Carnival driving

:confused: can any one help? i usually help out in the local carnival by driving my truck. i have been told that this is no longer possible as ive got a digi tacho and it messes up my weekend break as i have to class it as working time? is this correct? thanks for any help.

contact VOSA to get an exemption if you are not being paid - they will tell you what to do in regard to the digi tacho.

I’ll assume that the truck you drive has a maximum permitted mass exceeding 7.5 tonnes, in which case there is no such thing as ‘private driving,’ any driving you do will be counted towards; daily, weekly and fortnight totals. As the driving and ‘helping out’ at the carnival would be classified as ‘work’ you would probably have insufficient weekly rest - dependant upon shift start and finish times. It doesn’t matter that you are / are not being paid.

VOSA are a law enforcement body, they cannot give ‘exemptions.’

ROG:
contact VOSA to get an exemption if you are not being paid - they will tell you what to do in regard to the digi tacho.

sorry badly worded :blush: - contact VOSA who will point you in the right direction

thanks you guys, i drive a 44 tonner but wasnt sure about how the tacho would work. thanks…

heyup123:
:…i have been told that this is no longer possible as ive got a digi tacho …

BTW, it is nothing to do with you having a digi tacho, the same would apply if you had an analogue one.

I’ll assume that the truck you drive has a maximum permitted mass exceeding 7.5 tonnes, in which case there is no such thing as ‘private driving,’

Not completely correct. It depends if the vehicle is registered as private or as haulage.
Driving school vehicles for example are over 7.5 tonnes but registered as private so no tacho needed at any time.

Mothertrucker:
It depends if the vehicle is registered as private or as haulage.

Not any more, the law changed on the 11th April this year so only vehicles that are 7.5t or lower are tacho exempt even when privately used. It didn’t change with regard to training vehicles though which is why they are still exempt.

ROG:

ROG:

sorry badly worded :blush: - contact VOSA who will point you in the right direction

VOSA have the srews well locked down as I fell into the same problem last year with our gala day. :imp:
But it was all very stange as over the weekend the fuse went and had to go to volvo first thing on Monday :smiley:

:open_mouth: Thank goodness you remembered to fill out a manual card then :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Mothertrucker:
Not completely correct. It depends if the vehicle is registered as private or as haulage.
Driving school vehicles for example are over 7.5 tonnes but registered as private so no tacho needed at any time.

I’m not entirely sure that I agree with that statement. Whilst they are ‘taxed’ as Private, the exemption was/is (IIRC) ‘by a person for the purposes of undergoing a Driving Test’, or words to that effect.

Hence someone needing a ‘refresher’ after being off the road for a few years, would need to use a tacho. As would the instructor driving the vehicle back after someone had taken a test.

Similarly, the instructor, ‘running the vehicle round to the repairers’ would need a chart. I know that I used to use one, even though I am sufficiently qualified to claim it was a bone fide ‘test drive’. Not that they were ever kept for the requisite period. :wink:

One would hope that VOSA have ‘bigger fish to fry’.