Carlsberg / Norbert's Northampton

Has anybody worked nights for Carlsberg (run by Norbert’s) in Northampton?

If so, what are the work/pay/motors/management/like?

I know several good blokes who have gone there, and buggered off again sharpish within days or weeks, didn’t say too much about the motors or pay, presumably the lorries had a steering wheel and the pay normalish, but the attitude of some (many) of their colleagues, not necessarily manager types, and mind numbing job boredom drove them away quickly.

These blokes were used to hard graft and work requiring more input than just being a bum on a seat and a pair of hands to attend a wheel.

I have heard there new trailers are a nightmare

Mate of mine worked for nobby’s. Not northampton though. He stayed a week and was on £7.25 p/h class one

from what i have seen when knocking about its fleet spec mercs and what the poster said above about the trailers, they take about 30 minutes to unstrap and almost 3/4 of a hour to restrap dependant on whats loaded (they have the nappie over the top of the load on bungeycords). easy work and mostly trunking to CT depots but will be tip and reload empties elsewhere. don’t see many CT trucks in places like morrisons or tescos so don’t know if thats dragged by third party hauliers.

the money is less than the carlsberg lads could make in the 90’s apparently according to a old hand that now works for us.

easy job so give it a go nothing to lose

jonboy

fingers:
from what i have seen when knocking about its fleet spec mercs and what the poster said above about the trailers, they take about 30 minutes to unstrap and almost 3/4 of a hour to restrap dependant on whats loaded (they have the nappie over the top of the load on bungeycords). easy work and mostly trunking to CT depots but will be tip and reload empties elsewhere. don’t see many CT trucks in places like morrisons or tescos so don’t know if thats dragged by third party hauliers.

the money is less than the carlsberg lads could make in the 90’s apparently according to a old hand that now works for us.

easy job so give it a go nothing to lose

jonboy

Do you, or anybody else, have a picture of this type of trailer/restraining equipment? I’m not overly sure what you mean?

donbur.co.uk/eng/features/loadrestraint.php

Look for “Loadfix”

We have trialed them, for us, its to stop kegs bouncing down the road if a trailer goes on its side. The lads reckon it adds 15 minutes to secure the load. The ratchet “5T” system is a right pain imho, great once its applied but to thread the straps through is a bit of a mare.

Stowing the straps away is not without effort lol, DB reckon it can be done “Effortlessly” ,yea right :smiling_imp:

Over the past year VOSA have stopped us and taken photos of keg loads, and have researched different types of trailers/loads, fair enough, just proves they are pro active, and yes we still have cretins who do not even use inner curtains to secure the load.

If you spill a load the firm looks at your speed on telematics and to see if the inner curtains have been used.

There you go another reason why we keep to the speed limits ! :wink:

I used to work as security in the Carlsberg brewery gatehouse in Northampton and 90% of the Class 1 drivers I encountered on nightshift (a lot) did nothing but shuttle runs between the three sites in Northampton (Brewery, Swan Valley and King’s Heath). The Tuborg tanker guys seemed to be the only ones doing trunking.

That was in 2009 so all may have changed now!