have problems, but it is a massive improvement on what it was. You’re right the pain in the night was horrendous. Mine was caused by repetitive strain injury I was working as a fibreglass laminater at the time. I had both wrists done at the same time it was inconvenient for a while but well worth it.

Mrs Socketset has had the op - and hasn’t looked back. Didn’t take long after stitches were removed that she was fully fit.

Hasn’t recurred which is a blessing because she’d had two injections and they hadn’t lasted and she was really suffering, like somebody had just whacked her funny bone and made everything tingle/numb down her forearm.

Her other wrist, the left hand, has luckily responded to a jab that she had about five years ago now.

moomooland:
My local GP gave me the carpal tunnel steroid Injection into my wrist 3 years ago and it has been fine ever since, have you not asked for that?
I really think having the operation is a last resort.

Steroid Injection for CTS

Ive had 3 injections and it not helped so this is the last choice left.

knight2:
Take the operation as soon as you can. I left it too long and still have problems, but it is a massive improvement on what it was. You’re right the pain in the night was horrendous. Mine was caused by repetitive strain injury I was working as a fibreglass laminater at the time. I had both wrists done at the same time it was inconvenient for a while but well worth it.

Just waiting on a date for the op now its 3 weeks off work hope the weather is nice when am off.Hope it does help there is nothing worse than when at work and you cant write properly because of the pins and needles and numbness.

JIMBO47:
Aye Andrew ,vibration from the scrap I started out on got worse over the yrs especialy in damp winter days…affected my right hand as well 4 fingers ■■■■ things would lock up or worse curl up .used to get injections into the tendon “slide” …a real eyewatering event.

I get it in 4 fingers and i agree the injections are as you say an eye watering event.They dont know if it was when i got my thumb trapped between two full milk tets when unloading a trailer or because of work or when i was on the army.

I recon it was old plant vibrating so much through the wheel ,then a time on landfill machines and working a jackhammer :smiling_imp: ,as time went on decades I started to fail to hold on to things and whack my fingers when going to work levers (as they locked straight out).when it got to bad it was I’m away to the docs for injections boss see ya tomorrow (he had similar aliment). Have to say if I had done something years back and spoke up about the vibration and wearing earmuffs(near deaf in one ear) I would be in much better state nowadays. but it wasny the done thing them days.

Saw the title and wondered if someone had tried to take a 16’ double decker through by mistake.