Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Have you ever had it, heard of it, or know someone whos had it?.

Ive just been diagnosed and the doctor said it was probably down to the job i do.

The physio also said its possibly an R.S.I.

so the hanbury davies guy from some earlier post probably had carpal tunnel syndrome as well then :smiley: or rsi allegedly

jammymutt,TRY LOOKING THROUGH THESE LINKS

HERE

It can be very painfull Jammy, my other half had this a several years ago and ended up having it operated on, she was told not to drive for six weeks afterwards, amongst other things, so as not to aggravate it.

Cheers Pete I left the doctors today in a fit of happiness knowing i had 2 weeks on the sick but after i got home i thought WTF is this thing and had a few searches on the net, and found out a few bits about it, I know its probably impossible to sue an employer for it I just wondered if anyone else had suffered it or knew of it.

For those of you who dont know what happens, It is when you are asleep (mainly) and wake up with your hands having pins and needles, I personally can bang my hands on the wall and dont feel a thing but a few seconds after it is bloody sore when my hand wakes up.

This is what ive got to wear for two weeks in order to try and cure it but when i get back to work i need to wear it when sleeping as “often as possible”.

usera.imagecave.com/jammymutt/Hand1.JPG

The golder bit in the middle has a metal plate inside it.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome can sometimes be inherited. Its in the genes with some people so nothing actually causes it. It just happens.
It can vary from mildly irritiating pins and needles to numbness in the hand or hand and arm or really painful and tender.
Treatment depends on the individual patient so varies.
It is rarely caused by repetative strain.
Sorry to hear you are suffering and hope you get it sorted soon.

I have had both wrists operated on, at the same time. Being the idiot that i am I left it as long as I could before going to the doctors and getting it sorted. I could only drive a short distance before i had to change hands on the steering wheel ( I wasn’t driving for a living at this time) and could only ride my motorbike for about five miles without my hands going totally numb. Couldn’t sleep at night for the pain in my arms, had to keep getting up and excersising them.
Had the operation, result lefthand 100% success, righthand 95%, that is to say I still get a tingling sensation sometimes but not often. If I remember right i had about 10 weeks off work after the op but this was mainly down to my job involing a lot of heavy lifting.
Mine was down to RSI. A couple of years or so after my elbows started playing up in a similar way faced with two more ops to keep doing my job I took my HGV and became a driver.

knight:
I have had both wrists operated on, at the same time. Being the idiot that i am I left it as long as I could before going to the doctors and getting it sorted. I could only drive a short distance before i had to change hands on the steering wheel ( I wasn’t driving for a living at this time) and could only ride my motorbike for about five miles without my hands going totally numb. Couldn’t sleep at night for the pain in my arms, had to keep getting up and excersising them.
Had the operation, result lefthand 100% success, righthand 95%, that is to say I still get a tingling sensation sometimes but not often. If I remember right i had about 10 weeks off work after the op but this was mainly down to my job involing a lot of heavy lifting.
Mine was down to RSI. A couple of years or so after my elbows started playing up in a similar way faced with two more ops to keep doing my job I took my HGV and became a driver.

Thats exactly how i am feeling at the minute and yes i left it for ages too its been about 3 months before i went to the docs about it.

I had it for a while when I was working in IT - was quite painful, and didn’t help sleeping since I would wake up with pins and needles in my hands. Seems to have cleared up since I gave up keyboard bashing for a living…

G

Jammy I hope it gets better with out having an op, but if it doesn’t the op does cure it. I went to the docs in the end because I kept dropping my tools at work.
By the way the op was done under Local anathestic which was probably the most painful bit, Oh except when one of the surgeons cut a bit deeper than the anathestic. Went in to hospital in the morning and was back home for mid afternoon.

My old fella had his carpul tunnel thingy done about 2 years ago jammy,he’s been driving artics for 40 years and the quack put it down to his job, ive just asked him how it is now 2 years on, after the op, and he said its the best thing he ever had done, but he was off work for 2 weeks though